The Student Room Group

moving to uni by train

in a few weeks i’ll be moving to university on my own as i don’t have anybody that can help me do so. my plan is to take the train which is about 3 hours then get an uber to my accommodation. i’m thinking about bringing one large suitcase, a small suitcase and a backpack. i don’t think i’d be able to carry much more.

any advice on how to make this move easier on me would be much appreciated as i’m rather nervous and scared about doing it on my own.
Is it feasible for you to pay a little for a luggage courier service? That would allow you to bring more things, if you feel like you're short on space.
That should be doable - once you're on the train, you don't need to worry about your bags anyway! You'll probably find you accumulate stuff over the year, so going back home in the summer might be more of an issue!

Good luck with uni 😁
Original post by Anonymous
in a few weeks i’ll be moving to university on my own as i don’t have anybody that can help me do so. my plan is to take the train which is about 3 hours then get an uber to my accommodation. i’m thinking about bringing one large suitcase, a small suitcase and a backpack. i don’t think i’d be able to carry much more.

any advice on how to make this move easier on me would be much appreciated as i’m rather nervous and scared about doing it on my own.

Moving in by train is definitely doable, I did it as well.

I took one large suitcase, a large over the shoulder bag and a rucksack on the day. But I actually purchased most of my stuff either in the Uni town or ordered it online so there was only mainly clothes to carry.

Sounds like a solid plan, I have seen lots of students do this, particularly internationals that also have to catch a flight. Think about how to cut down on bulky things like duvets, pillows, cooking gear that you can buy cheaply once you are at university or do a trip back home for "extra stuff" once freshers is done and weekends are less frantic.
Done it myself and will continue doing so.
Anon,

If you can get help to the train station, this will also help you reserve energy.
If you can find someone to come with you (you can pay for their train fare) then that would help a lot, but if not it sounds like you have a good plan!

You can reduce the items you need to carry by doing an online shop for additional items that you can't take with you. You can arrange for this to come when you have found your bearings and know where the items will be dropped off!

Remember that once you have dropped off your luggage at your accommodation, you can also go and can pick up some extra items/food that you need. Try and resist the temptation to carry food with you, unless it's your favourite home cooked food. You might want some food for the train journey but other than that, food items will weigh you down (tins are not light!)

The ability to travel light is a skill, so though it might feel frustrating to not be able to bring everything with you, there's no point bringing everything and then having to bring lots of stuff back with you because you don't need it/ are not using it or because your room at home looks too empty.

Try and focus on the essentials. Worst comes to worst, you can always plan to return home in 2-3 weeks and can then bring up anything that you really do need or miss.

Safe journey,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there, congratulations on securing your place to University.

I have seen students commuting to University via train and it is feasible :smile:

If it is your first time commuting via this route, I would recommend familiarising yourself with the commuting route online (and planning back up routes/ knowing if there are any delays) can help you calm your nerves.

Traveling alone is not that bad, and if you do need help along the way, you can always ask for help at train stations. Just take your time, make sure you have everything when you commuting and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending