The Student Room Group

creative thinking

Does having friends from different courses at university help with creativity? for example someone from physics, maths and computer science. I have seen a few groups who do that. What about diversity in terms of background?
Reply 1
Original post by username45313
Does having friends from different courses at university help with creativity? for example someone from physics, maths and computer science. I have seen a few groups who do that. What about diversity in terms of background?

From my own experience, it does! I'm on a graphic design course and the problem with creativity there is that my friends on that course only see it from a graphics point of view but when I ask my friends doing science or English, they have wild ideas from outside my field and it helps so much! Not to mention that you get different experiences and crazy stories. Our group is pretty diverse in background. A few of us are neurodiverse, some of us are from poorer backgrounds then you've got the ones travelling all over the world each summer, and different levels of qualifications, ethnicities and nationalities. It's great for creativity and cultural stuff too.

We all met in a dungeons and dragons campaign and it was the best thing I did because I found I got along a lot better with them than the group i made purely of course friends because sometimes, it feels like you're all in competition with each other and no one always wants to share ideas. However, it's just my experience but I've found I have way better pictures when I'm surrounded by my friends from different courses :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending