The Student Room Group

To those that got grade 9s in GCSEs, what did you do in year 10?

Did you just enjoy life, revise for end of topic tests only, or start your full revision? What would you recommend to a yr 10 student who is targetting for grade 9s?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got a grade 9 in English Lang, history, Sociology and drama (and my other grades were 8,7,6:7 and 6)
at your point i revised for end of topic tests and did homework to the best of my ability but nothing more than that, i built this up and my end of year 10 mocks involved like 2/3 weeks of what id call full revision (2-3 hours each night split across my lessons), took the summer off pretty much to be in a good place for the next year.
for year 11 i did a similar thing and started full revision during my second to last set of mocks which was feb-March time, i then continued this until may/ June but I’d say it’s more common to start this in the Easter break, it’s just up to you.
Reply 2
I got straight A*s. In year 10 I chilled a bit, don't go all out on revision because you will get burnt out, especially as you have less exams to revise for. I'd revise for end of year tests and attended any revision days the school hosted. I think I started 'revising' in March half term, an hour every other night (btw I had 6 exams in year 10), and then Easter holiday I did like 5 hours a day (mind I probably could have managed this better by doing a bit more in March/April). Either way don't start proper revision before March or you'll forget it by the summer. If you are really eager to start revising before then I'd just reread old topic notes (like in February reread your notes from September to remind yourself a bit of what you learnt without actually revising).

Nevertheless in Year 10 you can relax a bit. Do try and perform well in your mocks though, that gives you your first taster of what revising will be like and how much you need to do to succeed.
Nothing, I started revising in the first week of year 11
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
Did you just enjoy life, revise for end of topic tests only, or start your full revision? What would you recommend to a yr 10 student who is targetting for grade 9s?

hey! I got all A*s (didn’t have 1-9 grades) and honestly I didn’t really do much in year 10.. I revised for mocks and would revise the night before for in class tests, but that was it. Honestly I didn’t start hardcore revision until the Easter holidays of year 11, which was probably too late because I ended up quite burnt out. My advice for now would be to just get a good balance and keep a steady flow of revision.. after school summarise your notes and make some flashcards (Anki is a lifesaver), then just go over them whenever you get the time. Don’t do so much you get burnt out now, but don’t do so little that you cram before your exams like I did and get burnt out! It’s a really fine balance to strike

Hey I didn’t get all 9s but my little sister did this year (11 subjects). She was actually out of school for most of Y10 as she got long-term covid and decided to take it easy. What she made sure to do was to keep her notes up to date and to understand a topic the first time around (studying for the topic test). She only really fully revised a month before her actual GCSEs for most of her subjects (3 sciences, maths, English lang, French, geo, and business). For English lit, you gotta do revision from time to time (lack of topic tests) especially for poetry. If you are doing geo it’s better to start revision early on as the amount of content was truly overwhelming for her (on top of the coursework in year 11). All in all, enjoy Y10 and pickup the habit of staying organised. I think it’s wonderful that you are aiming for all 9s as having this goal will motivate you to revise seriously (something I unfortunately didn’t do until it was too late). Good luck this year!
Thanks! Yeah, so far I'm just revising for end of topic tests and do well in them.
Original post by rycbar.123
hey! I got all A*s (didn’t have 1-9 grades) and honestly I didn’t really do much in year 10.. I revised for mocks and would revise the night before for in class tests, but that was it. Honestly I didn’t start hardcore revision until the Easter holidays of year 11, which was probably too late because I ended up quite burnt out. My advice for now would be to just get a good balance and keep a steady flow of revision.. after school summarise your notes and make some flashcards (Anki is a lifesaver), then just go over them whenever you get the time. Don’t do so much you get burnt out now, but don’t do so little that you cram before your exams like I did and get burnt out! It’s a really fine balance to strike

I once tried to use anki in year 9, then just procrastinated to long to bother updating them, maybe I should try restart it.
I once tried to use anki in year 9, then just procrastinated to long to bother updating them, maybe I should try restart it.

I had the same problem but now in year 13 I have learnt that there are the most useful when the cards are minimal and use diagrams/pictures/highlighting/underlining/italics for any markscheme examiner comments /keywords. I like Ray Amjads method of making flashcards on a word doc (easy to edit after some exam practise/ organise) and then copy onto anki.
Original post by northernlights60

I had the same problem but now in year 13 I have learnt that there are the most useful when the cards are minimal and use diagrams/pictures/highlighting/underlining/italics for any markscheme examiner comments /keywords. I like Ray Amjads method of making flashcards on a word doc (easy to edit after some exam practise/ organise) and then copy onto anki.

Hmm I'll check it out, would it still be effective if I were to just download those flashcards? Or would the effort of making them be worth it?
Reply 10

In year 10 - its a pretty chilled year, I didn't do all too much. But like you said revise for end of topic tests, and enjoy. In the year 10 summer hols i'd recommend getting a head start with revision resources - whatever they are flashcards, notes etc. But start revising for your mocks then, so you feel prepared as it all happens so quick! But when it comes to the mocks and revision in year 11 step it up - you only get what you put in.
Original post by sjs54645

In year 10 - its a pretty chilled year, I didn't do all too much. But like you said revise for end of topic tests, and enjoy. In the year 10 summer hols i'd recommend getting a head start with revision resources - whatever they are flashcards, notes etc. But start revising for your mocks then, so you feel prepared as it all happens so quick! But when it comes to the mocks and revision in year 11 step it up - you only get what you put in.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to stick to that.
Hmm I'll check it out, would it still be effective if I were to just download those flashcards? Or would the effort of making them be worth it?

It depends on how you learn.. but if you do decide to download them make sure you edit them to include mark scheme key words/ examiner comments to build exam technique.

year 10 for me was a year of pure jokes, although i did try hard in the core subject topic tests (extras like rs and classics i was not fussed). we had year 10 mocks in my school, and i worked myself to the BONE revising for them to the point that i made myself grievously ill and ended up doing awful in most of them (top tip! dont do this lmao those tests dont matter i ended up getting 6s in most exams because i was practically a corpse whilst i did them). my advice would be to revise a healthy amount for any "important" tests eg mocks because whilst they mean nothing theyre vital in terms of preparing you for the actual exams. muck about in lessons, have fun all you want, but for the end of year tests buckle down and try because its so unbelievably helpful for you in the long run. for content heavy subjects eg history and english id recommend making revision resources as you go along because it saves so much time when it comes to your actual thing (i spent all of my summer before y11 making flashcards for history- omd such a massive help)
last tip! do not stress and pleaseee just have fun. obviously the ratio between focus and fun alternates depending on your academic ability, but your attitude to learning in year 10 does not have much long term repercussions. focus and make sure you understand all topics and do not fall behind on your learning.

got mostly nines - 8 9's and I would really recommend just listening in lessons and practicing active recall there is no need to go home and revise unless you have a topic test coming up
Original post by dontspellicup

year 10 for me was a year of pure jokes, although i did try hard in the core subject topic tests (extras like rs and classics i was not fussed). we had year 10 mocks in my school, and i worked myself to the BONE revising for them to the point that i made myself grievously ill and ended up doing awful in most of them (top tip! dont do this lmao those tests dont matter i ended up getting 6s in most exams because i was practically a corpse whilst i did them). my advice would be to revise a healthy amount for any "important" tests eg mocks because whilst they mean nothing theyre vital in terms of preparing you for the actual exams. muck about in lessons, have fun all you want, but for the end of year tests buckle down and try because its so unbelievably helpful for you in the long run. for content heavy subjects eg history and english id recommend making revision resources as you go along because it saves so much time when it comes to your actual thing (i spent all of my summer before y11 making flashcards for history- omd such a massive help)
last tip! do not stress and pleaseee just have fun. obviously the ratio between focus and fun alternates depending on your academic ability, but your attitude to learning in year 10 does not have much long term repercussions. focus and make sure you understand all topics and do not fall behind on your learning.

Thanks a lot! What kind of revision things do you think I should make for English along the way?
Original post by Lebkuchen

got mostly nines - 8 9's and I would really recommend just listening in lessons and practicing active recall there is no need to go home and revise unless you have a topic test coming up

Thanks, yeah that's what I'm probably going to do.
Thanks a lot! What kind of revision things do you think I should make for English along the way?

it depends on what works for you but my preferred method was (for books and plays) to do character mind maps (i did j+h and inspector calls so if you want them lmk :smile: ). i’d have a topic sentence and draw lines out of quotes for that topic sentence with some relevant ao3. for poetry memorise KEY quotes and i did a table of poems and possible comparisons that can be made (again, happy to share this doc!) essay plans are very helpful as well, and i’d recommend getting your teacher to read over them to check you’re on the right lines
The only revision in y10 I did was for end of year mocks mostly cramming . Then in y11 did a cram for first set of mocks, was burnt out most of the year from other stuff so just focused on working hard in lessons. Then by Easter I kinda gave up on lessons too I tried but I was just so tired (idk how I was burnt out I was actually so lazy). Then for GCSEs I pretty much crammed the night before/morning of apart from history where I did about three cram sessions per paper , and a couple subjects that I didn’t revise for .

I agree with everything said above , mainly in y10 the focus is on working hard in lessons(my main “revision” since you recap everything multiple times at gcse) and revising well for end of topic tests/end of year mocks . I think it’s not too difficult to get 9s at gcse but some people can rely on memory/essay skills and coast through with minimal revision whereas some people have to work hard because they’re worse at remembering things naturally. You kind of have to figure out how good your memory is and tailor your amount of effort to that. If it’s really good, you can rely mostly on working hard in class, exam technique practice and a little cramming . If it’s not, you just increase the amount of memorisation type revision you do . But this is all y11 stuff. Just chill in y10. In y11 you’ll feel like you’re working harder than ever at school, then you’ll start a levels and realise just how easy gcses are and what homework actually is lol.

Quick Reply

Latest