The Student Room Group

psychology bachelor

Shiuld i do psychology bachelors degree if i hate essays and coursework
Reply 1
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy

No, although it would also rule out nearly every other degree i know of. So maybe just save your money and get a book.

Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a second-year psychology student.

It honestly depends to what university you go to! In Cardiff, the psychology degree is both coursework and exams, although I understand that some other universities test students using exams only. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get away much from essay-work. It's often used for both coursework and exams. On the plus side, here at Cardiff I don't do as much essays as I thought I would - it's definitely a lot less than what you do at sixth-form! I would say I do one or two essays per semester, and one essay per exam. It's not too bad, in my opinion.

Hope that helped!

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a second-year psychology student.

How are you finding your degree? Is it too hard to find jobs? What job are you currently doing? Thanks!!
Original post by ThyNDS
How are you finding your degree? Is it too hard to find jobs? What job are you currently doing? Thanks!!

Hi! So the degree is great, its so interesting and there's a good balance between coursework and exams.
What do you mean by jobs? So if you're talking about student jobs while you study, there's usually a lot of opportunities affiliated with the university :smile: But if you're referring to future jobs within the psychology field, I can't really say as of now, though there are a lot of volunteering opportunities! If it helps, I'm doing a placement year next year and while it does get quite competitive - it's not impossible - there were loads of NHS psychology placement opportunities advertised for students at my university this year :smile:

I hope that helped!
- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hi! So the degree is great, its so interesting and there's a good balance between coursework and exams.
What do you mean by jobs? So if you're talking about student jobs while you study, there's usually a lot of opportunities affiliated with the university :smile: But if you're referring to future jobs within the psychology field, I can't really say as of now, though there are a lot of volunteering opportunities! If it helps, I'm doing a placement year next year and while it does get quite competitive - it's not impossible - there were loads of NHS psychology placement opportunities advertised for students at my university this year :smile:

I hope that helped!

my uni unfortunately does not have a placement year, so I think I may lack skills compared to candidates who have placement years.

Hi @ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy!

I am currently studying my Masters in Social Psychology but finished by undergraduate degree in psychology just last year.

At the University of Surrey they use a variety of assessment methods including research reports, proposals, posters, presentations, creating videos, exams and some essays. While essays can seem like a lot of writing and don't suit everyone, Surrey holds tutorials throughout your first and second year to help you develop your academic skills, such as referencing, critically evaluating research, and writing essays.

The University also has an Academic Skills and Development team who advice to all students using online guides and resources as well as learning development workshops.

I would advise you to look at how the psychology is assessed for the universities you may be considering as it is likely to be different at each one!

I hope this helps with your decision and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Best,

Olivia (she/her)
MSc Social Psychology
Original post by ThyNDS
my uni unfortunately does not have a placement year, so I think I may lack skills compared to candidates who have placement years.

That's totally fine to be honest, there's a lot of great universities out there that don't do placement year, and quite a few students from my year group this year dropped out of doing placement. I think the most important thing is getting as much experience as you can - doing support volunteering roles can still boost you a lot! Some examples could be volunteering for mental health call centres, such as Samaritans, for example.

hello friend, you can do the degree no need of stressing yourself with writing essays am here to help you complete your essays. thank you
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan Dycan
hello friend, you can do the degree no need of stressing yourself with writing essays am here to help you complete your essays. thank you

If your essay skills are on a par with what you have just written, it would be more efficient for the OP to not bother going to uni at all and instead just send off the full finance to you. Either way they will come out with nothing.
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi @ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy,

I am going into my final year of university at Kent studying Psychology. I just finished my placement year working in child psychological services with the NHS and I loved it!

We are assessed during our degree in different ways. In my first year we had essays, a group research project, short answer questions and exams. It is quite tricky to escape exams and essays completely at University. In my second year I did a research proposal, group presentation, and in my final year I am looking forward to short answer questions, group presentations as well as the freedom that comes with the essay questions. Throughout university in some modules we get a choice of which question we answer which really helps when it comes to writing. In my placement year, I completed a reflective diary and research project which I enjoyed so much. It helped me discover my passion for pursuing a career in research. If you wanted a break from coursework and exams during your university years I would recommend a placement year/year in industry. They allow you to immerse yourself in the working world, applying and learning new skills as well as take a year out from exams!

When looking at universities I would recommend going to the open days/applicant days and talking to students and staff about the assessments. I would also suggest reading the modules offered in each stage of study and check out how the modules are assessed as this might vary between universities. Using a table to track this might help. For example, I know that I perform better in my coursework than I do in exams so I made sure I had a good amount of coursework I could do when choosing my final year modules.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions let me know!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest