The Student Room Group

Failing Probation

Hi, is there any support I can get with ACAS or my union when it comes to failing probation and having to attend a probation hearing. My employer have said that I have underperformed and not improved (I don't agree that I've not improved) and said I'm likely to be dismissed. I've just been offered job off my own merit and this would prevent me from continuing with this job offer. I feel they're trying to stop me from leaving and trying to jeopardise my career. They've said my telephone manner is 'abrupt' - I wouldn't change the way I speak to people because I certainly don't consider myself to be abrupt. Please advise me... I'm about to exchange for my first house and cannot be without a job.
Original post by laninadeidiomas
Hi, is there any support I can get with ACAS or my union when it comes to failing probation and having to attend a probation hearing. My employer have said that I have underperformed and not improved (I don't agree that I've not improved) and said I'm likely to be dismissed. I've just been offered job off my own merit and this would prevent me from continuing with this job offer. I feel they're trying to stop me from leaving and trying to jeopardise my career. They've said my telephone manner is 'abrupt' - I wouldn't change the way I speak to people because I certainly don't consider myself to be abrupt. Please advise me... I'm about to exchange for my first house and cannot be without a job.

You use the phrase "my union". Does that mean that you're a member of a union (i.e. you've actively joined one), or are you just talking about the union which is most active where you work?

If you're a member of a union, they you should definitely contact them and request assistance.
Reply 2
Yes I've actively joined the union that works with the Trust, but only within the last few days, because I've never found them helpful before. However, I've read that you have to be a member for 4 weeks before they can help you with anything. This might work out in time... I have to be given 2 weeks notice of the probation hearing and i haven't heard anything yet. I feel its very unfair and that they are trying to do me from progressing elsewhere. I perform most of my tasks well . They don't distribute the rota tasks equally and put me in the phone all the time, so I don't have the opportunity to carry out my job role.
Yes I've actively joined the union that works with the Trust, but only within the last few days, because I've never found them helpful before. However, I've read that you have to be a member for 4 weeks before they can help you with anything. This might work out in time... I have to be given 2 weeks notice of the probation hearing and i haven't heard anything yet. I feel its very unfair and that they are trying to do me from progressing elsewhere. I perform most of my tasks well . They don't distribute the rota tasks equally and put me in the phone all the time, so I don't have the opportunity to carry out my job role.

Understood. Hopefully your union will be able to help.

BTW, you say, "I've just been offered job off my own merit". Is that job offer dependent on you successfully completing the probationary period where you currently are?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. Hopefully your union will be able to help.

BTW, you say, "I've just been offered job off my own merit". Is that job offer dependent on you successfully completing the probationary period where you currently are?

Yes it is, because it's the same employer, just different location.
They've said my telephone manner is 'abrupt' - I wouldn't change the way I speak to people because I certainly don't consider myself to be abrupt. Please advise me... I'm about to exchange for my first house and cannot be without a job.

This seems a strange position you have put yourself in. All you have to do is change your telephone manner, and you can keep your house. Seems like a no-brainer of a decision to make, and making a drama out of it is utterly self-destructive.

Do you want to prove you are right (which you almost certainly aren't btw), or live in your new house?
Reply 6

Is the telephone manner the only issue or are their other issues raised?

Do you accept that they have a point about your telephone manner or do you completely disagree?

If you accept that you may come across as abrupt at times, have you thought of taking on board what they say about the telephone manner?
Reply 7
There are other issues raised. However, they have left me to my own devices and not fully trained me.

I disagree with the telephone manner- I wouldn't change anything, as I don't consider that I have an abrupt telephone manner or tone. I think it's very harsh for them to suggest this. I've worked really hard, minuted meetings that they don't want to minute, answered high volumes of calls amongst other duties. I've had no time off sick and I am punctual. I've been late going to lunch, because the managers don't monitor things and worked beyond my time, raised it twice with manager and not been paid for it.
There are other issues raised. However, they have left me to my own devices and not fully trained me.

I disagree with the telephone manner- I wouldn't change anything, as I don't consider that I have an abrupt telephone manner or tone. I think it's very harsh for them to suggest this. I've worked really hard, minuted meetings that they don't want to minute, answered high volumes of calls amongst other duties. I've had no time off sick and I am punctual. I've been late going to lunch, because the managers don't monitor things and worked beyond my time, raised it twice with manager and not been paid for it.

Presumably their assertion that your "telephone manner is 'abrupt'" and the "other issues" were raise before you secured the job offer at the other location? So at that point they weren't "trying to stop me from leaving" at that point? Agreed?

The fact that you're adamant that you're right about your telephone manner and that they're wrong is odd. Do you have any colleagues who sit near you who you can trust to provide an honest opinion. If they said you can be abrupt, would you disbelieve them too?
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
Presumably their assertion that your "telephone manner is 'abrupt'" and the "other issues" were raise before you secured the job offer at the other location? So at that point they weren't "trying to stop me from leaving" at that point? Agreed?

The fact that you're adamant that you're right about your telephone manner and that they're wrong is odd. Do you have any colleagues who sit near you who you can trust to provide an honest opinion. If they said you can be abrupt, would you disbelieve them too?

I've improved with things since then, because I had a bit of training provided. The other session of training was supposed to take place with one of the managers and it never happened and she never brought it up. They have equally failed at managing people appropriately. A lot of the improvement targets are things I've never been told about our taught.... and they are blaming me for the work that isn't up to their expected standard because of the lack of training and intervention. I've been accused of being away from my desk for long periods of time...I hardly leave my desk- only at lunch, whereas my colleague takes personal calls at her desk and sometimes away on her mobile and her mobile is always right next to her and I was told off for having my phone next to my keyboard....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending