The Student Room Group

how expensive are cars to maintain for 6th formers

to the 6th formers who have a car, how expensive is it to own one. i know it will vary on many factors but i just want to get a rough idea on how expensive stuff like oil, insurance etc is.
Reply 1
Petrol like £20 a week max if you are just going locally, insurance if you do it by the books is like 250 a month, mot £50 a year, servicing like £300 a year, if you need to tax it then £150 odd a year… I would then allocate a couple hundred a year in case of tyre issues or insurance excess etc
This is an impossible question to answer because it depends entirely on the car and the age of the car.

At sixth former age you probably arent going to have an expensive newer car, old cars can be very reliable but they need a lot of maintaining. Things like rust and wear and tear can be very costly.
Reply 3
Original post by ALEreapp
Petrol like £20 a week max if you are just going locally, insurance if you do it by the books is like 250 a month, mot £50 a year, servicing like £300 a year, if you need to tax it then £150 odd a year… I would then allocate a couple hundred a year in case of tyre issues or insurance excess etc

250 on insurance? jesus. how did u manage to keep up with all this?
Reply 4
Original post by XXSlayerXX
to the 6th formers who have a car, how expensive is it to own one. i know it will vary on many factors but i just want to get a rough idea on how expensive stuff like oil, insurance etc is.

Unless it is a hobby of yours, or required for commuting to place you can't get to by bus often, I wouldn't bother.

I got a car a few years ago in the first year of sixth form and by the time I'd passed by test it was the start of the second year. I didn't use it for commuting into college as the bus was only a £3 return which worked out a lot cheaper than petrol. I'll assume you want to travel to college in it for the next bit...

Here is assuming that you have a 2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol

It has 47mpg so will be around £20-25 per week in petrol, making £80/90 a month or so (assuming you don't make many long journeys.)

Tax is £200 per year so £17 per month (tax prices have risen recently)

Insurance for a 17 year old living with parents parking on a driveway £1800 a year with a blackbox so £170 or so per month if you pay monthly

Servicing and MOT will likely be £200 per year for a well maintained small car (some year will be more some will be less obv) working out around £17 quid a month

Therefore you're looking for around £285 - £290 per month for car ownership

For reference an ANNUAL bus pass is £480 in my area for an adult (about £300 for a college student) working out about £40 and £25 per month respectively
Original post by CoolCavy
This is an impossible question to answer because it depends entirely on the car and the age of the car.

At sixth former age you probably arent going to have an expensive newer car, old cars can be very reliable but they need a lot of maintaining. Things like rust and wear and tear can be very costly.

I agree

I wouldnt rely on that figure too much. Insurance costs vary wildly, so we cannot really say how much it will be.
Just the same as the road tax figure mentioned isnt exactly accurate. For example mine is £30 a year.
Reply 7

Key thing is ‘by the books’ I pay £50 a month for insurance and have done since I passed. Take from that what you will.
Original post by Emma:-)
Just the same as the road tax figure mentioned isnt exactly accurate. For example mine is £30 a year.

Mine is like £645 :eek:
Original post by StriderHort
Mine is like £645 :eek:

It varies a lot from car to car

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending