The Student Room Group

Economics EPQ

i'm currently in year 12 studying maths, further maths and economics, and i want to do a economic related epq, but im having trouble picking a topic outside the a level curriculum. any suggestions?
Reply 1
Have a look at relavant topics currently in the news - this means there will be lots of online coverage to help you with that topic:
BBC World Service - Business Matters - Available now
Original post by somkenee
i'm currently in year 12 studying maths, further maths and economics, and i want to do a economic related epq, but im having trouble picking a topic outside the a level curriculum. any suggestions?

I’m in this exact same situation and feeling the exact same way! I was considering something on economic inequality or something along those lines. However, if you have thought of any suggestions yourself please feel free to share… hahah
Reply 3
Original post by dottieottie

I’m in this exact same situation and feeling the exact same way! I was considering something on economic inequality or something along those lines. However, if you have thought of any suggestions yourself please feel free to share… hahah

it’s nice to know someone else is in this position😭 my epq is about the ethical nature of billionaires and whether they are good for the economy or not
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have a look at relavant topics currently in the news - this means there will be lots of online coverage to help you with that topic:
BBC World Service - Business Matters - Available now

thank you!
Reply 5

My nephew did a similar EPQ with a tech company in the UK, which led to publishing an article that helped him get into top universities.

Hi. I’m in year 11 and I’m looking to pick those exact subjects. Do you think they are good to get into top unis for courses like economics
Reply 7
Original post by Butter chicken

Hi. I’m in year 11 and I’m looking to pick those exact subjects. Do you think they are good to get into top unis for courses like economics

Hi! I definitely recommend this combination of subjects for economics, especially further maths. I also recommend picking an extra subject you enjoy (although not necessary) such as history or geography, as this demonstrates to unis that you’re able to take on a large workload. Hope this helps!

could look at the European debt crisis 2009 - late 2010s?
good documentary on BBC, "Europe: ten years of turmoil" episode 2
Hi! I definitely recommend this combination of subjects for economics, especially further maths. I also recommend picking an extra subject you enjoy (although not necessary) such as history or geography, as this demonstrates to unis that you’re able to take on a large workload. Hope this helps!

That’s brilliant. Would another a level subject be entirely necessary? The only reason I ask is my preferred college only allows 3 including further maths, but I would still be able to take an EPQ
Reply 10
Original post by Butter chicken

That’s brilliant. Would another a level subject be entirely necessary? The only reason I ask is my preferred college only allows 3 including further maths, but I would still be able to take an EPQ

No it’s not necessary! I’m taking an EPQ instead. It helps if you also do a lot of extra/super curriculars to help support your application

Quick Reply

Latest