The Student Room Group

muslim sister's doing aalimah course..

السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ
I hope you are well, i had a few questions regarding this matter as I'm due to start soon In'Sha'Allah but didn't really have much information on this.
1. How long is your course? because for ones I've seen can be from 3-8 years
2. How are you finding it?
3. Was it easy to balance your school/work life with the course?
4. Are you aiming to further your knowledge/progress further?
5. Any tips/advice?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tandoori potatoe
I hope you are well, i had a few questions regarding this matter as I'm due to start soon In'Sha'Allah but didn't really have much information on this.
5. Any tips/advice?

W.Salaam,
thinking of doing it too
1) 2 years is for daeya (hope thats spelt right) 5-8 yrs for alimah but depends on the mosque i guess
2) i heard the end years are really interesting once you get into it. its fascinatiing all the stuff u learn
3) i guess u make a schedule and balance everyhting, thats what im planning to do
4) just alimah for me
5) my friends r all doing it, they said dont quit at all. whenever u feel like u wanna quit, do not cuz itll be worth it in the end x
good luck with alimah in the future, insha'allah <3
Reply 2
5. Any tips/advice?
وَعَلَيْكُمُ ٱلسَّلَامُ وَرَحْمَةُ ٱللَّٰهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ
I pray you're well.
Apologies for the late response, but I just happened to see your post and felt I should respond.

In my madrasah, the aalimiyyah program runs for 7 years, however some students do it in 6 years (depending on certain factors like when they started etc.)

Alhamdulillah, I can say with certainty that doing the aalimiyyah course is life-changing. As my school started it in year 7, the beginning few years were more centred around fiqh and grammar, and introducing students to the Arabic language which was interesting in it's own right. It truly makes you a better person, because you learn the value of the religion, and how to intertwine 'ibaadah into your everyday life, especially with the guidance and example of your teachers. It gives you a sense of appreciation, knowing that every hadith, every ayah, every miniscule thing was studied and dissected by SO MANY PEOPLE just for it to reach your ears, and insha'Allah, you will also continue that duty of propogating and teaching the religion. However, after my fourth year, we began studying the more in depth kitaabs of hadith and Qur'an and every lesson was much more spiritual (?) in a sense. I (in my 6th year - Mishkaat) personally have felt a massive shift in my lifestyle recently, and I feel much more spiritually inclined now than I did years before. Although the simple act of growing up may have played a huge part in this, I think that doing aalimah has guided me, and allowed me to determine what is truly important in life. I simply don't believe I would be the person I am today had it not been for aalimah. One thing to remember is that once your course is finished, it is highly unlikely that you will ever be in a situation where salawat of the Nabi SAW is being repeated so frequently, where you sit down and dedicate multiple hours a day simply to learn the deen. I must admit that this year the workload has increased trememndously, and we have also been taught by maulanas for the first time so it is a lot to comprehend. Also the content itself gets quite tricky and moredetailed, including ikhtilaaf etc, so try to prepare yourself for the later years by giving great importance to the foundation years.

I didn't find it very difficult in the first 5 years as my aalimah course was taught alongside the national curriculum (i.e. in school hours, not separately in the evenings) so it fit in with my schedule, and I was surrounded by other people who were all in the exact same boat as me. However, as I'm currently in year 12, I have had to move to evening lessons (as my mornings are in a different school, doing NC, and it has become significantly more difficult, simply because my day has become much longer. Also, A-level years are said to be difficult anyways, so balancing both Mishkaat year of aalimah with year 12 content has been a struggle. Also, I'm now in a different situation where I am only surrounded by 2 people who do aalimah alongside A-levels so I find myself wondeirng whether life would be a lot easier had I been doing A-levels only. But this is simply from the waswas of Shaytaan, as through much dua' and prayers for guidance, and LOTS of muhaasaba (holding oneself accountable), I am slowly finding it easier to cope with. Remind yourself FREQUENTLY that this life was not made to be easy. Worship is not supposed to be easy. It is through these difficulties, and through the struggle that our dedication to Allah, and our desire to please Him is physically manifested. Also, the beauty of Aalimah is that despite being tired, despite all the content, there is a strange sense of ease in it all. A sense of calm, like all your worries are temporarily dispersed while you immerse yourself in worship and learning. It it is difficult but it is SO SO SO SO rewarding.

Insha'Allah I wish to revisit some previous kitaabs and review the translation and commentaries, and also study in depth certain chapters which perhaps we simply did 'ibaarah of (simply reading not translation/commentary) Also, my madrasah teaches Hanafi fiqh (with mention of ikhtilaaf of the other four madhaahib) however I am a Shafi'i so insha'Allah I plan on starting from a beginner level on Shafi'i fiqh.

I believe I have already given advice in my above answers, however I always seem to have more to say 😆

Renew your intentions - ALL THE TIME.

It is so easy to simply go to Aalimah, come back. It might become a routine but always renew your intention, refresh it, and do it for the sake of Allah.

This also applies generally to every aspect of your life, like even if you open the doors for your class to allow your classmates to enter, do it with the intention of 'assisting the students of knowledge on their path to learn, with the hopes of reward from Allah.'

Even if the intention sounds delusion and far-fetched, find a way to make it pleasing to Allah.

Give importance to befriending the right people.

If you surround yourself with people who appreciate the beauty of knowledge, and fulfill it's rights, there is no doubt that you too will insha'Allah become like them.

And if there perhaps is no one like that, then you take the initiative and become that person.

Regularly reminding oneself of the virtues of the student of knowledge

Helps in appreciating and respecting what you are learning.

For example there is a hadith which states: “Whoever treads on a path in search of Islamic knowledge, Allah will ease the way to Paradise for him. The angels will lower their wings, pleased with this seeker of knowledge, and everyone in the heavens and on earth will ask forgiveness for the knowledgeable person, even the fish in the deepest of waters will ask for his forgiveness”

Even the FISH IN THE SEA literally make dua for you. What more do you need??

Try to learn things outside of class also

For example if you begin a kitaab but do not finish it by the end of the year, then try and study it outside of class.

A website I find VERY beneficial is Seekers Guidance

I humbly ask that you share it with others so we may gain some extra reward

Although it is not the same as having an in-person techer, by which you can develop a bond with your teachers (which is really really important, make sure you treat your teachers properly), it is helpful in having reliable sheikhs teach the courses.

NOTE: I would say that in terms of finding reliable sources to study from, consult your teachers on kitaabs, in case you study from a kitaab which is not reliable.

Stay humble

It is very easy, espcially in the first few years, to believe even subconciously that one knows all there is to know about a certain topic

Humility is a key part of the characters of the pious, and for good reason

It is by humbling oneself that you can face getting answers wrong

It is by humbling onceself that you can understand that you know nothing and Allah, the All-Knowing, knows everything.

It is by humbling oneself that you can turn to your Lord in utter need and desperation, and helplessness and call unto Him

I promise you the further you get in the aalimiyyah course, the more humbled you get because you realise you are studying merely a droplet of an ocean of knowledge.

The pious predecessors of the past dedicated their whole lives in service of the deen, and learning it, so what we do now will never match up to them

Finally, dedicate time to know your Lord

The reason I say this is because our root intention should be to gain knowedge to please Allah.

But in order to please Allah we must first KNOW Allah, and also ACT on the knowledge we are gaining.

If you are deficient in one, you cannot be whole in the other (if you understand what I'm trying to say)

Spend time really connecting with the words of Allah, and making dua to Him.

Make your relationship with Allah personal, put it at the forefront of your life and your life will honestly change.- (saying from personal experience)

Unfortunately, I'm going to force myself to stop here, as I fear I may write too much.
May Allah make easy for you the path to Jannah, and make this knowledge beneficial to you.
May Allah allow the knowledge to take root in your hearts, and be a means of blessings and rewards for you.
May Allah make this knowledge a means of protection for you in these times of great trials and fitn, and allow your limbs to testify for you and not against you on the Day of Judgement.
May Allah allow the aalimiyyah course to change your life for the better just as it has changed mine.
May Allah allow you to act on the knowledge your learn, and teach the deen to others through your actions.
May Allah bless you and I and allow us to meet on the Day of Judgement, under the shade of His throne, on the day when there is no shade but His shade.
May Allah forgive you and forgive me.
جَزَاكَ ٱللَّٰهُ خَيْرًا for reading this far
Please note that any advice given in this was first and foremost for myself, and I pray Allah allows us all to act on it. Anything good in this is from Allah, and anything incorrect is from myself.
Original post by Aa6207
وَعَلَيْكُمُ ٱلسَّلَامُ وَرَحْمَةُ ٱللَّٰهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ
I pray you're well.
Apologies for the late response, but I just happened to see your post and felt I should respond.

In my madrasah, the aalimiyyah program runs for 7 years, however some students do it in 6 years (depending on certain factors like when they started etc.)

Alhamdulillah, I can say with certainty that doing the aalimiyyah course is life-changing. As my school started it in year 7, the beginning few years were more centred around fiqh and grammar, and introducing students to the Arabic language which was interesting in it's own right. It truly makes you a better person, because you learn the value of the religion, and how to intertwine 'ibaadah into your everyday life, especially with the guidance and example of your teachers. It gives you a sense of appreciation, knowing that every hadith, every ayah, every miniscule thing was studied and dissected by SO MANY PEOPLE just for it to reach your ears, and insha'Allah, you will also continue that duty of propogating and teaching the religion. However, after my fourth year, we began studying the more in depth kitaabs of hadith and Qur'an and every lesson was much more spiritual (?) in a sense. I (in my 6th year - Mishkaat) personally have felt a massive shift in my lifestyle recently, and I feel much more spiritually inclined now than I did years before. Although the simple act of growing up may have played a huge part in this, I think that doing aalimah has guided me, and allowed me to determine what is truly important in life. I simply don't believe I would be the person I am today had it not been for aalimah. One thing to remember is that once your course is finished, it is highly unlikely that you will ever be in a situation where salawat of the Nabi SAW is being repeated so frequently, where you sit down and dedicate multiple hours a day simply to learn the deen. I must admit that this year the workload has increased trememndously, and we have also been taught by maulanas for the first time so it is a lot to comprehend. Also the content itself gets quite tricky and moredetailed, including ikhtilaaf etc, so try to prepare yourself for the later years by giving great importance to the foundation years.

I didn't find it very difficult in the first 5 years as my aalimah course was taught alongside the national curriculum (i.e. in school hours, not separately in the evenings) so it fit in with my schedule, and I was surrounded by other people who were all in the exact same boat as me. However, as I'm currently in year 12, I have had to move to evening lessons (as my mornings are in a different school, doing NC, and it has become significantly more difficult, simply because my day has become much longer. Also, A-level years are said to be difficult anyways, so balancing both Mishkaat year of aalimah with year 12 content has been a struggle. Also, I'm now in a different situation where I am only surrounded by 2 people who do aalimah alongside A-levels so I find myself wondeirng whether life would be a lot easier had I been doing A-levels only. But this is simply from the waswas of Shaytaan, as through much dua' and prayers for guidance, and LOTS of muhaasaba (holding oneself accountable), I am slowly finding it easier to cope with. Remind yourself FREQUENTLY that this life was not made to be easy. Worship is not supposed to be easy. It is through these difficulties, and through the struggle that our dedication to Allah, and our desire to please Him is physically manifested. Also, the beauty of Aalimah is that despite being tired, despite all the content, there is a strange sense of ease in it all. A sense of calm, like all your worries are temporarily dispersed while you immerse yourself in worship and learning. It it is difficult but it is SO SO SO SO rewarding.

Insha'Allah I wish to revisit some previous kitaabs and review the translation and commentaries, and also study in depth certain chapters which perhaps we simply did 'ibaarah of (simply reading not translation/commentary) Also, my madrasah teaches Hanafi fiqh (with mention of ikhtilaaf of the other four madhaahib) however I am a Shafi'i so insha'Allah I plan on starting from a beginner level on Shafi'i fiqh.

I believe I have already given advice in my above answers, however I always seem to have more to say 😆

Renew your intentions - ALL THE TIME.

It is so easy to simply go to Aalimah, come back. It might become a routine but always renew your intention, refresh it, and do it for the sake of Allah.

This also applies generally to every aspect of your life, like even if you open the doors for your class to allow your classmates to enter, do it with the intention of 'assisting the students of knowledge on their path to learn, with the hopes of reward from Allah.'

Even if the intention sounds delusion and far-fetched, find a way to make it pleasing to Allah.

Give importance to befriending the right people.

If you surround yourself with people who appreciate the beauty of knowledge, and fulfill it's rights, there is no doubt that you too will insha'Allah become like them.

And if there perhaps is no one like that, then you take the initiative and become that person.

Regularly reminding oneself of the virtues of the student of knowledge

Helps in appreciating and respecting what you are learning.

For example there is a hadith which states: “Whoever treads on a path in search of Islamic knowledge, Allah will ease the way to Paradise for him. The angels will lower their wings, pleased with this seeker of knowledge, and everyone in the heavens and on earth will ask forgiveness for the knowledgeable person, even the fish in the deepest of waters will ask for his forgiveness”

Even the FISH IN THE SEA literally make dua for you. What more do you need??

Try to learn things outside of class also

For example if you begin a kitaab but do not finish it by the end of the year, then try and study it outside of class.

A website I find VERY beneficial is Seekers Guidance

I humbly ask that you share it with others so we may gain some extra reward

Although it is not the same as having an in-person techer, by which you can develop a bond with your teachers (which is really really important, make sure you treat your teachers properly), it is helpful in having reliable sheikhs teach the courses.

NOTE: I would say that in terms of finding reliable sources to study from, consult your teachers on kitaabs, in case you study from a kitaab which is not reliable.

Stay humble

It is very easy, espcially in the first few years, to believe even subconciously that one knows all there is to know about a certain topic

Humility is a key part of the characters of the pious, and for good reason

It is by humbling oneself that you can face getting answers wrong

It is by humbling onceself that you can understand that you know nothing and Allah, the All-Knowing, knows everything.

It is by humbling oneself that you can turn to your Lord in utter need and desperation, and helplessness and call unto Him

I promise you the further you get in the aalimiyyah course, the more humbled you get because you realise you are studying merely a droplet of an ocean of knowledge.

The pious predecessors of the past dedicated their whole lives in service of the deen, and learning it, so what we do now will never match up to them

Finally, dedicate time to know your Lord

The reason I say this is because our root intention should be to gain knowedge to please Allah.

But in order to please Allah we must first KNOW Allah, and also ACT on the knowledge we are gaining.

If you are deficient in one, you cannot be whole in the other (if you understand what I'm trying to say)

Spend time really connecting with the words of Allah, and making dua to Him.

Make your relationship with Allah personal, put it at the forefront of your life and your life will honestly change.- (saying from personal experience)

Unfortunately, I'm going to force myself to stop here, as I fear I may write too much.
May Allah make easy for you the path to Jannah, and make this knowledge beneficial to you.
May Allah allow the knowledge to take root in your hearts, and be a means of blessings and rewards for you.
May Allah make this knowledge a means of protection for you in these times of great trials and fitn, and allow your limbs to testify for you and not against you on the Day of Judgement.
May Allah allow the aalimiyyah course to change your life for the better just as it has changed mine.
May Allah allow you to act on the knowledge your learn, and teach the deen to others through your actions.
May Allah bless you and I and allow us to meet on the Day of Judgement, under the shade of His throne, on the day when there is no shade but His shade.
May Allah forgive you and forgive me.
جَزَاكَ ٱللَّٰهُ خَيْرًا for reading this far
Please note that any advice given in this was first and foremost for myself, and I pray Allah allows us all to act on it. Anything good in this is from Allah, and anything incorrect is from myself.
Alhamdulliah, ya ukhti, ya ukhti

Jzakillah khair for everything, allahumabarik.
Ya ukhti, you are amazing 👏

Alhamdulliah I started Aalimiyyah last year and in a few months It will be 1 year In'Sha'Allah

Litterally, it has changed me as a person and honesty I feel so much closer to Islam and الله سبحانه وتعالى.

I apologise, I am taking this in and processing it all, you have helped me immensely sister - jzakillahu khayrun. I am honestly lost for words

Ameen, ya rabul alaameen - thank you so so much
Alhamdulliah, ya ukhti, ya ukhti

Jzakillah khair for everything, allahumabarik.
Ya ukhti, you are amazing 👏

Alhamdulliah I started Aalimiyyah last year and in a few months It will be 1 year In'Sha'Allah

Litterally, it has changed me as a person and honesty I feel so much closer to Islam and الله سبحانه وتعالى.

I apologise, I am taking this in and processing it all, you have helped me immensely sister - jzakillahu khayrun. I am honestly lost for words

Ameen, ya rabul alaameen - thank you so so much
may Allah make it easy for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending