The Student Room Group

Creative Writing (Poetry) Portfolio tips needed!

Hi! I'm a 2nd year student at Uni of Nottingham doing English with Creative Writing. I would like to hear how people with 68+ (high 2:1 and 1st) produce their writing portfolio.

My process as of now is just to add a bunch of poems I already wrote during the year and just put them together. If that's not enough, I write some on the spot. But I feel like it needs to be more intentional than that.

Could anyone share their tips and their process as creative writing is often overlooked in these conversations?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
BOOST: still looking for help
Original post by NestleCrunch
Hi! I'm a 2nd year student at Uni of Nottingham doing English with Creative Writing. I would like to hear how people with 68+ (high 2:1 and 1st) produce their writing portfolio.

My process as of now is just to add a bunch of poems I already wrote during the year and just put them together. If that's not enough, I write some on the spot. But I feel like it needs to be more intentional than that.

Could anyone share their tips and their process as creative writing is often overlooked in these conversations?

Thanks! :smile:

Hi,
Fellow writer here. I totally agree that creative writing is always so overlooked.
To be honest, I don't know how much help this would be, but I definitely understand your problem. When I was applying for my Uni course, I had to submit a portfolio and I choose five poems which I had written for a separate thing. And now, I'm also planning to submit a collection of poems for one of my modules and I currently have a few poems all with the same subject, but I will definitely be adding to it in the next couple of months.
In terms of these portfolios, I think it depends if they have a shared theme or a lenght specification, but as long as it's your original work, I think it's perfectly fine to submit something that you have already prepared, and then add on if need be.
Hope this helps and keep on writing,
Milena 🙂
MA in Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending