The Student Room Group

I can't find enough courses to fill up the 5 university mark

Hi guys I'm interested in the creative computing courses as the course looks super interesting to me. However only one university that fits my "standards" (Leicester) is good. However I want to fill up the 5 universities limit.

What courses can I pick that are similar to it so I can make a personal statement that is relevant whilst minimizing my chances of risk

Thank you guys in advance

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I recommend having a look at Coventry University, although I'm not too sure if we offer a course on creative computing. However I will provide you a link, which will take you to our Course Search, Coventry University page. The average entry requirement are usually a BBB and they also facilitate applicants on a scheme called the Turing Scheme (although this wouldn't apply to all applicants, it mainly depends on whether the applicants fulfil enough criteria's to be eligible for the Turing Scheme), which lowers your entry requirements from BBB to CCC as an example.

Course Search Coventry University Website: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/search/?search=&contentType=newcoursepage

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Hey! I was in your boat last year. I remember crying in my bedroom because I’d only found two places I wanted to apply. My advice to you is to just apply to the subjects that you want, don’t apply to random other things just because you want to fill up the five places. I only applied to two, got into both and now I’m doing my dream course at uni.

If you still want to apply to more unis though than just the one then I’d say maybe broaden your search a bit and look at courses maybe in game design or just standard computing and see if any of them take your fancy, sometimes it’s good to broaden the net a bit.

This course in computer design might take your fancy: https://www.abertay.ac.uk/course-search/undergraduate/computer-arts/ . Even if it doesn’t, that’s ok too.

Basically what I’m trying to say is look at other similar courses but if you don’t like anything then just don’t feel pressurised into applying for a degree you don’t want to do. Do what makes you happy.
Reply 3
Original post by bananasplit20
Hey! I was in your boat last year. I remember crying in my bedroom because I’d only found two places I wanted to apply. My advice to you is to just apply to the subjects that you want, don’t apply to random other things just because you want to fill up the five places. I only applied to two, got into both and now I’m doing my dream course at uni.

If you still want to apply to more unis though than just the one then I’d say maybe broaden your search a bit and look at courses maybe in game design or just standard computing and see if any of them take your fancy, sometimes it’s good to broaden the net a bit.

This course in computer design might take your fancy: https://www.abertay.ac.uk/course-search/undergraduate/computer-arts/ . Even if it doesn’t, that’s ok too.

Basically what I’m trying to say is look at other similar courses but if you don’t like anything then just don’t feel pressurised into applying for a degree you don’t want to do. Do what makes you happy.

Thanks for this!!! It's just that with some of the other courses I could apply but they are Portsmouth, and University for the Creative Arts. Idk if it's a good idea to go with them due to their lower rankings.
A quick search for creative computing brings up these options:
UAL and Bath Spa also do courses

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=creative+computing&c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by totallyfine
A quick search for creative computing brings up these options:
UAL and Bath Spa also do courses

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=creative+computing&c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023

Yes I know these but they aren't really unis I'd like to attend to, I think I might just fill up the extra spaces with software engineering, what do you think?
You should only apply for courses you want to go to not just filling places. The kind of course you are looking at is not going to be offered at leading universities as they offer more academic courses.
Reply 7
Original post by Clivierx
Yes I know these but they aren't really unis I'd like to attend to, I think I might just fill up the extra spaces with software engineering, what do you think?

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/creative-computing-degree-bsc

You can add choices later so just apply for a couple now.
If creative computing is what you want to do then only put those down and keep researching the places that do it from the list I posted. Its really good that you have a clear idea of the sort of place you want to study and just check in case you are missing any or go to open days to see for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/creative-computing-degree-bsc

You can add choices later so just apply for a couple now.

Unfortunately this course is not in the main campus :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by totallyfine
If creative computing is what you want to do then only put those down and keep researching the places that do it from the list I posted. Its really good that you have a clear idea of the sort of place you want to study and just check in case you are missing any or go to open days to see for yourself.

Thanks!!
Unfortunately this course is not in the main campus :frown:

Winchester is a fine place to study...
I would agree about Winchester and it is close to Southampton with good transport links.
Reply 13
Winchester is a fine place to study...

Is it the same as the main campus?
Is it the same as the main campus?

What does that matter? WInchester is another campus in a llovely town with great transport linke. Many people prefer being here rather than Southampton itself.
Thanks for this!!! It's just that with some of the other courses I could apply but they are Portsmouth, and University for the Creative Arts. Idk if it's a good idea to go with them due to their lower rankings.

Honestly, there’s a university for everyone. Many of the ‘lower ranked’ universities have better facilities and excel at specific subjects. For example, the creative arts uni will definitely have better facilities for creative computing because that’s what it’s geared up for (being creative). My advice would be to just do some research and look at the courses. If they look interesting and you think you might like them (irrespective of ranking), then go do it! Your enjoyment at uni is the most important thing. Lots of universities have online/in person open days so definitely take a look at those as they’ll help you get a better idea.

Remember though, if you don’t like the course don’t feel pressured to apply. But if you like the other two then go for it, because you can always choose more in detail where you study later and the offers come in.
Reply 17
What does that matter? WInchester is another campus in a llovely town with great transport linke. Many people prefer being here rather than Southampton itself.

You're right, I think I was bieng too biased, I think I might go do an open day and see how it is, thanks so much for this!
Reply 18
Original post by bananasplit20
Honestly, there’s a university for everyone. Many of the ‘lower ranked’ universities have better facilities and excel at specific subjects. For example, the creative arts uni will definitely have better facilities for creative computing because that’s what it’s geared up for (being creative). My advice would be to just do some research and look at the courses. If they look interesting and you think you might like them (irrespective of ranking), then go do it! Your enjoyment at uni is the most important thing. Lots of universities have online/in person open days so definitely take a look at those as they’ll help you get a better idea.

Remember though, if you don’t like the course don’t feel pressured to apply. But if you like the other two then go for it, because you can always choose more in detail where you study later and the offers come in.

Yes exactly!! I will definetlygo ahead and do this, what's the one where you can go outisde of tour dates and pay a visit any day I think it's called self guided or something like that? Think it's worth a shot?

Also, I feel like this course is the closest I've felt to being good for me but I am not 100% sure that I'd like it as per any other course I'd choose. Could I always change courses to other unis, if so how would that work logistically and in terms of funding?

I appreciate your kind help, this community is epic :smile:
Reply 19
Yes I know these but they aren't really unis I'd like to attend

Why on earth not - both are good Unis for 'creative subjects'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending