The Student Room Group

4 a levels and an epq?

Hi, I am planning on taking maths further maths economics and physics a level and was wondering if there would be a benefit to doing an epq as well? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by anonymous.2008
Hi, I am planning on taking maths further maths economics and physics a level and was wondering if there would be a benefit to doing an epq as well? Thank you!

Hey there! I wanted to share my thoughts on the EPQ with you. Personally, I think it's a great idea - it gives you an extra topic to research and learn about. Just keep in mind that you'll need to balance it with your four A-levels. Hope that helps!

Hey, came from a college where the EPQ was mandatory and people found it useful in that they could mention it in their personal statement or during interviews. For some of us it helped to lower the conditional offer requirements (A* to an A, only applies to certain unis tho). Keep in mind that some Unis don't even look at your EPQ grade/the fact that you do EPQ. I think having done the EPQ, it has certainly allowed me to better my research, organization, time-management, and writing skills.
Reply 3
From what I can see, I'm assuming you are planning to go to a prestigious university. And they absolutely do not care about a fourth A level or an EPQ- but of course that shouldn't stop you if you really feel that you would enjoy doing that. It might add some weight if the EPQ is relevant to whatever subject you are pursuing.
Original post by Dazza07h
From what I can see, I'm assuming you are planning to go to a prestigious university. And they absolutely do not care about a fourth A level or an EPQ- but of course that shouldn't stop you if you really feel that you would enjoy doing that. It might add some weight if the EPQ is relevant to whatever subject you are pursuing.

Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. If it isn't even looked at by universities, apart from talking about it in interviews/personal statement, what is the real benefit? Surely I will have other things to talk about? Thanks

I personally wouldn't recommend it, most universities already don't consider your 4th A level (although the top universities do) and an EPQ is just extra work and you will only get a reduced offer if you get an A* in your EPQ. It's better to do wider reading and take extra online courses for your personal statement.
What grades are you predicted?
Hi @anonymous.2008,

As the previous replies have mentioned above, a fourth A-Level subject tend to get overlooked as most universities already have a set requirement of grades from just three A-Levels. I have a friend who also did four A-Levels as well as an EPQ and they wish they either just did three + EPQ or no EPQ at all. They were always mentally drained, had to sacrifice a lot of their social life and was busy all the time.

If they had opted out of the EPQ or the fourth A-Level they would have dedicated that time to taking part in extra curricular that would help build their resume. Having that extra time could give you the opportunity to take part in something that is related to your university course, and gives you something to write about in your personal statement. Showing interest and passion in your subject outside of your classroom is a valuable trait to have in your university applications.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 8
4 a levels are bearable so long as 2 are maths and fm - an epq as well is too much.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest