The Student Room Group

Career change

I have recently graduated with a 2:1 degree in Accounting and Finance and had worked my way up from Accounts Assistant to working as a Finance Manager which I’m currently at, however, I find this career very boring and depressing! My passion lies elsewhere, should I quit this job and change careers after all that time and effort put into it? What’s your advice people?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AlphaSoldier
I have recently graduated with a 2:1 degree in Accounting and Finance and had worked my way up from Accounts Assistant to working as a Finance Manager which I’m currently at, however, I find this career very boring and depressing! My passion lies elsewhere, should I quit this job and change careers after all that time and effort put into it? What’s your advice people?

Every industry needs finance managers, just move to a sector you love and apply your professional skills there - in a zoo, a theatre, a football club, for a charity, in a school, in the NHS, for a start up etc.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Every industry needs finance managers, just move to a sector you love and apply your professional skills there - in a zoo, a theatre, a football club, for a charity, in a school, in the NHS, for a start up etc.

Thanks for your reply, but I meant a complete change in career. Like something away from being on the computer all day at the office to a more active career. For example, I’ve been studying counselling recently which is basically about providing therapy and helping people with anxiety, loneliness, problems in life… and trying to find practical solutions. I’ve more passionate about the counselling career but I’m in 2 minds? The thing that’s bothering me is should I take the risk, leave my job and career in accounting and finance and take the plunge into this new career knowing it’ll cost me a little bit for now!
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaSoldier
Thanks for your reply, but I meant a complete change in career. Like something away from being on the computer all day at the office to a more active career. For example, I’ve been studying counselling recently which is basically about providing therapy and helping people with anxiety, loneliness, problems in life… and trying to find practical solutions. I’ve more passionate about the counselling career but I’m in 2 minds? The thing that’s bothering me is should I take the risk, leave my job and career in accounting and finance and take the plunge into this new career knowing it’ll cost me a little bit for now!

I'm doing a very similar thing - I have a decent career (having graduated approximately 6 years ago) and I have decided to shift in a very different direction to a more person-focused career instead. It took a lot of reflection for me to eventually come to the conclusion that, by the sounds of it, you could probably apply to your current situation: if your current success hasn't brought the happiness you are looking for, then further success in that area is unlikely to change that.

So if you value feeling passionate about what you are doing over financial gain, then why not give it a try? Leaving a career doesn't mean you will lose the skills and experience you have gained during that time and so if you do change direction, you may not be able to turn back to the exact same job, but doors will always be open for you in the finance industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending