The Student Room Group

a level

hi, I've just finished my first year of college and it was a rough one. I failed miserably and now I'm being asked to consider moving to applied science but I really don't know whether I should or not. is it possible for me to improve in year 13 before my actual exams and if so how or should i switch one of my courses to applied science. i do biology chemistry and psychology.
Reply 1
If you have a uni course in mind that only accepts pure chem or biology, DO. NOT. SWITCH. Study your a** off, retake year 12, but do not switch. You're going to derail your entire potential university career if you do.

You definitely can improve but its going to be fairly difficult because you'll have to keep on top of your year 13 content and go back and revise year 12 at the same time to make sure you don't have to learn it all again right before exams.

My best advice is to retake year 12. This is so common if you think you could do it better the second time around. One year is nothing compared to a potential lifetime of better jobs and money.

Reply if you need any help and good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by ziggy03
If you have a uni course in mind that only accepts pure chem or biology, DO. NOT. SWITCH. Study your a** off, retake year 12, but do not switch. You're going to derail your entire potential university career if you do.

You definitely can improve but its going to be fairly difficult because you'll have to keep on top of your year 13 content and go back and revise year 12 at the same time to make sure you don't have to learn it all again right before exams.

My best advice is to retake year 12. This is so common if you think you could do it better the second time around. One year is nothing compared to a potential lifetime of better jobs and money.

Reply if you need any help and good luck!!

Thank you so much. I would retake year 12 if I could but the thing is my parents aren't on board with this idea and would rather me keep my subjects then switching. I love my subjects and I would love to improve but I don't know how. I've asked so many people on my classes who are acheiveing A*s and As how they do it but most of them just say "I don't revise". If you have any tips on learning subject content and answering exam questions that would be really helpful
I'm sorry to hear this. The people at my 6th form who get As and A*s do work hard and use most/all of their free study periods productively. Perhaps you need to review your study technique. Everyone essentially learns the same content but we have different teachers and revision methods.

I study Physics (one of my A-levels) and I didn't personally feel that the way one of my teachers taught worked for me. I found YouTube videos really helpful and it's good after a lesson to go over what you have just learned to really understand it. I find that if I understand something you either remember it or easily can brush up on the content if it slips out of your mind.

Perhaps your revision technique needs some attention. After a lesson (or during the week), I make Quizlet flashcards on the topic and Physics and Maths Tutor resources are really helpful (not just for Physics and Maths - Chemistry, Biology etc). Once you know and understand the content, you can then practice questions. Any questions you get wrong, make a note of them in an organised way. Make sure you understand the right answer. Put the questions you got wrong on flashcards etc. Then try and regularly go over topics so you keep them fresh in your mind.

In summary, make sure that during a lesson you understand the material. Review the material by watching a YouTube video and making flashcards on the topic/summary notes. Test yourself with the flashcards until you know and understand the content. Practice questions and make a note of questions you got wrong. Review flashcards regularly.

Hope it works out for you. This is just some advice that seems to work for me. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by DFLETCH22
I'm sorry to hear this. The people at my 6th form who get As and A*s do work hard and use most/all of their free study periods productively. Perhaps you need to review your study technique. Everyone essentially learns the same content but we have different teachers and revision methods.

I study Physics (one of my A-levels) and I didn't personally feel that the way one of my teachers taught worked for me. I found YouTube videos really helpful and it's good after a lesson to go over what you have just learned to really understand it. I find that if I understand something you either remember it or easily can brush up on the content if it slips out of your mind.

Perhaps your revision technique needs some attention. After a lesson (or during the week), I make Quizlet flashcards on the topic and Physics and Maths Tutor resources are really helpful (not just for Physics and Maths - Chemistry, Biology etc). Once you know and understand the content, you can then practice questions. Any questions you get wrong, make a note of them in an organised way. Make sure you understand the right answer. Put the questions you got wrong on flashcards etc. Then try and regularly go over topics so you keep them fresh in your mind.

In summary, make sure that during a lesson you understand the material. Review the material by watching a YouTube video and making flashcards on the topic/summary notes. Test yourself with the flashcards until you know and understand the content. Practice questions and make a note of questions you got wrong. Review flashcards regularly.

Hope it works out for you. This is just some advice that seems to work for me. Good luck!

Thank youuuu ill try doing that :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by deadbraincell
Thank you so much. I would retake year 12 if I could but the thing is my parents aren't on board with this idea and would rather me keep my subjects then switching. I love my subjects and I would love to improve but I don't know how. I've asked so many people on my classes who are acheiveing A*s and As how they do it but most of them just say "I don't revise". If you have any tips on learning subject content and answering exam questions that would be really helpful

try to exlain to your parents that retaking a year of college is pretty normal and there is essentially no stigma around it, especially when it comes to university applictions,

I'd say get online and download as many practice questions as you can. Learn the style of the questions and what kind of detail they're looking for. People who get top grades always do revise and if they say they don't they're lying.
Reply 6
Okay thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest