The Student Room Group

Buying my first car.

No one in my immediate family drives and I could really do with some advice.

I'm currently completing my driving lessons and I'm looking at getting a new car. The issue is I'm going to be travelling a lot, I'll have to make two hour trips there and back to a place quite regularly, I'm also volunteering and going to events all over England.

When looking at buying a car, what should I look at? Also, could someone recommend a milage starting point, I'm not sure on that either.
Reply 1
Original post by trs200101
No one in my immediate family drives and I could really do with some advice.

I'm currently completing my driving lessons and I'm looking at getting a new car. The issue is I'm going to be travelling a lot, I'll have to make two hour trips there and back to a place quite regularly, I'm also volunteering and going to events all over England.

When looking at buying a car, what should I look at? Also, could someone recommend a milage starting point, I'm not sure on that either.

The biggest aspect of you buying a car as a new driver is going to be insurance so get that costed first. Generally speaking, the more basic the car, the cheaper the insurance, so forget air con, electric windows and seats. Having said that, you are doing a lot of miles so bigger is generally better. You are going to have to do your research I'm afraid.

Good luck with your test.
Original post by hotpud
so forget air con, electric windows and seats.

That sounds a bit overkill to say the least and more appropriate to like 15-20 years ago, those aren't the things pushing up the insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
That sounds a bit overkill to say the least and more appropriate to like 15-20 years ago, those aren't the things pushing up the insurance.

If you say so. My mate bought a car for his kids to drive. He did lots of research and ended up buying what he calls a bin. I think it is a 2004 Suzuki Wagon. No mod cons at all so very easy to fix in the event of the inevitable prang. This is also reflected in the insurance. As soon as you add air con, the insurance goes up because that is an additional expense to fix given a small prang.

PS - he works for an insurance company!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
If you say so. My mate bought a car for his kids to drive. He did lots of research and ended up buying what he calls a bin. I think it is a 2004 Suzuki Wagon. No mod cons at all so very easy to fix in the event of the inevitable prang. This is also reflected in the insurance. As soon as you add air con, the insurance goes up because that is an additional expense to fix given a small prang.

PS - he works for an insurance company!

I'm not saying there is 0 truth to it, more that telling a new driver to just 'forget' these basic features with no further context is a strange message imo, esp for how little a part they will play n the final price.

I feel in this year you would need to really go out of your way to search out a vehicle with such spartan options, as I can't imagine they are popular to purchase as it nerfs it's resale value when compared to the 'fully loaded' or whatever sellers

(Ok I have to ask, what sort of prangs are you having that mess up your air con of all things? :P )
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
I'm not saying there is 0 truth to it, more that telling a new driver to just 'forget' these basic features with no further context is a strange message imo, esp for how little a part they will play n the final price.

I feel in this year you would need to really go out of your way to search out a vehicle with such spartan options, as I can't imagine they are popular to purchase as it nerfs it's resale value when compared to the 'fully loaded' or whatever sellers

(Ok I have to ask, what sort of prangs are you having that mess up your air con of all things? :P )

You may well be right. However, I have it on trust from someone who works in the industry that it does make a difference and that person has gone on to act on his own advice so what do I know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending