The Student Room Group

Fake friends

I’m in year 13, girl , one exam left on the 16th. I’ve had a really hard couple of years, especially in the last 8 months where I’ve been consistently and blatantly left out of my friendship group. I was a part of a bigger group and us 3 had a massive fall out (especially me) with them so since then we decided to be our own trio which we were perfectly fine with. One of them is a “bestfriend” I’ve been in a duo with since year 10 and one of them joined in year 12. For a while now they go out without me all the time , never get invited , other people have noticed this and pointed it out which is really embarrassing. I wish I could make new friends but they’re mainly afflicted with the people me and the trio had initially fallen apart with. I would just seem foolish and manipulative to just join them, and even so they just aren’t that close to me. I don’t know why these girls are doing this to me. It really does hurt and I don’t want to confront them because I have dignity and self respect, they’ve done it way too many times to be an “accident “. And I find they’ve been together when I watch their private stories they literally don’t care that I see. Furthermore what’s strange is I think I care about other people seeing me being left out the most. Because I know other people from school are on their private stories , I am more embarrassed than left out. I don’t know it’s really tough and emotional for me to go through since I’ve stuck by them these past 2 years and it’s just known to everyone that we were a strong trio but turns out it’s a duo.. which is embarrasing on my part. As for summer, people are still gonna be in contact because we’re still school friends and uni hasn’t started so this isssue is probably gonna go on for way longer than just “the end of school “. Please help I don’t know. In school we hang out with eachother but outside of school I’m really not in the picture . I have no other friends just because I’ve upheld this independent, right friendship with these two girls only for me to not even be in it
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in year 13, girl , one exam left on the 16th. I’ve had a really hard couple of years, especially in the last 8 months where I’ve been consistently and blatantly left out of my friendship group. I was a part of a bigger group and us 3 had a massive fall out (especially me) with them so since then we decided to be our own trio which we were perfectly fine with. One of them is a “bestfriend” I’ve been in a duo with since year 10 and one of them joined in year 12. For a while now they go out without me all the time , never get invited , other people have noticed this and pointed it out which is really embarrassing. I wish I could make new friends but they’re mainly afflicted with the people me and the trio had initially fallen apart with. I would just seem foolish and manipulative to just join them, and even so they just aren’t that close to me. I don’t know why these girls are doing this to me. It really does hurt and I don’t want to confront them because I have dignity and self respect, they’ve done it way too many times to be an “accident “. And I find they’ve been together when I watch their private stories they literally don’t care that I see. Furthermore what’s strange is I think I care about other people seeing me being left out the most. Because I know other people from school are on their private stories , I am more embarrassed than left out. I don’t know it’s really tough and emotional for me to go through since I’ve stuck by them these past 2 years and it’s just known to everyone that we were a strong trio but turns out it’s a duo.. which is embarrasing on my part. As for summer, people are still gonna be in contact because we’re still school friends and uni hasn’t started so this isssue is probably gonna go on for way longer than just “the end of school “. Please help I don’t know. In school we hang out with eachother but outside of school I’m really not in the picture . I have no other friends just because I’ve upheld this independent, right friendship with these two girls only for me to not even be in it

Another Y13 here, not a girl tho. Firstly if you do confront them you won't lose your dignity or self respect. It will show you as someone who isn't willing to take s**t from them. They may decide then and there to cut you off permanently so be prepared for that if you do confront them. It sounds like all of you are really toxic resulting a toxic friendship group. Just focus on your exam(s) and try to enjoy your summer before uni. If you have any other friends at all talk to them about how you feel. Be honest. If you don't then unfortunately you might have to be alone this summer. Try volunteering or a new hobby to keep yourself occupied and maybe even make new friends. Don't waste your energy on toxic people and work on yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Another Y13 here, not a girl tho. Firstly if you do confront them you won't lose your dignity or self respect. It will show you as someone who isn't willing to take s**t from them. They may decide then and there to cut you off permanently so be prepared for that if you do confront them. It sounds like all of you are really toxic resulting a toxic friendship group. Just focus on your exam(s) and try to enjoy your summer before uni. If you have any other friends at all talk to them about how you feel. Be honest. If you don't then unfortunately you might have to be alone this summer. Try volunteering or a new hobby to keep yourself occupied and maybe even make new friends. Don't waste your energy on toxic people and work on yourself.

Thanks for your advice but even if they start inviting me, the vibes will be so off. Like I’m just gonna feel like I begged to be invited every time I go out with them and no matter what I say I’ll still be the outsider so I’d rather not .
Perhaps they don't know how you feel and think you are content with it that way. I'm not saying directly ask to join in but perhaps in a calm manner tell them simply how you feel. Even if nothing much changes you will at least know that you tried and won't look back with regrets.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

y13 girl here whose friend group fell apart this year (6 to 4 now) but we were in a similar boat where two of them were super close and doing everything together outside of school but rarely as a group, but got annoyed when the rest of us would make plans without them so big fall out argument. the best thing is telling them how you feel which can be really intimidating at first but if they considered you a friend at all they should hear you out. i totally get why you wouldn't wanna ask them to hang out more as it seems like they're obligated to which makes it awkward (been there done that) but its perfectly fine to tell them how you feel and perhaps end the friendship instead of letting it fizzle out weirdly. but for now i would prioritise your last exam and talk to them as soon as exams are done. it sucks not having other friends to enjoy summer with but you've got 3 months to do whatever you like, maybe get a job or try a new sport etc but your own company can be the best company sometimes. take the time to relax and have a good break before uni starts without them looming over your head

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending