The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get into dental school

Hi I’m a 2024 dentistry applicant who needs reassurance that I will have a chance of getting in
I’m currently in year 13 and have decided to take a gap year hence why I didn’t apply this year because I wanted to maximise my chances

My current stats
GCSE
combined science-9/8
English lit-6
English Lang-7
Maths-7
Re(short course)-8
History-5
Business-7
Sociology-6
Health and social-level 2 merit

I know my gcse are not the best but t have tried hard to make up for that in my UCAT and A-Level result

My current alevel predictions ( based off my predicted grade as I still am sitting my a-levels)
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Politics-A*
EPQ-A*
I have tried really hard for my a levels to make up my terrible GCSE grades

My UCAT score ( I have not done the UCAT yet but I have been practicing for a while now and I have been getting a similar score each time in my mock attempts )

Current practice UCAT score- 2850

I have also done quite a bit of work experience as well as my dofe in bronze and silver but still stressing I may not be able to get in because of my awful gcse. I have check requirements and just needs reassurance and advice as i am driving my self crazy .

Any help or advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Iwishicould
Hi I’m a 2024 dentistry applicant who needs reassurance that I will have a chance of getting in
I’m currently in year 13 and have decided to take a gap year hence why I didn’t apply this year because I wanted to maximise my chances

My current stats
GCSE
combined science-9/8
English lit-6
English Lang-7
Maths-7
Re(short course)-8
History-5
Business-7
Sociology-6

I know my gcse are not the best but t have tried hard to make up for that in my UCAT and A-Level result

My current alevel predictions ( based off my predicted grade as I still am sitting my a-levels)
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Politics-A*
EPQ-A*

My UCAT score ( I have not done the UCAT yet but I have been practicing for a while now and I have been getting a similar score each time in my mock attempts )

I have also done quite a bit of work experience as well as my dofe in bronze and silver but still stressing I may not be able to get in because of my awful gcse. I have check requirements and just needs reassurance and advice as i am driving my self crazy .

OK first off, hats off to you for getting great A level predictions and working hard to achieve them, now (and I'm in the same boat as you) we just gotta smash those A-levels and make sure we get the A*s that we so desperately want :biggrin:

If you've done everything right and know which schools to apply to based on your GCSEs, then I think you may be worrying yourself too much. You seem hardworking enough (most gap year people I know haven't even started UCAT prep) and you've done WE and many things that are required to get into dental school. I think as long as you do well in your A levels and UCAT, you'll make a very competitive dental candidate.

Good luck with the A levels you have left! (God knows we need it)
Reply 2

My current stats
GCSE
combined science-9/8
English lit-6
English Lang-7
Maths-7
Re(short course)-8
History-5
Business-7
Sociology-6

Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Politics-A*
EPQ-A*

Yes everything looks amazing just apply strategically so dont apply to unis that place an emphasis on gcses. Ucat score of 2850 is amazing and u have a whole summer to improve on that .

My current stats
GCSE
combined science-9/8
English lit-6
English Lang-7
Maths-7
Re(short course)-8
History-5
Business-7
Sociology-6

Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Politics-A*
EPQ-A*

Be selective about where you choose to go. Don't apply to cardiff, for example, because they explicitly state they want student with the highest GCSE scores in maths and english language as possible. but maybe bristol because they do a 100% weightlifting on the UCAT exam, and then you simply have to do well in the interview and meet AAA. I think a 7 is good enough in maths, but you may have to double check, as most STEM degrees like maths and science subjects to have high scores, and you did combined at GCSE? Good luck with all your future career goals, by the sounds of your A levels you are hard working and will succeed, its admirable motivation! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest