The Student Room Group

2:2 in second year...Can I get a 2:1?

Sorry if this is on the wrong board... But I'm wondering if I have to be realistic.

I'm in my second year, worth 40%, and I got a LOW 2:2 overall [51%]. It's not what I wanted, although I know that this year with everything going on was not what anyone could predict. Next year is my final year, worth 60%, and I'd like to know...can I get the 2:1? If so, what do I need? If not...what are my other options? I know it's almost pointless to graduate with a 2:2 in my degree...and I don't want to kid myself. I find I'm a pretty negative person, but I'm working to change that, and I feel like a goal [if I can set one] would help massively.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

How is your degree calculated? Number of modules at grade x? Or straight %?
It seems possible though you’d have to get mostly firsts or high 2.1 to do it? Exact numbers would depend on this years score but let’s say

Year 2 52%? Worth 40% so 20.8 marks
Overall you want 62% ?
So you’d need 62-20.8 from year 3 so 41.2 marks. /60% is 68.6%
I think you would need an overall average of 66% next year to get a 2:1.

Have you tried websites like grade hub? You can put in your grades and it tells you what you need to get in the remaining assignments and exams to get a 50/60/70%
Reply 3
Original post by hazisgolden
I think you would need an overall average of 66% next year to get a 2:1.

Have you tried websites like grade hub? You can put in your grades and it tells you what you need to get in the remaining assignments and exams to get a 50/60/70%

Thank you, I have..and it says around 66%, as you said. I would like to know if this is doable. I know it's only up to me etc etc, but if I worked really hard, is it something that a person generally could achieve?
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry if this is on the wrong board... But I'm wondering if I have to be realistic.

I'm in my second year, worth 40%, and I got a LOW 2:2 overall [51%]. It's not what I wanted, although I know that this year with everything going on was not what anyone could predict. Next year is my final year, worth 60%, and I'd like to know...can I get the 2:1? If so, what do I need? If not...what are my other options? I know it's almost pointless to graduate with a 2:2 in my degree...and I don't want to kid myself. I find I'm a pretty negative person, but I'm working to change that, and I feel like a goal [if I can set one] would help massively.

Thanks in advance.

Technically yes - you need about 68% in your final year. Or a high 2i. The problem here assessing how realistic it is to go from 51 to 68. A 51 shares much more in common with a third class result than it does with a 2ii, and a 68 usually has elements of a first-class result in it - so it's a bit more of a task than what it initially seems just from saying 'go from a 2ii to a 2i.

What were the causes of such a poor result in your second year? Are there things that you can definitely point to and correct easily going into your final year, like ECs, MH problems or social issues? Or was the result due to other factors? I think you need to really honestly and brutally assess these to be able to answer your question, can you realistically go from a 2ii to a 2i?
it probably depends on why you got low 2.2 scores? not enough work? not knowing the answers? wrong exam technique?
Thank you, I have..and it says around 66%, as you said. I would like to know if this is doable. I know it's only up to me etc etc, but if I worked really hard, is it something that a person generally could achieve?

Although clearly possible I think it's rare for people to make such a marked improvement unless there is a significant reason - like mitigating circumstances that held them back one year.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to aim to do the best that you can, in any case :smile:
It is definitely possible, I got a 2:2 for year 2 and then a 2:1 overall when I graduated.

What was your overall percentage for year 2?

Also if you feel COVID has affected you mentally or anything else you may be able to appeal your grades.

If you get back to me on your percentage I can calculate what you need and give you further advice on how you can achieve a 2:1 overall
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Technically yes - you need about 68% in your final year. Or a high 2i. The problem here assessing how realistic it is to go from 51 to 68. A 51 shares much more in common with a third class result than it does with a 2ii, and a 68 usually has elements of a first-class result in it - so it's a bit more of a task than what it initially seems just from saying 'go from a 2ii to a 2i.

What were the causes of such a poor result in your second year? Are there things that you can definitely point to and correct easily going into your final year, like ECs, MH problems or social issues? Or was the result due to other factors? I think you need to really honestly and brutally assess these to be able to answer your question, can you realistically go from a 2ii to a 2i?

Mostly, it was the examinations in the first term. My home life was turbulent, and this was combined with a death in the family which hit everybody very hard. I did not do as well as I should have, and I know that. Overall in my final exams, I did manage to achieve some 2:1 marks, so I know it is possible with a little bit more work. While I want to, I am still unsure if I am capable in myself.
Original post by YellowLotus
It is definitely possible, I got a 2:2 for year 2 and then a 2:1 overall when I graduated.

Also if you feel COVID has affected you mentally or anything else you may be able to appeal your grades.

If you get back to me on your percentage I can calculate what you need and give you further advice on how you can achieve a 2:1 overall

Did you not read the OP?
Original post by YellowLotus

Thank you. I got 51% overall, but this is due to the fact I failed a semester one exam which pulled my average down a lot. My other marks were mid to high 2:2s.

I went from a 59% in my first year at uni to a 72% in my second year (this year). I think it’s possible, but I know I had to work so hard and organise myself to the extreme. It’s stressful but you can do it

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you effectivly need 66%.

Youir main problem is whatever you were doing to et 51% needs substantianal improvement. Both a technique & mentality change will be required.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I've just read your post and it hits very close to heart. I was almost in the exact same situation as yourself. All I can say is DO NOT give up. I studied Engineering and averaged just above 50% in my second year and managed to pull it up to 61% overall after my 3rd year. Furthermore, my friends that studied maths were in a similar situation. You may feel alone but you are not! Please don't worry and just work very very hard. Find things that you did wrong and fix them. Finish assignments early, get them checked etc etc (your dissertation can pull you up a lot)
Original post by jmaserk1
Hey, I've just read your post and it hits very close to heart. I was almost in the exact same situation as yourself. All I can say is DO NOT give up. I studied Engineering and averaged just above 50% in my second year and managed to pull it up to 61% overall after my 3rd year. Furthermore, my friends that studied maths were in a similar situation. You may feel alone but you are not! Please don't worry and just work very very hard. Find things that you did wrong and fix them. Finish assignments early, get them checked etc etc (your dissertation can pull you up a lot)

This helped me so much just reading it... and well done! If you don't mind me asking, what was your final year average?
Mostly, it was the examinations in the first term. My home life was turbulent, and this was combined with a death in the family which hit everybody very hard. I did not do as well as I should have, and I know that. Overall in my final exams, I did manage to achieve some 2:1 marks, so I know it is possible with a little bit more work. While I want to, I am still unsure if I am capable in myself.

This is more positive then. (By the way, you're right that is nearer 66 to 68 - I copied someone else's post of what would be required without checking the maths myself).
If you can point to things which you are sure had a very material effect on your performance, and these things were extraordinary, one-off events which are not likely to recur, then you should be more confident that with a hell of a lot of work it is possible. It won't be easy, but you've got to believe in yourself a bit more, otherwise you're making something which is already difficult virtually impossible.

Be non-emotional and factual about this. You need 66 - this is quite achievable for the average student who's got to the third year intact. You've achieved 2i marks already in some exams/papers - so you know you have the capability. So go out there, spank its arse and get that 66. :smile:
This helped me so much just reading it... and well done! If you don't mind me asking, what was your final year avethank you

Thank you! You can do it 100%!

My final degree average was 61%
Thank you. I got 51% overall, but this is due to the fact I failed a semester one exam which pulled my average down a lot. My other marks were mid to high 2:2s.

So you would need a minimum of 66% overall. My advice is to mark your own work, look at the marking criteria and see where you have or have not reached the criteria and what you could do to improve it.

Also, look for previous essays in your modules that got a high mark, this is not always possible but sometimes your lecturer will show you a small snippet of a good essay and this is a good foundation to see what made it so good and then you can apply this to your own work.

Read your modules learning objectives and if it is an essay look at the words used. Is it ‘critically analyse’, ‘discuss’, ‘evaluate’ etcetera. These words are key, google ‘academic phrasebank’ this should take you to a website which is full of sentences, linking words and examples to ensure you are using the correct academic language and in the most effective way.

Make sure you plan your work - what do you want to answer? What points do you want to make? What words do you need to use (whereas, while, in contrast, interestingly, it is important to note, etcetera).
Read the criteria for over 60% and write this into words you understand and underneath that bullet point what you are going to include and ideas on how you can do this.

All of these things really helped me, hopefully it will do the same for you.
Thank you everyone. I talked it over with my parents also and we agree that I can totally do it, I just have to do that bit more to push myself up! I also looked at my scripts for my exams and while I was marked as "good" for most criteria, [with very good being the highest], I still didn't reach that top point. I know now that I'm not as far off as I think I am, and I must take control if I'm going to get there, starting now!

Thanks in advance.

Hey, i'm not really sure how your university grading system works but I thought I'll let you know about my experience to give you motivation.

In the second year of my degree I got a low 2:1 and failed 2 exams. In the third year I left with a first class degree overall. I did this by getting high firsts in every exam which consisted of hours of revision and dedication but if you really want to attain a good mark then you'll put the hours in. Anything is possible. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending