The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Mathematics Paper 1 [6th June 2023] Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Guys i’ve messed up more than i thought and gotten about 60 on pure paper 1 but i’m worried this won’t be enough for an A if I try hard for paper 2 and get about the same should it be okay???
Original post by fluffydog1237
Guys i’ve messed up more than i thought and gotten about 60 on pure paper 1 but i’m worried this won’t be enough for an A if I try hard for paper 2 and get about the same should it

In my opinion 60 is enough for an A, people thing grade boundaries are gonna jump to like 65 for an A but we don’t know how hard these other tests are going to be. But I think 60 is an A
Original post by fluffydog1237
Guys i’ve messed up more than i thought and gotten about 60 on pure paper 1 but i’m worried this won’t be enough for an A if I try hard for paper 2 and get about the same should it be okay???

Yeah you're probably on the cusp of an A now, but the same mark in the next 2 should securely put you in the A bracket
Original post by 22gz
It said using a suitable function or sm like that, so there’s prob other ways to do it this was just my way

Anyway it was looking for the point of intersection of lines y = (2e^3x -4)/(e^3x+4) and y = x , if you put that into desmos graphing calc or something you’ll be able to see that the graphs look the same as the one from the diagram they gave us and one of the points of intersection is (0.432,0.432) which was alpha I think or A

When ur finding points of intersection equate you would equate y = (2e^3x -4)/(e^3x+4) and y = x, so what I did was say k(x) = (2e^3x -4)/(e^3x+4) - x, that way when k(x)=0 it would be one of the points of intersection (if you want to visibly look at that if it helps just put my k(x) function into desmos with the other two curves y=the e thing and y=x)

Then use the upper and lower bounds of 0.432 in k(x) to see the sign change and state k(x) is continuous to show that alpha is 0.432 to 3 sf

that does make a perfect sense, thanks for your time and your answer!!!! hope it helps others too and best of luck with the next paper!
Original post by Adela Urban
which function did you input the values 0.4315 and 0.4325 pls?

Plugging into the the derivative formula would've been fine :smile:
I need an A*, and think I've got at least 81% for this paper. I didn't do anything but attempt the differentiation, draw the cobweb diagram, and do the recurrence relation for 15 though. So I've generously given myself 5 marks there. I hope at least a high 70 puts me into the A* bracket.
Original post by toxicgamage56
I need an A*, and think I've got at least 81% for this paper. I didn't do anything but attempt the differentiation, draw the cobweb diagram, and do the recurrence relation for 15 though. So I've generously given myself 5 marks there. I hope at least a high 70 puts me into the A* bracket.

That should be 5 marks and a high 70 will definitely put you in the A*
Original post by af'slrnjffa
That should be 5 marks and a high 70 will definitely put you in the A*

That's a relief. Any other year I would've been sure, but given how everyone is saying the paper was the easiest one they've ever done, I was a bit worried. That's not even factoring in whether I'd be able to keep up the slack for stats/mech. Thanks
please someone do this for paper 2!! 😭😭
Original post by chinkilinguini
please someone do this for paper 2!! 😭😭

right please do tjis @nicholas
Original post by Bookworm524
Question 8 doesn't look right. It gives part b) k=2/3 or 20, but as the series is converging, k would have to be less than 1, therefore is 2/3 not 20

common ratio has to be less than 1, not k. k=20 gave a common ratio of less than 1
Reply 151
Going off 2019 ,if you keep that up, it should theorectically be an A,However, if this year gets higher marks on average it may not be and vice versa,so there isn't a real way to tell. (Original post by B7861)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Tpg24s
Going off 2019 ,if you keep that up, it should theorectically be an A,However, if this year gets higher marks on average it may not be and vice versa,so there isn't a real way to tell. (Original post by B7861)

???
Reply 153
how accurate are these mark schemes? i dont wanna assume i've got 50 marks on each paper and then on results day i did even worse than i thought lol
Reply 154
Original post by mathshnj
how accurate are these mark schemes? i dont wanna assume i've got 50 marks on each paper and then on results day i did even worse than i thought lol

Pretty accurate in terms of the answers, not sure about any working marks
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone,

Below is the unofficial markscheme created by some of our users. This is a resource to help any user who would like to get a better idea of how they might have done. Thanks to @Nicholson1882 for organising and our wonderful community for contributing! See below

where are the answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending