The Student Room Group

Can I still apply for extenuating circumstances?

My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer (around 5 months ago) and she recently said to me that ‘worst case scenario’ she would be dead before my 18th birthday (August).

This has had a huge impact on my mental health during my A levels and my ability to concentrate.

I have been scared to tell my school about my situation; my tutor does know, however, she has never mentioned that I’d be eligible for extenuating circumstances, and because she has never suggested it, I’m scared to ask about it.

What do you think I should do?
I think u should apply. U mite not get much but it’s worth a shot. Sending u massive hugs and I’m sorry ur having such a rough time
Original post by Anonymous
My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer (around 5 months ago) and she recently said to me that ‘worst case scenario’ she would be dead before my 18th birthday (August).

This has had a huge impact on my mental health during my A levels and my ability to concentrate.

I have been scared to tell my school about my situation; my tutor does know, however, she has never mentioned that I’d be eligible for extenuating circumstances, and because she has never suggested it, I’m scared to ask about it.

What do you think I should do?

Hi, sorry to hear about your mum.
I think it best to have another chat with your tutor and explain how concerned you are. And ask the question about extenuating circumstances. The worst that can happen is you are not eligible. However, having extra time will help relieve your anxiety and improve your mental health. Everyone needs help at some points in life and, in general, people feel good when they are able to help others too.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you for all of your support.

But can I still apply? I’ve only got 1 a level exam left.

I know I should have applied earlier; however, I didn’t even know extenuating circumstances was a thing.
Reply 4
Anyone know how I can apply for extenuating circumstances?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending