The Student Room Group

i dont know if i should drop out

currently i am in first year and about to go into my second semester. i really have lost passion for my degree, its not something im really crazy about anymore and i dont see myself really wanting to pursue a career in it. Alongside this my social life at uni isnt that good and more than likely im going to have live alone next year and with the cost of living private and campus accomodation will be too expensive for me. i just feel like i dont want to do it anymore and i would rather just stop the 36,000 debt for the next two years from coming into my life but im scared to drop out as i dont want limited career oppotunities especially as i want to live abroad when older and im scared of being a failure.
Original post by l-s.10932
currently i am in first year and about to go into my second semester. i really have lost passion for my degree, its not something im really crazy about anymore and i dont see myself really wanting to pursue a career in it. Alongside this my social life at uni isnt that good and more than likely im going to have live alone next year and with the cost of living private and campus accomodation will be too expensive for me. i just feel like i dont want to do it anymore and i would rather just stop the 36,000 debt for the next two years from coming into my life but im scared to drop out as i dont want limited career oppotunities especially as i want to live abroad when older and im scared of being a failure.

I would definitely consider the options to you first, what’s the degree your pursuing perhaps you could do an apprenticeship in something that suits you, that you’ll enjoy you’ll learn while you earn whilst it’s government funded and you won’t have to repay anything…

Hi there
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Echoing the advice above, I think it is really important to think about your options.

Is there perhaps another degree that you are interested in, or perhaps some sort of apprenticeship course? Before making an important decision to drop out of University, consider speaking to a career advisor at your University. They may help you walk through your options and explore potential opportunities with you.

What is the reason you are losing passion in the current degree? Is it the topics that you are studying, the environment, or the workload? I sometimes find my degree hard to get through too, and it is important to remind yourself why you chose the degree in the first place.

Regarding social life, many University students do not make meaningful friendships until the end of first you. You are still really early on in your degree, so if this is one of your major concerns, there are definitely chances to meet more people.

I would really recommend getting the opinion of family or friends, and seeing where to go from there.
Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey! What course is it you are currently studying? Have you considered whether there's any other courses you'd be interested in, as many universities do allow students to change courses during their first year depending on availability. So I'd recommend booking in a meeting with your personal tutor or speak to the student support team at your uni.

In terms of social life, I'm sorry to hear it's not been that good! Have you been joining any clubs or societies to meet new people? If you do decide to stay on at uni, whether it's at a new uni and a new course, I'd recommend getting involved in activities like these, or even taking part in volunteering opportunities or becoming a student ambassador so you're around new people. When I was a student I didn't really make close friendships until a couple years in, so it's totally different for everyone don't put pressure on yourself to make meaningful friendships immediately.

Like others have said, if you do decide on dropping out you can always take up an apprenticeship, or go into an entry-level job etc. You have plenty of options :smile:

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you and I wish you the best for the future :smile:

Becky

Hi there,

As an international student who has faced similar doubts and uncertainties, I want to remind you that it's okay to reevaluate your goals and make changes. It's important to prioritize your happiness and well-being. Dropping out may seem like a tempting option to avoid the financial burden, but it's important to weigh the potential long-term impacts on your career aspirations.

Consider exploring other options before making any decisions. You can reach out to academic advisors or career services at your university to discuss your concerns and explore alternative career paths or majors. They can provide valuable guidance and support in helping you make an informed decision.

Remember, this is your journey, and it's important to pursue what truly makes you happy and fulfilled. It's never too late to make changes and pursue a different path. Take some time to reflect on your passions and interests, and don't be afraid to seek advice and support from professionals and those around you.

You have the ability to shape your future, and there are opportunities out there that can align with your goals and dreams, including living abroad. It may take time and effort, but with perseverance and the right support, you can find a path that brings you fulfilment and success.

Take care and best of luck,

Ilya 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending