The Student Room Group

Can I apply for medicine?

I know medicine is so competitive and so I just wanted to know whether or not it's worth me actually applying.

I really want to do medicine but I'm worried about my GCSE results. I got seven grade 7s and three grade 8s but I don't know if that's good enough for medicine. I'm in year 12 at the moment and I just sat my mocks and in those, I got an A* in biology and an A in both maths and chemistry.

I have work experience at a hospice and at a pharmacy so I'm hoping that's good enough, but I am trying to get more.
Reply 1
It's worth doing the UCAT test asap. I got 2630 and band 3 in situational judgement and got rejected from all 4 med schools I applied for. Depends on the UCAT score you get, look at what different med schools want the year before and judge if you think it's enough. Give urself time if the UCAT doesn't go well to change ur personal statement to a medicine similar course.
Reply 2
Original post by wizardofoz_
I know medicine is so competitive and so I just wanted to know whether or not it's worth me actually applying.

I really want to do medicine but I'm worried about my GCSE results. I got seven grade 7s and three grade 8s but I don't know if that's good enough for medicine. I'm in year 12 at the moment and I just sat my mocks and in those, I got an A* in biology and an A in both maths and chemistry.

I have work experience at a hospice and at a pharmacy so I'm hoping that's good enough, but I am trying to get more.

Your GCSEs are fine, as long as you avoid med schools that heavily score them
Reply 3
Original post by Noah1585
It's worth doing the UCAT test asap. I got 2630 and band 3 in situational judgement and got rejected from all 4 med schools I applied for. Depends on the UCAT score you get, look at what different med schools want the year before and judge if you think it's enough. Give urself time if the UCAT doesn't go well to change ur personal statement to a medicine similar course.

Ok, will do. Thanks for replying.
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
Your GCSEs are fine, as long as you avoid med schools that heavily score them

Ok, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending