The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

St. Davids or The Oldway centre (Swansea)

Hello, Please I need some help deciding where to get accommodation...I've narrowed my choices to St.Davids and The Oldway Centre. Does anyone here have personal experience in this student accommodation?
Reply 1
Original post by Curiouscat001
Hello, Please I need some help deciding where to get accommodation...I've narrowed my choices to St.Davids and The Oldway Centre. Does anyone here have personal experience in this student accommodation?

St David's accomodation I heard give free bus passes which is big considering public transport isn't the greatest. It is also closer to Bay Campus, the Swansea Marina and the retail park so groceries and travelling to those places are easier. I personally chose Oldway as it is right in front of the train station, 5-10 mins from the retail park and other stores, Midway between Bay campus and singleton and has a nice gym, new building and has nice views. It really depends on your preferences, what are you looking for?
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by KiDAsia
St David's accomodation I heard give free bus passes which is big considering public transport isn't the greatest. It is also closer to Bay Campus, the Swansea Marina and the retail park so groceries and travelling to those places are easier. I personally chose Oldway as it is right in front of the train station, 5-10 mins from the retail park and other stores, Midway between Bay campus and singleton and has a nice gym, new building and has nice views. It really depends on your preferences, what are you looking for?

What about Seren accommodation is it near train station, good location, what about bus?
Reply 3
Original post by Haya12345
What about Seren accommodation is it near train station, good location, what about bus?

Seren is very close to Oldway centre, next to train station and I think the tallest accomodation in Swansea. Right next to the retail parc with groceries and other shops, next to train station and halfway between both campuses. That saying, the buses are inconsistent in Swansea but the accomodation itself is nice and modern
I have heard a lot of talk about the buses in Swansea being inconsistent. How do y’all move around then? I’m seriously considering private accommodation, but I want to know if I should just settle for on-campus accommodation for ease of getting to and from lectures
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have heard a lot of talk about the buses in Swansea being inconsistent. How do y’all move around then? I’m seriously considering private accommodation, but I want to know if I should just settle for on-campus accommodation for ease of getting to and from lectures

Private accommodations in Swansea city centre like Oldway, Seren, Ty Nant are 30-45 min walk to Singleton. Buses are generally ok, they can be tracked through the “FirstBus App”, I’m sure it is more consistent during university term times.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey! Hope you're well.

I have been at student at Swansea for the last 7 years, both living on Campus and in neighbouring student areas and have never really had issues with buses myself. As has been said, buses can be tracked using the First Bus App and are pretty consistent during term time, with timetables available in advance. The Students' Union are constantly working at improving bus transport in and around the city using feedback regularly received from students. The private student residences e.g., Seren, True Living, The Oldway Centre and St David's Student Roost are all on a regular bus route, or within walking distance to a bus stop for one, so accessibility to lectures shouldn't be an issue. From any of these you'd also be a short walk into town, which can be fun to explore what Swansea has to offer as a city, including being a stone's throw away from its bustling night life.

My best advice would be to pick the accommodation that best suits you in terms of location, style and price and go with that. Getting around is never usually a challenge with Swansea being a relatively small yet busy city.

In terms of private residences, Swansea University has recently partnered with True Student and Seren which are both stunning options. If you need more information on accommodation, both on and off campus, check out our options.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hope Henry - Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student and Swansea Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest