The Student Room Group

Advice for burnt out student just before alevel mocks

n/a
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Mate honestly don't stress at all! Good to hear you've been working hard and putting in the graft in year 12, trust me it'll pay off in the long run.
Let me tell you, from what you've said, you have done MORE than enough revision for mocks!
I've just completed my actual A-Levels, and most of my year weren't doing 3 hours of revision a day.
Remember, it's only a mock exam, nothing to stress over at all, and definitely nothing to make yourself ill over :smile: My year 12 mocks from memory didn't mean a lot at all, my early year 13 ones were the exam results used for predicted grades and Uni applications. Finally, don't stress about an EPQ, unless a Uni you're interested in specifically asks for one, don't put it before your studies, I completely disregarded it in year 13 for the good of my actual exams, and I'm glad I did, it will come at a detriment to my EPQ grade, but I'll be happier knowing it gets me a better overall grade in my 3 subjects.

Final takeaways, do not stress...at all. You'll smash it matie, give yourself a break as it'll be good practice for more important exams down the line.
Let us know how they go!
Reply 2
Hi there! I'm a year 10 student with Gcse mock exams coming up in a week from tomorrow. I am in great stress and I haven't been organising my time well enough. Like you, I haven't done much revision. I have studied so hard all year long to try to achieve good grades for my end of unit assessments, but in reality, I always end up not getting the grades I wish for. I have so much to revise for in little time (less than a week) and I have barely started. I feel so burnt out and stressed, but I can't even imagine how you feel as you are taking A-levels and my current qualification is only at pre-Gcse stage.

What I would recommend (from my experience and others) is please, please, please don't pull any all nighters!! They burn you out completely and although you may feel like you have so much to do in little time, and that pulling all nighters will help you, in reality they wont. I have done this in the past due to immense amounts of stress and they really didn't help. When the days of the exams come, you will feel super tired and drained from all of that time spent revising, when you could instead sleep and help your brain recharge and rest. Let's face it, our bodies need sleep every night for a good amount of time. If you stay up trying to learn or revise something, you probably won't remember it the next day anyway or it may just slip out of your head, so sleeping is the better option. This has actually worked for me instead of staying up all night even though I have barely revised anything.

I really do understand that you have exams tomorrow and I feel so sorry for you! What I can say is please do not worry that much about your exams. Try to get a good nights rest and calm yourself down! Although you say that you may not be entirely prepared (which happens to countless people, including me), think about the revision you have done as opposed to the revision you haven't done, and with the amount of revision you have done, you'll be more than ready! Try to remember what you did, even if it was just a little part of a topic, and if you feel really stressed about your exams tomorrow, just tell yourself that you have tried your absolute best! I know that feeling when you know you haven't revised that much and you come up to your exam and feel so anxious, but in your case, these are only mocks! try to get a feel of what the proper exams will be like and try to at least be thankful that these aren't the real exams. You'll have a chance to do your real exams to the best of your ability.

On a final note, what I would say is please don't stress out! You just have to try to make yourself understand that you have been trying your absolute best during the whole year, so this doesn't mean you are lazy or you didn't put enough effort in. You have put in so much effort and you should feel so proud of yourself! Try to tell yourself that you have been feeling drained out due to the fact that you *wanted to* put in maximum effort towards your grades, and that these mock exams don't define you! They are just a guide and another step into the path of your education and uni applications.

Sorry for the long response, butr I felt that you should deserve to hear this! And don't forget, YOU GOT THIS! I believe in you!! : )

Stay positive and strong!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hey_LOL102
Hi there! I'm a year 10 student with Gcse mock exams coming up in a week from tomorrow. I am in great stress and I haven't been organising my time well enough. Like you, I haven't done much revision. I have studied so hard all year long to try to achieve good grades for my end of unit assessments, but in reality, I always end up not getting the grades I wish for. I have so much to revise for in little time (less than a week) and I have barely started. I feel so burnt out and stressed, but I can't even imagine how you feel as you are taking A-levels and my current qualification is only at pre-Gcse stage.

What I would recommend (from my experience and others) is please, please, please don't pull any all nighters!! They burn you out completely and although you may feel like you have so much to do in little time, and that pulling all nighters will help you, in reality they wont. I have done this in the past due to immense amounts of stress and they really didn't help. When the days of the exams come, you will feel super tired and drained from all of that time spent revising, when you could instead sleep and help your brain recharge and rest. Let's face it, our bodies need sleep every night for a good amount of time. If you stay up trying to learn or revise something, you probably won't remember it the next day anyway or it may just slip out of your head, so sleeping is the better option. This has actually worked for me instead of staying up all night even though I have barely revised anything.

I really do understand that you have exams tomorrow and I feel so sorry for you! What I can say is please do not worry that much about your exams. Try to get a good nights rest and calm yourself down! Although you say that you may not be entirely prepared, think about the revision you have done as opposed to the revision you haven't done. Try to remember what you did, even if it was just a little part of a topic, and if you feel really stressed about your exams tomorrow, just tell yourself that you have tried your absolute best! I know that feeling when you know you haven't revised that much and you come up to your exam and feel so anxious, but in your case, these are only mocks! try to get a feel of what the proper exams will be like and try to at least be thankful that these aren't the real exams, although mocks are important and intimidating!

On a final note, what I would say is please don't stress out! You just have to try to make yourself understand that you have been trying your absolute best during the whole year, so this doesn't mean you are lazy or you didn't put enough effort in. You have put in so much effort and you should feel so proud of yourself! Try to tell yourself that you have been feeling drained out due to the fact that you wanted to put in maximum effort towards your grades, and that these mock exams don't define you! They are just a guide and another step into the path of your education and uni applications.

Sorry for the long response, butr I felt that you should deserve to hear this! And don't forget, YOU GOT THIS! I believe in you!! : )

Stay positive and strong!

That's such a lovely response, and remember to practice everything you've just stated yourself.
As a student who's just finished their actual A-levels, please my golly to not stress about GCSE mocks whatsoever, especially not year 10!! By all means do your best and keep up your work ethic, as it sounds like you are leaps and bounds above EVERYONE in the country going through GCSE's, and keep wanting to push yourself. But remember to strike a healthy balance.

Advice I'd give to you... GCSE's are a stepping stone to A-Levels and A-Levels are a stepping stone to Uni. It's literally that simple. I got a 5 in maths at GCSE and a 6,7 in English. But my main subjects (the ones I took for A levels) I got 9, 8, 7. And now I'm wanting to get minimum A,A,B in my A-levels.

Remember, it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there, and from the advice you've already given it sounds like you've got your head screwed on the right way lol.

Go and smash those exams and remember to giver yourself a break, there's more to life than stressing over exams!

Again, let us know how it all goesssss :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BigNeal4
That's such a lovely response, and remember to practice everything you've just stated yourself.
As a student who's just finished their actual A-levels, please my golly to not stress about GCSE mocks whatsoever, especially not year 10!! By all means do your best and keep up your work ethic, as it sounds like you are leaps and bounds above EVERYONE in the country going through GCSE's, and keep wanting to push yourself. But remember to strike a healthy balance.

Advice I'd give to you... GCSE's are a stepping stone to A-Levels and A-Levels are a stepping stone to Uni. It's literally that simple. I got a 5 in maths at GCSE and a 6,7 in English. But my main subjects (the ones I took for A levels) I got 9, 8, 7. And now I'm wanting to get minimum A,A,B in my A-levels.

Remember, it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there, and from the advice you've already given it sounds like you've got your head screwed on the right way lol.

Go and smash those exams and remember to giver yourself a break, there's more to life than stressing over exams!

Again, let us know how it all goesssss :smile:

Thank you so much for all the advice and help! I really appreciate the time you put into just replying!

I think that everything you said is more than correct and it will take a while for me to get used to everything.I'm hoping to do well in everything I attempt but you are completely right in saying that it doesn't matter how we get somewhere, it matters that we get there.

I really hope your A-levels went amazingly well and I hope you get the grades that you truly deserve!

As for my exams, I will just have to wait and see how I do haha

Please keep us updated on how you do and thank you so much again! :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you for all of your replies I really appreciate them. Really made me feel better going into my exams today so thank you :smile:

First exam went ok but not as bad as I thought it would- I forgot that I do actually like taking exams in some instances lol.

I really relate to you in year 10, but I found that the amount I got stressed because of my mocks then actually made me less stressed for the real exams the next summer. I wish you luck though it sounds like you don’t need it for the effort you are putting in!

I really appreciate all of your replies again, they have made me feel better so thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by goodfish
Thank you for all of your replies I really appreciate them. Really made me feel better going into my exams today so thank you :smile:

First exam went ok but not as bad as I thought it would- I forgot that I do actually like taking exams in some instances lol.

I really relate to you in year 10, but I found that the amount I got stressed because of my mocks then actually made me less stressed for the real exams the next summer. I wish you luck though it sounds like you don’t need it for the effort you are putting in!

I really appreciate all of your replies again, they have made me feel better so thank you.

I'm so glad that you feel better and it's amazing that your exams went better than you thought they would turn out! You give a really solid point about mocks too.

Again, thank you so much and I wish you luck for all of your exams in the future! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest