The Student Room Group

Big 4 grad scheme with 2:2?

Hi,
2nd year studying Physics at a top 10 uni.
Messed up S1 exams big time (35% average) but pulled my 2nd-year average up to 59% in S2.
How bad would this affect my chances of securing a grad scheme at one of the big 4?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I think you'd struggle to get a graduate job at a big 4 company with a 2.2. Obviously there's more to a job application than just your degree classification, but what what I've seen it tends to only be 1st / high 2.1 candidates that are successful.
you do not have a 2:2 just yet, so you can still apply.
Reply 3
They change the requirements pretty regularly. Why not just check the websites and see what they are asking for this year?
Reply 4
In my experience, all they ask for is the result you’re expected to achieve. Considering you’re sitting on 59, assuming you put in the work in third year, a 2:1 should be very achievable (especially if your third year is more heavily-weighted) so I’d put a 2:1 down as your expected result. Firms on the whole are moving away from stringent academic requirements. Getting a 2:1 is really just a “tick in the box“. Obviously if you got an offer and ended up failing to get a 2:1, I’d imagine they’d just rescind your offer at that point, but I doubt that’ll happen!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by KaptainCliff
I think you'd struggle to get a graduate job at a big 4 company with a 2.2. Obviously there's more to a job application than just your degree classification, but what what I've seen it tends to only be 1st / high 2.1 candidates that are successful.

I'm confident I can graduate with at least a 2:1 but would have to apply for the grad schemes using my current grades as I'm 2nd year going into 3rd. Will this hinder my chances significantly?
Original post by CJsuckme
I'm confident I can graduate with at least a 2:1 but would have to apply for the grad schemes using my current grades as I'm 2nd year going into 3rd. Will this hinder my chances significantly?

I can only tell you what I've observed based on the people I've seen successfully get a 'big 4' graduate job. The people I've seen pull it off either did a 'big 4' internship between second and third year, leading to a conditional job offer, or; were high 2.1 / first candidates and had some work experience (nothing fancy, just table waiting or volunteering), leading to a job offer without having done the internship. These graduate jobs are very competitive and you need to be a prime candidate - shortlisting is brutal and if they find a small reason to make the shortlist smaller, you'll be cut unfortunately.

The "easier" way to get in is to get onto one of their internships. Internships are glorified, protracted job interviews. Plus it's really nice going through your final year knowing you don't need to stress about finding a job after you graduate!
Reply 7
Definitely try to get an internship. Even if the firm you intern at doesn’t offer you a grad job, you’ll be much more employable having done one. If you can’t get one between 2nd and 3rd year, you might find it easier to get one after graduating. This would obviously delay things slightly but you may find they’re willing to just keep you on or let you start as a grad in January or something.

In the current climate jobs will be ever-more scarce and experience is invaluable. As I said above, on the academic front, all that really matters is that you’re on track to get a 2:1 at the end of your degree (not necessarily what you got in second year) as this allows them to “tick the box”. They’ll be more interested in what you’ve gotten out of your studies and the extra things you’ve done rather than the grades, and will much sooner employ someone with a low-mid 2:1, relevant experience, a good personality and the right skills than someone with a high 2:1/1st and none of those other things.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ROC10
Definitely try to get an internship. Even if the firm you intern at doesn’t offer you a grad job, you’ll be much more employable having done one. If you can’t get one between 2nd and 3rd year, you might find it easier to get one after graduating. This would obviously delay things slightly but you may find they’re willing to just keep you on or let you start as a grad in January or something.

In the current climate jobs will be ever-more scarce and experience is invaluable. As I said above, on the academic front, all that really matters is that you’re on track to get a 2:1 at the end of your degree (not necessarily what you got in second year) as this allows them to “tick the box”. They’ll be more interested in what you’ve gotten out of your studies and the extra things you’ve done rather than the grades, and will much sooner employ someone with a low-mid 2:1, relevant experience, a good personality and the right skills than someone with a high 2:1/1st and none of those other things.

Thanks for all the help!
Do you know if it's possible to apply for grad schemes and internships at the same time? As I'm going into my final year I can apply for the grad schemes but don't want to end up with no grad scheme and no internship.
I think some companies only allow you to put one application in per recruitment round. You'd be better just throwing yourself at every grad scheme / internship you like the look of and see for yourself whether you can put an application into both.
I don't personally think it would do any harm to apply, you never know. If anything, it'd be at least great prep for the other grueling application processes that are out there! I've had some very tough assessments and tasks to complete recently. Good luck!
Hi there! I got a 2:2 from a top 10 uni, didn't do an internship but got an offer from EY and will be starting in Sept :smile: I think EY is the only one from the Big 4 who don't have a minimum academic requirements at the moment, though the requirements do change from time to time so the others may follow.
Getting a 2:2 limited the graduate schemes I could apply for but there's still some decent places who accept a 2:2 (eg. Civil Service, NHS, BDO, Grant Thornton, etc). You haven't got a 2:2 (overall) yet so you can still apply for schemes requiring a 2:1 if you're confident you can get a 2:1.
As you're going into your final year, I don't think you'll be eligible for some internships as some of them require you to be in your pen-ultimate year so just check their requirements. Good luck!
Did you have no work experience at all?
Original post by melody37
Hi there! I got a 2:2 from a top 10 uni, didn't do an internship but got an offer from EY and will be starting in Sept :smile: I think EY is the only one from the Big 4 who don't have a minimum academic requirements at the moment, though the requirements do change from time to time so the others may follow.
Getting a 2:2 limited the graduate schemes I could apply for but there's still some decent places who accept a 2:2 (eg. Civil Service, NHS, BDO, Grant Thornton, etc). You haven't got a 2:2 (overall) yet so you can still apply for schemes requiring a 2:1 if you're confident you can get a 2:1.
As you're going into your final year, I don't think you'll be eligible for some internships as some of them require you to be in your pen-ultimate year so just check their requirements. Good luck!

Original post by ahmeddousa

I have work experience in customer service, as well as volunteering experience but no relevant (finance) work experience. When I was applying for Big 4 though, they didn't really ask for details on experience and it seemed like they placed more importance on your performance in the assessments/application process than experience, in general.
Reply 15
Hi,
Messed up S1 exams big time (35% average) but pulled my 2nd-year average up to 59% in S2.
How bad would this affect my chances of securing a grad scheme at one of the big 4?
Thanks

Is S1 - semester 1? tbh you must have not been working hard / putting in the time, im sure somethings going on in your life rn understandable dw.

to answer your question, little harder, I got a 2:2 in undergrade, then did a master got a 2:1 then managed to get on the KPMG grad scheme first year £28700, just get a 2:1 youll be fine. but yh more top places dont take 2:2 cuz its too competitive. not enough info to comment further but hmu if u want more advice
Hi,
Thanks

I have a 2:2 in physics. I got on a B4 grad scheme straight out of uni and have since left, qualifying with all first time passes. Go figure.

I believe EY doesn't have an academic requirements anymore, Deloitte will give lower offers if good A levels. PwC and KPMG are more strict though there is still some discretion.
Sorry to hijack this, I'm in a similar position to the thread starter however Ive graduated from my undergrad with a 2:2 (58%), I didn't perform the best in final year after my father passed away in an accident during the year. However,I have just completed a masters in management strategy graduating with a 2:1(68%). Would I have a chance with any of the big 4 graduate schemes or am I wasting my time even applying?
Original post by MariaMar33
Sorry to hijack this, I'm in a similar position to the thread starter however Ive graduated from my undergrad with a 2:2 (58%), I didn't perform the best in final year after my father passed away in an accident during the year. However,I have just completed a masters in management strategy graduating with a 2:1(68%). Would I have a chance with any of the big 4 graduate schemes or am I wasting my time even applying?

Have a look at their websites for requirements. I don't think all require a 2:1 - for others you should be able to demonstrate extenuating circumstances.
Original post by ROC10
In my experience, all they ask for is the result you’re expected to achieve. Considering you’re sitting on 59, assuming you put in the work in third year, a 2:1 should be very achievable (especially if your third year is more heavily-weighted) so I’d put a 2:1 down as your expected result. Firms on the whole are moving away from stringent academic requirements. Getting a 2:1 is really just a “tick in the box“. Obviously if you got an offer and ended up failing to get a 2:1, I’d imagine they’d just rescind your offer at that point, but I doubt that’ll happen!

Hey so after you received your results did not they not ask for those achieved results before you started your internship/ grad scheme or did they just take your results from the last completed year only when you were offered the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending