The Student Room Group

Civil engineering

I am thinking of switching from aerospace engineering to civil engineering. I have a question do you have to be creative in order to do civil engineering? I can so basic sketching and drawing
It depends what you mean by “creative” , it can be a positive with regards to problem solving in certain applications. No you don’t need to be artistically creative - that would be more architecture.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
It depends what you mean by “creative” , it can be a positive with regards to problem solving in certain applications. No you don’t need to be artistically creative - that would be more architecture.

I meant creative as in artistic. But thanks for the information.
Original post by taroobk
I meant creative as in artistic. But thanks for the information.

No artistic creativity is required for engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by taroobk
I am thinking of switching from aerospace engineering to civil engineering. I have a question do you have to be creative in order to do civil engineering? I can so basic sketching and drawing

No sketching and drawing skills required. I did Civil Engineering at UCL, albeit many years ago.
Hi there,

It's great that you can do some sketching. That will be really useful for this degree.

In terms of creativity - this is an ambiguous question. There is some level of creativity in all designing however you do not need to be an amazing artist or be able to come up with anything extraordinary for such. You just need to be able to come up with designs you can justify, analyse and present in an appropriate way. In my time in civil engineering, I have had to come up with some roof designs or floor structures which you could argue requires a level of creativity but it is different from architecture where an artistic ability would be recommended. You'll also be taught sketching techniques etc so you don't need to be an expert on such.

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

It's great that you can do some sketching. That will be really useful for this degree.

In terms of creativity - this is an ambiguous question. There is some level of creativity in all designing however you do not need to be an amazing artist or be able to come up with anything extraordinary for such. You just need to be able to come up with designs you can justify, analyse and present in an appropriate way. In my time in civil engineering, I have had to come up with some roof designs or floor structures which you could argue requires a level of creativity but it is different from architecture where an artistic ability would be recommended. You'll also be taught sketching techniques etc so you don't need to be an expert on such.

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest