The Student Room Group

Is my teacher allowed to do this?

Hi,

I'm in Y12 and heading into Y13 in September. I have always been aiming for Oxford and failing that a Russell Group/highly ranked university. This is something that I have been working on for years and my head teacher, exams officer and head of year are all convinced that I could get the three As I need at Oxford.

We had our mocks at Easter and at the time I was studying for AS Level Maths to help support my uni application so essentially speaking between revising for that when I don't understand Maths well and three subjects to do mocks in in a very short amount of time, my revision wasn't as sufficient as it could have been. The school also did not tell us until after we sat them that this was where the majority of our UCAS information came from.

After the mocks I came out with BBC (English, Politics and History in that order) and I spoke to the exams officer asking if I could resit them now that my maths was out the way and he said (and I quote) "You're already where we'd want to see you at this point in the course, and your UCAS grades will be one maybe two depending on classwork higher than your mock results. So that's looking at AAB and all your teachers will be instructed to give any student that asks for it extra work to help build up their UCAS grade".

My parents and I spoke to the history department and they gave me lots of work to get on with and I left the other two subjects because I was under the impression that the UCAS front was fine and after the intense focus on history before the Oxbridge UCAS deadline, I would be able to start revising all three of them in depth before the exams.

Yesterday, we got our UCAS predictions and I got ABB (English, Politics and History) and I was gutted. This would mean I couldn't apply to my top 4 unis which all required a minimum of AAB (which is what the school had given me the impression I would be best applying to) and the particular course I want to study doesn't tend to offer places any lower than that wherever city you go to.

I spoke to my history teacher again and she said "don't worry you can definitely do this by the internal Oxbridge deadline" and that she'd check her emails every 2/3 days in the holidays and that I could keep in touch with any questions/essays etc.

My politics teacher... not as easy.

I told him I was confused as to how I got the B in the mock and even a low B would become a low A, which is still the A I need for UCAS. He said that I'd been bouncing around B/C all year but we've never done any official assessments and the majority of essay questions we have written were done in December time. This to me strikes as almost lazy on their front because most other subjects are doing regular in-class exam-condition assessments all through the year not homework essays before we really know the structure of them. If that B in the mock came with a maths exam, not much time and less revision than I'd like, then logically I will get an A in Politics next summer but I appreciate that my teacher isn't looking at that.

But anyway, I have the B and I asked how I could help bring that up. He didn't tell me to do anything. I asked if I could write essays "I don't want you to bombard me with essays". It's not bombarding him if it's one student in a class of seven and he only teaches three classes across Y9 - Y13. One GCSE Business class, our Politics and an A Level Economics so it's not really going to overwhelming like it might if I asked my English teacher who teaches everyone from Y7+.

He also said to me (with my friend in the room) this direct quote "I wouldn't put my mortgage, and I highly doubt your parents would put their mortgage, on you getting As in those exams. I don't think anyone would. I'm not going to say you can't but I think you need to find a university thats asking for BBB." This is the complete opposite of what I've planned for or what teachers and the head have told me in the past. I got home and started crying because he'd completely destroyed my confidence.

This feels wrong that my future lies in the hands of a man that couldn't care less about me. I am willing to start writing an essay everyday if I need to to build these grades up but I can't do that unless he's willing to mark them or even skim read them. Is he allowed to say that he's not going to help me? I'm not asking him to move me from a D to an A -- it's one grade and without that I'm not going to have the motivation to even work hard in my A Levels because what's the point in getting AAA and sitting there on results day and thinking "I could've gone to Oxford but I couldn't apply because I had a crap teacher".

I'm having a meeting with the exams officer/head where I will be calling out him and how he's treating this but is he actually allowed to say that he won't help? Especially if as the exams officer said, they've all been instructed to help us raise our grades.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry if this doesn’t help your immediate situation but if you can’t get the predicted grades you want its not the end of the world to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades then
Original post by kitty_e_06
Hi,

I'm in Y12 and heading into Y13 in September. I have always been aiming for Oxford and failing that a Russell Group/highly ranked university. This is something that I have been working on for years and my head teacher, exams officer and head of year are all convinced that I could get the three As I need at Oxford.

We had our mocks at Easter and at the time I was studying for AS Level Maths to help support my uni application so essentially speaking between revising for that when I don't understand Maths well and three subjects to do mocks in in a very short amount of time, my revision wasn't as sufficient as it could have been. The school also did not tell us until after we sat them that this was where the majority of our UCAS information came from.

After the mocks I came out with BBC (English, Politics and History in that order) and I spoke to the exams officer asking if I could resit them now that my maths was out the way and he said (and I quote) "You're already where we'd want to see you at this point in the course, and your UCAS grades will be one maybe two depending on classwork higher than your mock results. So that's looking at AAB and all your teachers will be instructed to give any student that asks for it extra work to help build up their UCAS grade".

My parents and I spoke to the history department and they gave me lots of work to get on with and I left the other two subjects because I was under the impression that the UCAS front was fine and after the intense focus on history before the Oxbridge UCAS deadline, I would be able to start revising all three of them in depth before the exams.

Yesterday, we got our UCAS predictions and I got ABB (English, Politics and History) and I was gutted. This would mean I couldn't apply to my top 4 unis which all required a minimum of AAB (which is what the school had given me the impression I would be best applying to) and the particular course I want to study doesn't tend to offer places any lower than that wherever city you go to.

I spoke to my history teacher again and she said "don't worry you can definitely do this by the internal Oxbridge deadline" and that she'd check her emails every 2/3 days in the holidays and that I could keep in touch with any questions/essays etc.

I told him I was confused as to how I got the B in the mock and even a low B would become a low A, which is still the A I need for UCAS. He said that I'd been bouncing around B/C all year but we've never done any official assessments and the majority of essay questions we have written were done in December time. This to me strikes as almost lazy on their front because most other subjects are doing regular in-class exam-condition assessments all through the year not homework essays before we really know the structure of them. If that B in the mock came with a maths exam, not much time and less revision than I'd like, then logically I will get an A in Politics next summer but I appreciate that my teacher isn't looking at that.

But anyway, I have the B and I asked how I could help bring that up. He didn't tell me to do anything. I asked if I could write essays "I don't want you to bombard me with essays". It's not bombarding him if it's one student in a class of seven and he only teaches three classes across Y9 - Y13. One GCSE Business class, our Politics and an A Level Economics so it's not really going to overwhelming like it might if I asked my English teacher who teaches everyone from Y7+.

He also said to me (with my friend in the room) this direct quote "I wouldn't put my mortgage, and I highly doubt your parents would put their mortgage, on you getting As in those exams. I don't think anyone would. I'm not going to say you can't but I think you need to find a university thats asking for BBB." This is the complete opposite of what I've planned for or what teachers and the head have told me in the past. I got home and started crying because he'd completely destroyed my confidence.

This feels wrong that my future lies in the hands of a man that couldn't care less about me. I am willing to start writing an essay everyday if I need to to build these grades up but I can't do that unless he's willing to mark them or even skim read them. Is he allowed to say that he's not going to help me? I'm not asking him to move me from a D to an A -- it's one grade and without that I'm not going to have the motivation to even work hard in my A Levels because what's the point in getting AAA and sitting there on results day and thinking "I could've gone to Oxford but I couldn't apply because I had a crap teacher".

I'm having a meeting with the exams officer/head where I will be calling out him and how he's treating this but is he actually allowed to say that he won't help? Especially if as the exams officer said, they've all been instructed to help us raise our grades.

Don't throw your toys out of the pram, ie stopping working. Even if your politics teacher doesn't cooperate then get the A you require anyway in the actual A-level and take a (constructive) gap year while applying to the universities you want.
Reply 3
Hi,

Yes i cant see why he cant say no. He is not saying he wont help, more that he isnt going to do additional work specifically for your benefit above what he would do normally. If every person did additional essays the teacher would be 6 feet under in no time.

It does sound tough for you though, but as other posters have said you can take a gap year etc. I know its a tough lesson but sometimes our own expectations, wants and desires dont always match reality. No shame in reevaluating your plan, take advice on and change tack (unis accepting all BBBs can be great also, remember its demand/popularity also that pushes grade requirements up also, not always equivalent to quality....example being taylor swift). Success isnt made with achievements but instead how well you cope with difficulties like this.

Greg
Reply 4
I've just finished yr13, and had a whale of a time with UCAS predicted in a situation that involved a troublesome teacher, so I can somewhat sympathise here. I also had a teacher try to sabotage a UCAS application with a predicted B grade (she spent the entire year absenting herself and being completely unhelpful - thank god that everyone else had their heads screwed on)

Your history teacher seems to have a really good approach to the situation - I'd tend to agree that you can make a big jump over the summer so there's nothing that sticks out to me there. I went from a C to an A in 3-4 weeks and half of the time it's technique based!

Your politics teacher is out of line completely - first of all, I'd bomb him with emails and essays to mark anyways, and then I'd go discuss your concerns with your parents and the school in a meeting if possible as he's made a completely inappropriate comment, not least in front of other students!! He sounds completely unbothered and not the type of person you want teaching you. Are there any other politics teachers in your school you could get onboard with? Or you could consider a tutor as well, as he sounds like a pain to work with. The truth is, you only need him to teach the content - you don't need his validation in any way.

As for actual predicted grades - if your head is on your side, it sounds like you'll get what you want. If that doesn't work, I tend to find that kicking off in the worst case scenario usually works (but don't jump to this) - I wouldn't stress about UCAS predicted as they tend to give you what you want anyways..
Reply 5
Original post by greg tony
Yes i cant see why he cant say no. He is not saying he wont help, more that he isnt going to do additional work specifically for your benefit above what he would do normally. If every person did additional essays the teacher would be 6 feet under in no time.

It does sound tough for you though, but as other posters have said you can take a gap year etc. I know its a tough lesson but sometimes our own expectations, wants and desires dont always match reality. No shame in reevaluating your plan, take advice on and change tack (unis accepting all BBBs can be great also, remember its demand/popularity also that pushes grade requirements up also, not always equivalent to quality....example being taylor swift). Success isnt made with achievements but instead how well you cope with difficulties like this.

Greg

"He's not saying he won't help, more that he isn't going to do additional work specifically for your benefit" - that is literally refusing to help this person. The teacher has determined the predicted grade, and when OP is presenting a solution he's getting in the way of it. Teacher clearly isn't doing his job properly if he isn't willing to mark a few extra essays - it also sounds here that he's too stretched across other subjects, which is also the schools fault.

"If everyone did additional essays..." - they aren't though?

"Uni's accepting BBB can be great also" - yeah, if you want a degree that makes you nowhere near as competitive as your peers in a competitive work environment, and OP is clearly better than that if they have aspirations for Oxford.
Reply 6
Hi,

AAB isn't good enough for Oxbridge anyway.

Don't apply this year, focus on getting the grades next summer and applying in a gap year.
Reply 7
Original post by BarnabyK
"He's not saying he won't help, more that he isn't going to do additional work specifically for your benefit" - that is literally refusing to help this person. The teacher has determined the predicted grade, and when OP is presenting a solution he's getting in the way of it. Teacher clearly isn't doing his job properly if he isn't willing to mark a few extra essays - it also sounds here that he's too stretched across other subjects, which is also the schools fault.

"If everyone did additional essays..." - they aren't though?

"Uni's accepting BBB can be great also" - yeah, if you want a degree that makes you nowhere near as competitive as your peers in a competitive work environment, and OP is clearly better than that if they have aspirations for Oxford.

The OP hasnt even said what subject he is aiming for, so not sure how you assume oxford or Russell group must be the best uni for them. Having aspirations are great but just because i want to be an astronaut does not mean i am better or even suited to it. Reality must take precedence.

I think you have a poor and very limited view on universities also.Only some very specific subjects recruit directly from limited courses or unis (thinking law for big firms as key example). The vast majority of roles have no relationship to the university you attend, it is more often on the classification or subject you come out with. I know this is a shocking thing to hear but again reality must take precedence.

Yes all teachers should magic time in the diary to set and mark additional material.

Lets get back to the OP now.

Greg
Reply 8
Original post by BarnabyK

As for actual predicted grades - if your head is on your side, it sounds like you'll get what you want. If that doesn't work, I tend to find that kicking off in the worst case scenario usually works (but don't jump to this) - I wouldn't stress about UCAS predicted as they tend to give you what you want anyways..

NO they don't. I am judged on the accuracy of my predictions and no way would I predict a grade I don't believe a student will achieve. How does it help someone to end up in clearing?
I would agree with most posters here. In the end, predicted grades need to be robust otherwise it can set students up to end with no offers at all. So there is a process teachers need to go through for all their students.

Apply to your aspirational choices, throw in a couple of BBB courses as decent back ups. Go through the process of going to open days and evaluating the actual modules on all on the courses. Think about the area of the country you would feel happiest to live in. Its easy to get drawn into a tunnel vision when looking at Unis and whilst a Russell Group univeristy may end up top of your list after all this, the RG thing really isn't everything.

If, at the end of year 13, you don't get into your most favourite of courses and you have achieved the grades that would get you in the next year, take a gap year and reapply with actual (not predicted) grades. Believe me, it puts you in a stronger position.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
Hi,

If you have been bouncing around B/C all year in Politics, getting a UCAS grade B sounds correct, especially if your mock grade was not close to an A. Your best bet might be to try to convince your school to set you another mock in Sep/Oct with a view to revising your UCAS prediction if you do really well.

Although Oxford might have "AAA" as a minimum, most successful applicants will have much higher grades than that I'm afraid. From Oxfords applications statists - "91.2% of admitted students were awarded A*AA or better at A-level"
(edited 9 months ago)
You aren't good enough for an A prediction. Simple as that.
Hi,

Sorry to write this but I think your teacher is an animal. He had no rights to say those horrible words to you and to crush your dreams in that manner.

Yes, speak to your exams officer but be careful that you are not sabotaged in the process.

I would still recommend that you apply to Oxford and other RG unis. Maybe consider a course in English, since you are on track to secure an A or English & History. If it does not work out, you can always try next year but do not give up on your dream.

Good luck
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lalexm
If you have been bouncing around B/C all year in Politics, getting a UCAS grade B sounds correct, especially if your mock grade was not close to an A. Your best bet might be to try to convince your school to set you another mock in Sep/Oct with a view to revising your UCAS prediction if you do really well.

Although Oxford might have "AAA" as a minimum, most successful applicants will have much higher grades than that I'm afraid. From Oxfords applications statists - "91.2% of admitted students were awarded A*AA or better at A-level"

Even if the OP was around B/C a lot of student put a lot more effort over summer epically during year 13.
Original post by Rainyzack
Even if the OP was around B/C a lot of student put a lot more effort over summer epically during year 13.

And many don't hence the B prediction.
Original post by Uni_student3132
And many don't hence the B prediction.

True but the teacher isn’t even trying to help the student prove that they can get a higher grade. Since they can’t even be bothered to improve the grade. Which is just unfair. If the student is clearly trying to improve there grade. I don’t see why it’s hard to predict them a higher grade. As long as they continue to work hard.
True but the teacher isn’t even trying to help the student prove that they can get a higher grade. Since they can’t even be bothered to improve the grade. Which is just unfair. If the student is clearly trying to improve there grade. I don’t see why it’s hard to predict them a higher grade. As long as they continue to work hard.

They've had a whole year to improve their grade. They haven't. Teachers have to predict based on their performance and that performance definitely isn't the standard required for an A prediction.
Original post by Uni_student3132
They've had a whole year to improve their grade. They haven't. Teachers have to predict based on their performance and that performance definitely isn't the standard required for an A prediction

The teachers didn’t even tell the student that these mocks are important for UCAS. If they did I’m sure they would have gotten a higher grade. Also these UCAS grades are supposed to be what grades the teachers think the student will get by the end of the year. Clearly the student is trying to improve. A lot of student don’t try in year 12 since they don’t know how important it is for ucas. The student can easily improve over the summer. There is still a WHOLE year left for a student to improve there grade. But if the teacher can’t even be bothered to help them improve then there ucas prediction is just useless. And it pretty clear that there teacher is not a good one. Which can easily affect there grade.
The teachers didn’t even tell the student that these mocks are important for UCAS. If they did I’m sure they would have gotten a higher grade. Also these UCAS grades are supposed to be what grades the teachers think the student will get by the end of the year. Clearly the student is trying to improve. A lot of student don’t try in year 12 since they don’t know how important it is for ucas. The student can easily improve over the summer. There is still a WHOLE year left for a student to improve there grade. But if the teacher can’t even be bothered to help them improve then there ucas prediction is just useless. And it pretty clear that there teacher is not a good one. Which can easily affect there grade.

"A lot of student don’t try in year 12 since they don’t know how important it is for ucas."

And that's the teacher's fault because?

"There is still a WHOLE year left for a student to improve there grade"

With a lot more content that is normally harder. It isn't just a year of doing the same stuff again. If they were getting C/Bs with less content that is easier, they shouldn't be getting A predictions.
Reply 19

Some schools give students who don’t do well in the May/June mocks a 2nd chance by allowing them to do additional mocks right at the end of year 12, and at other schools they do them as soon as they get back in Sep. Don’t know what the policy is at the OP’s school, but based on their performance to date, B sounds fair for their UCAS prediction.

Quick Reply

Latest