The Student Room Group

Advice for Dropout starting new degree, lost confidence in my academic ability.

Hello, so I dropped out of an engineering degree last year and will be going back this year to study a different subject (Maths). After dropping out (about 2 months after my course), I lost a bit of my confidence in my academic ability. To be completely honest, I never really wanted to study Engineering and was heavily influenced by others opinions on what I should study (mainly my parents).

This time, I am going to study something I actually enjoy and am passionate about but I have lost a bit of confidence in my abilities after dropping out and I do not want this to affect me in September. Essentially, I don't want a repeat of last year as I really don't want to dropout again. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you overcome the loss of confidence/ coping with dropping out?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, so I dropped out of an engineering degree last year and will be going back this year to study a different subject (Maths). After dropping out (about 2 months after my course), I lost a bit of my confidence in my academic ability. To be completely honest, I never really wanted to study Engineering and was heavily influenced by others opinions on what I should study (mainly my parents).

This time, I am going to study something I actually enjoy and am passionate about but I have lost a bit of confidence in my abilities after dropping out and I do not want this to affect me in September. Essentially, I don't want a repeat of last year as I really don't want to dropout again. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you overcome the loss of confidence/ coping with dropping out?

Make sure your maths "muscles" are well exercised before you start, particularly in those areas you will be studying first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending