The Student Room Group

Does houskeeping count as medical work experience?

Want to apply for graduate entry medicine and need a part time job - will housekeeping in a hospital be enough patient contact to count as work experience for medical school?
(edited 10 months ago)
(Moved to the medicine subforum)

Unis will usually specify what constitutes valid work exp on their websites. It might say that it needs to be tending directly to a person's medical needs for example.
Original post by monkeh2
Want to apply for graduate entry medicine and need a part time job - will housekeeping in a hospital be enough patient contact to count as work experience for medical school?

I've worked as a HCA in a hospital and from what i've seen, the housekeeping staff don't interact with patients very often. HCA's and housekeeping staff normally have similar requirements so it might be better to apply to a HCA role. You'll have much more contact with patients and will feel more included in the MDT as well, so you'll be able to talk to different types of healthcare professionals, including doctors. You'll also have a lot more to talk about at interview that you can reflect on.
Reply 3
Not as patient contact, no. You’ll learn somethings that are transferable but nothing you couldn’t equally learn as a cleaner in a school or an office for the most part.

Rule of thumb: if Warwick wouldn’t accept it, you’re probably on the wrong track. They have the most stringent work experience requirements of any GEM course from what I’ve seen. Use their requirements as a benchmark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending