The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Not the offer I was hoping for.

I applied for Zoology at Swansea, and received a conditional offer today, which usually I would be thrilled with. However, the offer I received was 'Biology with foundation year' which is obviously not what I applied for.

I don't know why I was offered this instead, and it's not ideal. Still feeling kind of disappointed about it tbh, because the other places I've applied to, while their courses look good and I'd willingly go to any of them if I couldn't attend my first choice, their locations aren't really what I was hoping for.

So my question is, could I accept this offer and then transfer onto the Zoology degree after my first year of the Biology foundation degree?

I don't really want to do this. I'm a mature student and don't want to add another year onto my studies when I've already attended 3 years of college to get this far. But I'm trying to explore all of my options.
Original post by Highflyers
I applied for Zoology at Swansea, and received a conditional offer today, which usually I would be thrilled with. However, the offer I received was 'Biology with foundation year' which is obviously not what I applied for.

I don't know why I was offered this instead, and it's not ideal. Still feeling kind of disappointed about it tbh, because the other places I've applied to, while their courses look good and I'd willingly go to any of them if I couldn't attend my first choice, their locations aren't really what I was hoping for.

So my question is, could I accept this offer and then transfer onto the Zoology degree after my first year of the Biology foundation degree?

I don't really want to do this. I'm a mature student and don't want to add another year onto my studies when I've already attended 3 years of college to get this far. But I'm trying to explore all of my options.

I would get in touch with them to query. I guess that they felt you didn't meet the requirements for the main course for direct entry and so offered you the foundation year. But they should be able to advise you more if you contact them directly!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Highflyers

Hi @Highflyers , I hope all is well. Great to hear you're interested in studying Zoology with us at Swansea.

It might be that we've based our offer on qualifications/grades and specific entry requirements - sometimes we will offer an alternative course including Foundation. If you have any specific questions, you're welcome to get in touch with the Faculty team directly - Tel: 01792 295514 / Email: [email protected].

In answer to your question about transferring to Zoology Year 1 - in theory yes, you could request to transfer on completion of Foundation (Level 3), although there may be min expectations around L3 Foundation results to allow transfer, as well as available places. The Faculty team should be able to advise in more detail if needed.

If I can help with anything else, please let me know. Many thanks. Gethin (Future Students Team).

Quick Reply

Latest