The Student Room Group

Training contracts

Hey, was wondering if anyone knows any tips on how to best prepare for a training contract interview?
Original post by emilyrosecxnnor
Hey, was wondering if anyone knows any tips on how to best prepare for a training contract interview?

Hi Emily,

Great question! I have set out some of my best tips below:

- properly research the firm! Its also good to keep up to date with the firms linked in and recent news stories
- research the interviewer on linked in and the website so you know who they are and exactly what their job in the firm is
- message trainees/employees at the firm to ask for advice, tips and what their interview was like (also firms really like this as it shows genuine initiative and interest)
- practice! If you are at uni currently then you could speak to the employability team to do practice interviews or if not then just practicing with family members/friends is really helpful
- try to stay calm and be yourself! One thing about TC interviews is that the interviewer will see straight through you if you are talking about something that you have little knowledge of (basically something you don't really know about!) so be transparent and honest. Interviewers know that interviews can be stressful and you are under pressure so don't worry about being perfect
- prepare a couple of questions for the end of the interview (this could be something about the firm or perhaps the interviewers personal journey into law)

I hope this helps and good luck!

Kate (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending