The Student Room Group

First year looking for advice

Hi all, I recently started my law degree at university and was wondering if any 2nd or 3rd years had some advice on what I could do throughout the year or at the end of the year to help my employability for when I graduate in a couple of years' time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Freddie :smile:
Reply 1
Freddie - depends a lot on what career path you're looking to follow of course - but generally speaking gaining practical work experience (whether paid or unpaid) during uni holidays, in the area, or similar areas to the career you wish to follow is a solid course of action. + attending careers days, other relevant events at your uni etc...
Original post by AMac86
Freddie - depends a lot on what career path you're looking to follow of course - but generally speaking gaining practical work experience (whether paid or unpaid) during uni holidays, in the area, or similar areas to the career you wish to follow is a solid course of action. + attending careers days, other relevant events at your uni etc...

Thank you for the reply. I’m looking to go down the solicitor route really, anything to do with business, commercial etc.
Original post by FreddieFrench22
Hi all, I recently started my law degree at university and was wondering if any 2nd or 3rd years had some advice on what I could do throughout the year or at the end of the year to help my employability for when I graduate in a couple of years' time?

Hi there

It is nice to hear that you already know which route you want to go down. I would recommend attending any networking events hosted by commercial firms- this would give you the chance to hear from trainee solicitors on their experiences, it would also give you a chance to learn more about the different firms. I know that legal cheek offers quite a few events throughout the year, perhaps it is something you can check out. (Here is one of the events I found really insightful, you may like to have a look: https://live.lawcareers.net/)

Many commercial firms in the UK offer insight schemes for first year students, so I would recommend researching into these. In terms of searching for work experience, I think it would also be a good idea to reach out to local firms and see if they offer any placement opportunities during the holidays.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is nice to hear that you already know which route you want to go down. I would recommend attending any networking events hosted by commercial firms- this would give you the chance to hear from trainee solicitors on their experiences, it would also give you a chance to learn more about the different firms. I know that legal cheek offers quite a few events throughout the year, perhaps it is something you can check out. (Here is one of the events I found really insightful, you may like to have a look: https://live.lawcareers.net/)

Many commercial firms in the UK offer insight schemes for first year students, so I would recommend researching into these. In terms of searching for work experience, I think it would also be a good idea to reach out to local firms and see if they offer any placement opportunities during the holidays.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi Chloe,

Thank you so much for the reply! That info helps a lot, I want to excel my CV and experience more from the start rather than leaving it too late.

I will definitely have a look at what you have suggested, hopefully I can find some that can help me.

Original post by FreddieFrench22

Hi @FreddieFrench22

Firstly, it is great that you are thinking so far ahead so that you can put yourself in the best position in the future! However, I would make sure to not get to bogged down with trying to pursue extra curriculars. At the end of the day, to do well in law you need a good grade in your degree meaning that you have to be very careful to balance anything extra you do so that it does not negatively impact on your end grade 🙂 I would say have a look at doing certain probono work with different legal charities or through your institution as this can give you loads of great practical skills. I would also recommend mooting as one of the best things you can do to show legal experience and ability. If you want to be a barrister then mooting is essential, however, even if you do not want to be a barrister it is so good for developing advocacy skills, critical thinking, confidence and a general understanding of legal topics which you may not cover in your degree. Having said this, anything extra curricular that you do can be useful for showing important transferrable skills so do things that you enjoy and just make sure to think along the way how they can boost a CV and ensure that they do not cause your academics to suffer.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending