The Student Room Group

Help with uni

I’m in my first year of uni(university of Portsmouth)and studying maths.I’ve just had exams and unfortunately didn’t put in the work and also my mental health hasn’t been that well either.There was 6 modules and I passed 2.I have to redo exams for 3 of them and one coursework.I don’t think I’ll be able to do it in time and I’d rather retake the year.
The 2nd retake exams are in July, I was wondering if I’d be able to just ask the module coordinator if I can redo the year(and do you think they will allow this?). I have extenuating circumstances for 2 of the exams and 1 of them I failed.I was also wondering if I’d be able to get student finance for my retake year?(this is a 3 year course).
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my first year of uni(university of Portsmouth)and studying maths.I’ve just had exams and unfortunately didn’t put in the work and also my mental health hasn’t been that well either.There was 6 modules and I passed 2.I have to redo exams for 3 of them and one coursework.I don’t think I’ll be able to do it in time and I’d rather retake the year.
The 2nd retake exams are in July, I was wondering if I’d be able to just ask the module coordinator if I can redo the year(and do you think they will allow this?). I have extenuating circumstances for 2 of the exams and 1 of them I failed.I was also wondering if I’d be able to get student finance for my retake year?(this is a 3 year course).

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive the results you wanted. I have a friend who retook a year for the same subject they were studying and was able to get student finance, although you might need to check the government guidelines for this. I don't see why you should not be able to speak to the module coordinator, explain your situation and ask for an extension. The worst they could say is no. Do you have an academic tutor you could arrange a meeting with? At my university, they are most likely to be the person I could speak to about my options and act as a support for my choices.

Good luck to you over the summer and I hope you get your desired outcome.

Rachel - YSJ student rep
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive the results you wanted. I have a friend who retook a year for the same subject they were studying and was able to get student finance, although you might need to check the government guidelines for this. I don't see why you should not be able to speak to the module coordinator, explain your situation and ask for an extension. The worst they could say is no. Do you have an academic tutor you could arrange a meeting with? At my university, they are most likely to be the person I could speak to about my options and act as a support for my choices.

Good luck to you over the summer and I hope you get your desired outcome.

Rachel - YSJ student rep

Thank you for the reply, I was really worried about what to do…I think I’ll arrange a meeting I do have a personal tutor.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the reply, I was really worried about what to do…I think I’ll arrange a meeting I do have a personal tutor.

That's okay, I really hope it works out for you. Good luck with your meeting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending