The Student Room Group

Insurance is really high for new drivers

I am struggling everyday to find cheap insurance. They are at £5000-6000
How can I reduce it as I know that I have to be truthful and I am or else nobody will give me insurance.

I am also a student and do not work (embarrassing ik) and im 21. I don't mind getting black box so they could track my driving

can i reduce it to 2000 at max if it is possible or no?!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Every one is different you need to look on comparison sites. You may need to look at a different car if you haven't bought it yet.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
How can I reduce it as I know that I have to be truthful and I am or else nobody will give me insurance.

I am also a student and do not work (embarrassing ik) and im 21. I don't mind getting black box so they could track my driving

Add a parent onto your policy but also make sure you are driving a really rubbish car ideally with no air conditioning, electric windows or power steering. Third party is not necessarily cheaper than fully comp.

Alternatively, save yourself the money and travel by public transport or hire a car when you need one. I am always gobsmacked at how much people spend on keeping a depreciating asset on their driveway each year.
Reply 3

Name a parent as an additional driver - do not get a black box.
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
Add a parent onto your policy but also make sure you are driving a really rubbish car ideally with no air conditioning, electric windows or power steering. Third party is not necessarily cheaper than fully comp.

Alternatively, save yourself the money and travel by public transport or hire a car when you need one. I am always gobsmacked at how much people spend on keeping a depreciating asset on their driveway each year.

Public transport, what's that? In many places having a car is essential to get anywhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Public transport, what's that? In many places having a car is essential to get anywhere.

Yes and no. I've lived in some pretty remote places and still used public transport. It is more of a mindset. Equally, cost of taxis may well still be cheaper over a year than buying, paying for, maintaining, insuring and running a car.

Alternatively, OP is 21 and doesn't have a job. Perhaps getting a job and moving out (into a town with public transport) might be an alternative solution?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hotpud
Yes and no. I've lived in some pretty remote places and still used public transport. It is more of a mindset. Equally, cost of taxis may well still be cheaper over a year than buying, paying for, maintaining, insuring and running a car.

Alternatively, OP is 21 and doesn't have a job. Perhaps getting a job and moving out (into a town with public transport) might be an alternative solution?

No, taxis costs to go to work would wipe out many people's wages.

Moving out is not cheap!
I used public transport well into my thirties. It sucked but saved me a spectacular amount of money.

Regarding the OP, yes I’d definitely consider whether it’s essential now, but otherwise trying different vehicles is the best bet.
Reply 8
No, taxis costs to go to work would wipe out many people's wages.

Moving out is not cheap!

I fully appreciate that. And of course there is always the "on your bike" trick. I commuted by bike for years and moved to be close to work as required. My point is that there are always options if the most convenient option is not available.
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud
I fully appreciate that. And of course there is always the "on your bike" trick. I commuted by bike for years and moved to be close to work as required. My point is that there are always options if the most convenient option is not available.

It is not safe to cycle on narrow country roads .... obviously you've not lived in some of the places I'm familiar with where the car is the only viable option.
Reply 10

I dont mind getting blackbox as I am very careful... But now the worry is about the insurance as the car also needs to be cheap to insure.
Reply 11

I have...the problem is she has 5 years of driving experience and it is not getting lower. Also being a student makes it higher especially if not working. I also appreciate your help :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Faultybot
Every one is different you need to look on comparison sites. You may need to look at a different car if you haven't bought it yet.

I havent bought a car yet as looking at the insurance price is making me rethink on whether it is worth getting a car..but yk it will be faster to get to places
Reply 13
It is not safe to cycle on narrow country roads .... obviously you've not lived in some of the places I'm familiar with where the car is the only viable option.

Yes I have. Grew up in the Yorkshire Dales and worked as my first job in the Northamptonshire Netherlands. I didn't have a car in either. Owning a car is a privilege, not a right and "I need a car" is a state of mind, not a reality. You don't "need" to live in the middle of nowhere. If you can't afford a car, then perhaps you need to face the simple fact that you need to live elsewhere if you are to thrive.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 14
I havent bought a car yet as looking at the insurance price is making me rethink on whether it is worth getting a car..but yk it will be faster to get to places

Yes it's convenient to get somewhere quickly, you need to factor in weekly fuel costs.

I didn't get my car until a month after passing last year as I needed to find the right one for me.
Original post by hotpud
Yes I have. Grew up in the Yorkshire Dales and worked as my first job in the Northamptonshire Netherlands. I didn't have a car in either. Owning a car is a privilege, not a right and "I need a car" is a state of mind, not a reality. You don't "need" to live in the middle of nowhere. If you can't afford a car, then perhaps you need to face the simple fact that you need to live elsewhere if you are to thrive.

Yorkshire dales have more cars than many areas and there's no need to be so rude
I encouraged my son to learn to drive as there's no way he could visit friends at weekends without one [no buses whatsoever] - at 18 he couldn't afford to move nearer them. Please be more understanding of other people's circumstances ...
Reply 16

Might as well move then rather than pay £400-£500/month on insuring a car.

I don't see how it's viable to pat the same in rent in a city just on car insurance.
Original post by TiBFS
Might as well move then rather than pay £400-£500/month on insuring a car.

I don't see how it's viable to pat the same in rent in a city just on car insurance.

How can an 18 year old afford to move? His car insurance was £800 for a year [a few years back as a new driver] that wouldn't even cover one months rent.
There’s basically no point driving anymore
Reply 19
Original post by Faultybot
Yes it's convenient to get somewhere quickly, you need to factor in weekly fuel costs.

I didn't get my car until a month after passing last year as I needed to find the right one for me.

can i ask which car is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending