The Student Room Group

Can I get kicked off of my A-level course if I do badly in my end of year 12 mocks?

So my end of year mocks are coming up, and I know that they're important as they determine my Uni predicted grades etc, but mostly I'm worried that I'll do really badly on my History exams, and then I'll be kicked off the course. This is mainly because my teachers have said things about how if we under perform, they will need to 're-evaluate our places on their course' so now I'm really worried that I won't do well, and i'll need to start a year over in order to take another course. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 1
I don't know about your school, but at my sixth form the teachers will not kick you off the course, no matter how badly you do. Re-evaluating your place might just mean having a serious talk with you about your commitment and work ethic, and they might tell you to do extra work after school/get tutoring/go to catch-up or extra revision sessions. If you would like some more peace of mind about it, I would suggest asking either your teachers or the head of the subjects, maybe even someone higher up like a vice principal etc. Hope this helped & hope your exams go well!
Reply 2
Original post by gskelly
So my end of year mocks are coming up, and I know that they're important as they determine my Uni predicted grades etc, but mostly I'm worried that I'll do really badly on my History exams, and then I'll be kicked off the course. This is mainly because my teachers have said things about how if we under perform, they will need to 're-evaluate our places on their course' so now I'm really worried that I won't do well, and i'll need to start a year over in order to take another course. Any advice would be appreciated!

You don't need to start the whole year over
In most cases, they'll let you continue with 2 A Levels and make you pick 1 AS subject (so u'd have to pick Unis that look at specific UCAS points)
Only if you do badly in all, they'd make you redo the year
Reply 3
Original post by gskelly

This seems a bit harsh to be honest with you, the most I’ve ever encountered is a few people being required to repeat a year due to poor performance in lower sixth, I’ve certainly never seen anyone be told not to come back. Whilst I’m sure schools’ policies on this differ, I would be incredibly surprised if they kick you out for one poor mock exam - maybe this would be slightly different if you weren’t working all year or had a poor attitude to your work, which is where the threat might be coming from. The chances are, that if you’re the type of person who’s worrying about this enough to be asking for advice on it, you’re most likely not one of the ones it was directed at.

As far as the exams go, I’m no historian, but it’s never too late to ask for help and go over your notes (unless you’re in the exam hall!). Just breathe for a second and calm down when you get your paper and then do the best that you can do.
Reply 4
Original post by Paddy2005
This seems a bit harsh to be honest with you, the most I’ve ever encountered is a few people being required to repeat a year due to poor performance in lower sixth, I’ve certainly never seen anyone be told not to come back. Whilst I’m sure schools’ policies on this differ, I would be incredibly surprised if they kick you out for one poor mock exam - maybe this would be slightly different if you weren’t working all year or had a poor attitude to your work, which is where the threat might be coming from. The chances are, that if you’re the type of person who’s worrying about this enough to be asking for advice on it, you’re most likely not one of the ones it was directed at.

As far as the exams go, I’m no historian, but it’s never too late to ask for help and go over your notes (unless you’re in the exam hall!). Just breathe for a second and calm down when you get your paper and then do the best that you can do.

I think they meant kicked off the course, not kicked out of the school
Great ending advice tho, I might do that b4 my exam tmrw :smile:
Best thing to do is speak to your school/college directly, as like others have said, each school/college will have their own policy, for example at my college, if you don’t get at least a D at AS level, you cannot continue on to do the A level
Reply 6
Original post by gskelly
So my end of year mocks are coming up, and I know that they're important as they determine my Uni predicted grades etc, but mostly I'm worried that I'll do really badly on my History exams, and then I'll be kicked off the course. This is mainly because my teachers have said things about how if we under perform, they will need to 're-evaluate our places on their course' so now I'm really worried that I won't do well, and i'll need to start a year over in order to take another course. Any advice wIt's illegalould be appreciated!

You can only be kicked off for behaviour reasons -

Quick Reply

Latest