The Student Room Group

University of Oxford 2024 Undergraduate Applicants Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PAT_22
I unfortunately cannot open the apparently restricted spreadsheet?! :/

That’s a shame, I see what you mean as I can’t access it anymore either.

Basically there was a data input form for you to enter course, college applied to, if you had any written work or assessment test requirement as part of you application, home or international applicant, then date and time when you received a response, and if you had an interview or were rejected. The data form then fed into the overall tracker spreadsheet, so applicants could see when the different colleges and departments were emailing responses. The dates and times for this tends to vary from college to college, and for each subject, so some people from some colleges heard much sooner than others who had applied for the same subject but had applied to/been allocated a different college.
The same data form filling process was used for recording how applicants rated their performance at their interviews, and subsequent actual outcome results in January, but of course this only reflects input data from those applicants on TSR who opted to complete the form.

As you can see from these snapshots of the 2021 spreadsheet, some people didn’t complete the form until several days after they received a response, hence the different dates.
IMG_8345.jpegIMG_8346.jpeg
(edited 9 months ago)
heyyy future oxford peeps..ik that alevels/IB etc. and just applying to uni in general is like soo much to think about and just lots of things going on and ik that when i was applying I had like soo many questions that I wish someone could've answered so for any potential biology applicants feel free to pop me a line be it questions about the course (the uni page is woefully cryptic in describing what we actually do!) or PS help or just anythinggggg even stuff like colleges and choosing (we're all biased to our own colleges lol) etc.. no questions a stupid, I know!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Bookworm_88
heyyy future oxford peeps..ik that alevels/IB etc. and just applying to uni in general is like soo much to think about and just lots of things going on and ik that when i was applying I had like soo many questions that I wish someone could've answered so for any potential biology applicants feel free to pop me a line be it questions about the course (the uni page is woefully cryptic in describing what we actually do!) or PS help or just anythinggggg even stuff like colleges and choosing (we're all biased to our own colleges lol) etc.. no questions a stupid, I know!

It will be great to have you giving advice on the thread Bookworm.How is it going at Magdalen and Oxford in general! .

Is it okay to PM if I'm not a biology applicant specifically but just a potential applicant in general?

Good to hear from you Bookworm, I do remember you, and great that you can provide advice from a current student’s perspective of the whole process. How’s it all going for you so far?
Original post by closetarchivist
Is it okay to PM if I'm not a biology applicant specifically but just a potential applicant in general?

yessss..honestly anything about oxford in general!! I'm more than happy to answer allllllll of your questions :smile:)
Original post by Scotney
It will be great to have you giving advice on the thread Bookworm.How is it going at Magdalen and Oxford in general! .

Original post by Crafty Mum
Good to hear from you Bookworm, I do remember you, and great that you can provide advice from a current student’s perspective of the whole process. How’s it all going for you so far?

Thanks guys! Honestly what can I say..work hard, play hard sort of thing really! Although they may work us like anything, it just makes the time I have going out with friends, or at bops more special I guess, in a weird sort of way. Trinity term is just so fun, just had a commemeration ball which was amazingggg..love punting, it's great fun (hate exams tho lol) argh it's just great, even if I have to work like anything!
Reply 47
Thanks guys! Honestly what can I say..work hard, play hard sort of thing really! Although they may work us like anything, it just makes the time I have going out with friends, or at bops more special I guess, in a weird sort of way. Trinity term is just so fun, just had a commemeration ball which was amazingggg..love punting, it's great fun (hate exams tho lol) argh it's just great, even if I have to work like anything!

Long holidays help though!Glad all is going well.
Reply 48
Hi I wanted to ask about whether I should reapply or not! This would be for law, probably at Somerville and I got rejected after interview by Exeter last year.

I went to a private school and got my ib results back last week (a 39 and 766 at hl although I'm appealing to try and get another core point so it might be 40), they weren't as good as my predicted/ as good as I though I could have done. I've had some ongoing health problems (and more showed up during my last year of school), but am not sure how much of a difference that would make to medicore ish grades. I really love law (I like words and meanings but not really in a studying English way and looking at how the law is/isn't used), and when I walked round Somerville on the open day, I really liked that too, but I know that realistically, unless I could smash the lnat/ interview I wouldn't get in.

My school haven't been particularly helpful in saying one thing or another, and I've had mixed messages from teachers about whether I should reapply or not, with the law advisor saying I should and one of the he people being less enthusiastic (this was before I got my grades back)

Essentially I think I'm asking if it would be at all possible to get in!
Reply 49
Original post by Emmie85
Hi I wanted to ask about whether I should reapply or not! This would be for law, probably at Somerville and I got rejected after interview by Exeter last year.

I went to a private school and got my ib results back last week (a 39 and 766 at hl although I'm appealing to try and get another core point so it might be 40), they weren't as good as my predicted/ as good as I though I could have done. I've had some ongoing health problems (and more showed up during my last year of school), but am not sure how much of a difference that would make to medicore ish grades. I really love law (I like words and meanings but not really in a studying English way and looking at how the law is/isn't used), and when I walked round Somerville on the open day, I really liked that too, but I know that realistically, unless I could smash the lnat/ interview I wouldn't get in.

My school haven't been particularly helpful in saying one thing or another, and I've had mixed messages from teachers about whether I should reapply or not, with the law advisor saying I should and one of the he people being less enthusiastic (this was before I got my grades back)

I am a successful reapplicant to Oxford, albeit for chemistry.

It absolutely is possible to get into Oxford if you reapply, though statistically you are less likely to get in than on your first attempt.

First and foremost, did you request admissions feedback from the last admissions cycle? If so, then great, you can infer what did and didn’t go well and you can focus your preparation on those areas. If not, then you have to assume that it wasn’t one particular area that went wrong and you may wish to start preparing asap to give yourself the most time possible to cover every little detail.

You will need to ask your school very nicely if they can write you a reference and, in fact I would go further and recommend you ask them nicely if you can use their buzzword to link your UCAS to.

As for things to boost your chances of getting in, have regular discussions with others about law with people who know relatively little about it compared to yourself. That way, you get practice with thinking out loud and articulating your thoughts. I’d also suggest joining a debate club and reading some parts of relevant first year undergraduate textbooks etc.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 50
Original post by TypicalNerd
I am a successful reapplicant to Oxford, albeit for chemistry.

It absolutely is possible to get into Oxford if you reapply, though statistically you are less likely to get in than on your first attempt.

First and foremost, did you request admissions feedback from the last admissions cycle? If so, then great, you can infer what did and didn’t go well and you can focus your preparation on those areas. If not, then you have to assume that it wasn’t one particular area that went wrong and you may wish to start preparing asap to give yourself the most time possible to cover every little detail.

You will need to ask your school very nicely if they can write you a reference and, in fact I would go further and recommend you ask them nicely if you can use their buzzword to link your UCAS to.

As for things to boost your chances of getting in, have regular discussions with others about law with people who know relatively little about it compared to yourself. That way, you get practice with thinking out loud and articulating your thoughts. I’d also suggest joining a debate club and reading some parts of relevant first year undergraduate textbooks etc.

Ok, thank you for the advice! the feedback wasn't specific at all, but I know my LNAT score and interview could have gone better so I'm going have to work on those if I decide to reapply. My school have said that I can use the UCAS buzzword if I decide to reapply, so that should help.
Reply 51
Original post by Emmie85

What makes you think you would fare any better next time?Have you or will you have any relevant extra experience or supercurriculars to offer How do your IB results sit against the regular offer?
Reply 52
Original post by Scotney
What makes you think you would fare any better next time?Have you or will you have any relevant extra experience or supercurriculars to offer How do your IB results sit against the regular offer?

My results are just above the entry requirements, at a 766 and 39 (the entry requirements are a 38 and 666), I had quite a lot of super curricular things that I wasn't able to mention last year most due to a lack of space to include them and I've been regularly reading law books (mostly the very short introduction books on different areas of law through the end of upper sixth)/ following legal news so I think I've got enough to talk about for another personal statement. I also was able to spend quite a lot of time last year working on a project within school about the law of war and peacebuilding (and how the law is' isn't used to solve conflicts or rebuild after one), which I would probably talk about a fair amount in my personal statement

In terms of why I think I could fare better, I know I can score higher in the LNAT, and had been scoring higher in practice exams than I did on the day and I panicked a bit in the interview, which meant I know my answers weren't as good as they could have been. Generally, I think I was a bit unsure of myself and feel more confident now compared to how I was last year. I'm also quite aware that I probably won't fair any better next time, but I can't quite get the idea of trying again out my head!
Reply 53
Original post by Emmie85
My results are just above the entry requirements, at a 766 and 39 (the entry requirements are a 38 and 666), I had quite a lot of super curricular things that I wasn't able to mention last year most due to a lack of space to include them and I've been regularly reading law books (mostly the very short introduction books on different areas of law through the end of upper sixth)/ following legal news so I think I've got enough to talk about for another personal statement. I also was able to spend quite a lot of time last year working on a project within school about the law of war and peacebuilding (and how the law is' isn't used to solve conflicts or rebuild after one), which I would probably talk about a fair amount in my personal statement

In terms of why I think I could fare better, I know I can score higher in the LNAT, and had been scoring higher in practice exams than I did on the day and I panicked a bit in the interview, which meant I know my answers weren't as good as they could have been. Generally, I think I was a bit unsure of myself and feel more confident now compared to how I was last year. I'm also quite aware that I probably won't fair any better next time, but I can't quite get the idea of trying again out my head!

Ok no harm in trying again but some work experience would be good,even in a local solicitors office.I would urge you though to thoroughly look at other unis and go to open days so you have a insurance uni you will be happy with if Oxford does not work out.
I would suggest you get some interview practice. sorted out too.
Reply 54
Original post by Scotney
Ok no harm in trying again but some work experience would be good,even in a local solicitors office.I would urge you though to thoroughly look at other unis and go to open days so you have a insurance uni you will be happy with if Oxford does not work out.
I would suggest you get some interview practice. sorted out too.

Agreed. Work experience, whilst not expected of all degrees at Oxford, is perhaps a very sensible thing to go for with a law degree. It may be worth emailing a local chamber of commerce to see if they have any contacts with any companies offering work experience relevant to law if you can’t find any opportunities in more obvious places to look.

Getting interview practice isn’t always terribly easy, so it is probably worth remaining in contact with the school to see if they can help arrange anything of that ilk (remember to thank them as they will likely put a lot of time into doing so).
Original post by Emmie85

If you would like interview practice and you may already have heard about this, but I would heavily heavily reccommend zero gravity, they link you with a mentor, a uni student in your subject (in your case probs also an ox student) and you can chat with them and organise interview practice

https://www.zerogravity.co.uk/
Hi everyone!
* Subject applying for: Physics and Philosophy
* College applying to: Balliol
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking: Maths, FM, Physics, Art
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq): A*A*A*A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades: 999999999998
* Why Oxford? It is one of the only Physics and Philosohy courses, and the chance to study with people who are so passionate- and learn from experts in the field is insane!
* Why that college? (if you know why) Because i went to the taster day there and it was so beautiful and the people i talked to were really lovely (sorta changed the steriotypical private school kid i had built in my head- it gave me the courage to apply)
* State school :smile:
Reply 57
Hi!
Subject applying for: Spanish & Linguistics
College applying to: St. Hugh's
A-Levels: Spanish, English Language, and Sociology
Additional qualifications: A* in HPQ and I'm doing an EPQ
Predicated grades: so far A*A* (haven't gone the third one yet but I'm hoping for triple A* predictions)
Achieved GCSE grades: 7 x grade 9 and 4 x grade 8
Why Oxford: Why not? It's one of the only universities that offer Spanish & Linguistics and I'd rather know that I didn't get in than wonder if I could of
Why that college (if you know why): To be honest, I saw that St. Hugh's had two college cats on their website (alongside a 24/7 library, gym, and accommodation offered for all years which was what I was looking for) and I liked that it was a little further away
State/Private/Grammar/Home: state

Is anyone else applying for a MFL? I don't know anyone else applying to either Oxford or Cambridge from my college (yet alone for a MFL...) so I'm feeling a little lonely lol

:smile:
Original post by acatthat
Hi!
Subject applying for: Spanish & Linguistics
College applying to: St. Hugh's
A-Levels: Spanish, English Language, and Sociology
Additional qualifications: A* in HPQ and I'm doing an EPQ
Predicated grades: so far A*A* (haven't gone the third one yet but I'm hoping for triple A* predictions)
Achieved GCSE grades: 7 x grade 9 and 4 x grade 8
Why Oxford: Why not? It's one of the only universities that offer Spanish & Linguistics and I'd rather know that I didn't get in than wonder if I could of
Why that college (if you know why): To be honest, I saw that St. Hugh's had two college cats on their website (alongside a 24/7 library, gym, and accommodation offered for all years which was what I was looking for) and I liked that it was a little further away
State/Private/Grammar/Home: state

Is anyone else applying for a MFL? I don't know anyone else applying to either Oxford or Cambridge from my college (yet alone for a MFL...) so I'm feeling a little lonely lol

:smile:

dwww...there's lots of MFL applicants, so plenty of people to get to know, it's just a bit early in the cycle tbh, so there's plenty more to come
Original post by MayaVellichor
Hi everyone!
* Subject applying for: Physics and Philosophy
* College applying to: Balliol
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking: Maths, FM, Physics, Art
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq): A*A*A*A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades: 999999999998
* Why Oxford? It is one of the only Physics and Philosohy courses, and the chance to study with people who are so passionate- and learn from experts in the field is insane!
* Why that college? (if you know why) Because i went to the taster day there and it was so beautiful and the people i talked to were really lovely (sorta changed the steriotypical private school kid i had built in my head- it gave me the courage to apply)
* State school :smile:

My daughter went to UNIQ summer school in 2019 studying physics at Balliol. Balliol is a beautiful college. She got to interview stage (for Jesus college) but she did do the 2019 PAT test and on TSR everyone said it was one of the hardest going. That and 2012's. So probably worth doing one of the other years first so you get used to the question styles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending