The Student Room Group

Medicine with AAA prediction and UCAT 2680 Band 2

Hiya, I am applying for medicine with my predicted grades AAA and a UCAT score of 2680 Band 2, however Im not sure which Universities nearer to London I can apply to. I am applying to St Georges, Anglia Ruskin, East Anglia, and Kent and Medway. My mum wants me to apply to Queen Mary but I don't think I meet the requirements. Should I apply here, and will I get an offer? I have a plus point of having an active, unique story about my own experiences and interest in medicine.

My 5th choice is also Neuroscience at Kings College London because I find that an interesting course and, so if I don't get in Medicine now, I can apply for graduate Med. Is this worth it or should I opt for Biomedical Sciences/Engineering (if so what is better?)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by shahzadi_
Hiya, I am applying for medicine with my predicted grades AAA and a UCAT score of 2680 Band 2, however Im not sure which Universities nearer to London I can apply to. I am applying to St Georges, Anglia Ruskin, East Anglia, and Kent and Medway. My mum wants me to apply to Queen Mary but I don't think I meet the requirements. Should I apply here, and will I get an offer? I have a plus point of having an active, unique story about my own experiences and interest in medicine.

My 5th choice is also Neuroscience at Kings College London because I find that an interesting course and, so if I don't get in Medicine now, I can apply for graduate Med. Is this worth it or should I opt for Biomedical Sciences/Engineering (if so what is better?)

i think last year's cut off for UEA was 2710 and you fall below the cut off unless you have a guaranteed interview there or something. for queen mary i think cut off was 2720 and if it decreases, it would be very risky to apply thinking it's going to decrease by 40 points. As for your fifth choice, if you don't get in, just focus on your a levels and reapply for the next cycle because graduate med is so so competitive and lots of people fall into the trap of choosing their fifth choice when they get rejected for med without hearing from graduate applicants how hard it is. if you want suggestions about where to apply post your stats in the 'which medical shall i apply to' megathread. Good luck!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3

Barts require A*AA at A level, unless contextual. Nowhere you have mentioned uses PS for shortlisting

My 5th choice is also Neuroscience at Kings College London because I find that an interesting course and, so if I don't get in Medicine now, I can Hi there,

Hi @shahzadi_,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

We are really delighted to hear that you are interested in studying medicine with us! :biggrin: You have a brilliant application, and I am confident that you will be successful in gaining a place at medical school (or any university for that matter)!

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Queen Mary, but what I can confidently say is that you truly do have invaluable skills, and very impressive grades. Any university would be lucky to have such a talented student such as yourself :smile:.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, I also can't say for certain which subject and university you should pick (Though medicine at Kent would be perfect :wink:). However, I can say that it's surprisingly very easy and comfortable transitioning from one subject to another at University if you come to find that the subject is not the right fit for you. There is no shame in transferring subjects, especially as you are able to better understand what you want to study yourself!
My honest recommendation would be to just go and apply for what you truly want to do - regardless if you'll fail or succeed. If you fail, you learn - but better than that, you won't regret not acting on your feelings. If you succeed, then congratulations!

(Time for the shameless plug) Let me tell you a bit about Kent though - Kent and Medway Medical School is a great choice for students who want to study medicine in both a supportive and research-led environment. We offer a world-class medical education, with a focus on clinical skills and patient care. Our graduates go on to have successful careers in medicine, and we are delighted with our record of producing excellent doctors, whom we are immensely proud of!

Our open days will be on the 7th of October for Medway and the 14th of October for Canterbury campus. In my humble opinion, this is a great opportunity to learn more about our medical school and to meet our staff and students.
As for you though, I would recommend using this as an opprtunity to find out what you want and don;t want in a university! Use it as a learning opportunity! We want to see you succeed, regardless of if you join us or not - so we hope you take us up on our invitation! :biggrin:

Personally, I would also recommend you talk to your teachers as well as the University professors and students to get their advice. More information never hurts, and if they don't change your mind - then that hopefully means you already know what you want to go for.

I wish you the best of luck in your applications. I know you'll do incredibly well!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @shahzadi_,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

We are really delighted to hear that you are interested in studying medicine with us! :biggrin: You have a brilliant application, and I am confident that you will be successful in gaining a place at medical school (or any university for that matter)!

60% of applicants to med school get no offers and it was as low as 16% receiving an offer a couple of years ago, so this confidence is misplaced

However, I can say that it's surprisingly very easy and comfortable transitioning from one subject to another at University if you come to find that the subject is not the right fit for you. There is no shame in transferring subjects, especially as you are able to better understand what you want to study yourself!

Not transferring into medicine, it isn't, it is extremely difficult and highly competitive and probably the most difficult route to obtain a place, statistically.
similar ucat to mine, good uni choices but im doing the bmat lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending