The Student Room Group

Maths EPQ help

Hello, i’m trying to decide a title for EPQ, but i’m not sure if it’s good or not. I was thinking of doing “Was Pythagoras or Euclid more influential on our understanding of maths today?” but i’m not sure if it’s any good. Any thoughts or tips would be very helpful! Thank you!
Original post by sarah_1h
Hello, i’m trying to decide a title for EPQ, but i’m not sure if it’s good or not. I was thinking of doing “Was Pythagoras or Euclid more influential on our understanding of maths today?” but i’m not sure if it’s any good. Any thoughts or tips would be very helpful! Thank you!

that sounds good, just be careful your question isnt too closed-ended as you need to be evaluative and reach a balanced conclusion so maybe reword it into something a bit more complex - 'to what extent has Pythagoras had a significant influence on modern understanding of mathematics in comparison to the work of Euclid?'
Reply 2

Id guess the main problem for me would be that somewhat surprisingly we actually dont know a lot about Pythagoras whereas Euclid's Elements, which had the famous pythagoras theorem (which he probably didnt create) in was used in schools for centuries. Also a fair bit of Euclids Elements was a compilation of earlier Elements books and theories by others. So if you did that, you'd need to be clear about how you were deciding who did what etc. If you wanted to go prehistory maths, some form of comparison of Egyptian / Babylonian / Greek maths is interesting, or you could look at calculus developments pre Newton/Liebniz or the development of algebra or the development of proof in greek maths, which was arguably the main contribution as they tried to put things on a logical foundation, something that there is little evidence for in babylonian/egyptian maths.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by arch17
that sounds good, just be careful your question isnt too closed-ended as you need to be evaluative and reach a balanced conclusion so maybe reword it into something a bit more complex - 'to what extent has Pythagoras had a significant influence on modern understanding of mathematics in comparison to the work of Euclid?'

Do you think “to what extent has Pythagoras had a significant influence on our modern understanding of mathematics?” would be too specific? I was thinking of basing my whole epq on pythagoras but i don’t know if i would run out of sources and things to say or not
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Id guess the main problem for me would be that somewhat surprisingly we actually dont know a lot about Pythagoras whereas Euclid's Elements, which had the famous pythagoras theorem (which he probably didnt create) in was used in schools for centuries. Also a fair bit of Euclids Elements was a compilation of earlier Elements books and theories by others. So if you did that, you'd need to be clear about how you were deciding who did what etc. If you wanted to go prehistory maths, some form of comparison of Egyptian / Babylonian / Greek maths is interesting, or you could look at calculus developments pre Newton/Liebniz or the development of algebra or ...

Thank you! I was thinking of establishing assumptions on who did what at the beginning of it but im not sure if that would work or not, or if i’d just kind of gloss over the confusion of who did what
Reply 5
Thank you! I was thinking of establishing assumptions on who did what at the beginning of it but im not sure if that would work or not, or if i’d just kind of gloss over the confusion of who did what

There is little contemporary evidence of what pythagoras did. Some evidence of what his followers did, and some stories attributed to pythagoras (like music/harmonics) but a comparison about who (Euclid/Pythagoras) is more influential might be light on what they actually did. There is more evidence about Archimedes who did the volume of a sphere, area under a parabola amongst many other things.
(edited 10 months ago)
Do you think “to what extent has Pythagoras had a significant influence on our modern understanding of mathematics?” would be too specific? I was thinking of basing my whole epq on pythagoras but i don’t know if i would run out of sources and things to say or notas a general rule of thumb 'to what extent has ..." questions are great titles as its not a yes or no

as a general rule of thumb 'to what extent has' questions are the best for titles as its not a yes/no this/that answer. it doesnt matter if its specific but as long as you have enough to say it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending