The Student Room Group

University of Oxford 2024 Undergraduate Applicants Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter went to UNIQ summer school in 2019 studying physics at Balliol. Balliol is a beautiful college. She got to interview stage (for Jesus college) but she did do the 2019 PAT test and on TSR everyone said it was one of the hardest going. That and 2012's. So probably worth doing one of the other years first so you get used to the question styles.

Mine did lots of past PAT papers in preparation for the actual one she sat in 2020. She has no idea how she got on, didn’t ask and still doesn’t know, nor wants to know, how she did.
Original post by Crafty Mum
Mine did lots of past PAT papers in preparation for the actual one she sat in 2020. She has no idea how she got on, didn’t ask and still doesn’t know, nor wants to know, how she did.

PRSOM Crafty Mum. She got her feedback afterwards and think she did alright. She gots marked on various things, such as personal statement, PAT, coming from a Polar area etc and she was on a 6 out of 10 in total. If it was just onto an 7 she would have got in, but was interview which pulled her to a 6.
subject: mathematics
college: st edmund hall
A-Levels: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry
predicted/achieved grades: A* A* A predicted, A* maths achieved
GCSE: A*AAAABBBBBBC
why oxford: i really enjoy the atmosphere and architecture of the city but i also think the tutorial system that they do would really benefit me in comparison to generic lectures like other universities
why college: it's central enough while not being in the middle, i like how it's out the way and quieter, as well as being really quite pretty
state comprehensive for gcse
top performing state sixth form college for a levels
Original post by Anonymous
why oxford: i really enjoy the atmosphere and architecture of the city but i also think the tutorial system that they do would really benefit me in comparison to generic lectures like other universities

Just to make sure that you're aware, all subjects will have generic lectures, like for maths you'd have to go to the maths institute and site in the big lecture hall like other unis..it's just that on top of this you'd have your weekly problem sheets that your tutor would then mark and you'd go over in a tute - just in case you didn't know already :smile:)
Reply 64
Here’s a thread I noticed in my feed that I’d like to thank @PAT_22 for creating. It contains a wealth of useful information and great advice for anyone applying for Physics at Oxford.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376688
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Emmie85
My results are just above the entry requirements, at a 766 and 39 (the entry requirements are a 38 and 666), I had quite a lot of super curricular things that I wasn't able to mention last year most due to a lack of space to include them and I've been regularly reading law books (mostly the very short introduction books on different areas of law through the end of upper sixth)/ following legal news so I think I've got enough to talk about for another personal statement. I also was able to spend quite a lot of time last year working on a project within school about the law of war and peacebuilding (and how the law is' isn't used to solve conflicts or rebuild after one), which I would probably talk about a fair amount in my personal statement

In terms of why I think I could fare better, I know I can score higher in the LNAT, and had been scoring higher in practice exams than I did on the day and I panicked a bit in the interview, which meant I know my answers weren't as good as they could have been. Generally, I think I was a bit unsure of myself and feel more confident now compared to how I was last year. I'm also quite aware that I probably won't fair any better next time, but I can't quite get the idea of trying again out my head!

My children both thought of law when they were younger, and they were able to attend magistrates and county court cases (they had to dress up and were sometimes searched). You will not be allowed to view family cases. I would check with your local courts if this is allowed.

Please do bear in mind that courses like law are massively oversubscribed, and many excellent candidates will be turned away every year. Please be realistic and keep your feet on the ground.
Original post by MayaVellichor
Hi everyone!
* Subject applying for: Physics and Philosophy
* College applying to: Balliol
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking: Maths, FM, Physics, Art
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq): A*A*A*A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades: 999999999998
* Why Oxford? It is one of the only Physics and Philosohy courses, and the chance to study with people who are so passionate- and learn from experts in the field is insane!
* Why that college? (if you know why) Because i went to the taster day there and it was so beautiful and the people i talked to were really lovely (sorta changed the steriotypical private school kid i had built in my head- it gave me the courage to apply)
* State school :smile:

I am glad you have had the courage to apply, and given your grades, you stand as much chance as anyone of getting in!

Here is the physics and philosophy chapter of Oxford Demystified

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6577566&p=89634832#post89634832
Original post by acatthat
Hi!
Subject applying for: Spanish & Linguistics
College applying to: St. Hugh's
A-Levels: Spanish, English Language, and Sociology
Additional qualifications: A* in HPQ and I'm doing an EPQ
Predicated grades: so far A*A* (haven't gone the third one yet but I'm hoping for triple A* predictions)
Achieved GCSE grades: 7 x grade 9 and 4 x grade 8
Why Oxford: Why not? It's one of the only universities that offer Spanish & Linguistics and I'd rather know that I didn't get in than wonder if I could of
Why that college (if you know why): To be honest, I saw that St. Hugh's had two college cats on their website (alongside a 24/7 library, gym, and accommodation offered for all years which was what I was looking for) and I liked that it was a little further away
State/Private/Grammar/Home: state

Is anyone else applying for a MFL? I don't know anyone else applying to either Oxford or Cambridge from my college (yet alone for a MFL...) so I'm feeling a little lonely lol

:smile:

Hi there!

Exeter College (very central though) has links to the Spanish royal family and also has it's own (rather antisocial) cat called Walter. On Sunday, we spotted him hiding in some flowers on main quad.

Oxford Demystified - French and Spanish

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6439260

Cambridge Demystified - Linguistics

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6898140&p=93469388#post93469388
Original post by Anonymous
subject: mathematics
college: st edmund hall
A-Levels: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry
predicted/achieved grades: A* A* A predicted, A* maths achieved
GCSE: A*AAAABBBBBBC
why college: it's central enough while not being in the middle, i like how it's out the way and quieter, as well as being really quite pretty
state comprehensive for gcse
top performing state sixth form college for a levels

Hi there

Here is the maths chapter of Oxford Demystified

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6465960&p=88358268#post88358268
Hello Oxford 2024 applicants!

I came across a Discord group for Oxford applicants, feel free to DM me if you want to join!

* Subject applying for ~ Medicine
* College applying to ~ Christ Church College
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Biology Chemistry Physics Maths Further Maths Spanish
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ 6 A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 A* 3A
* Why Oxford? ~ I love the vibes of the city (the university academics are also amazing), mix of countryside with city life.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Have a lot of friends there.
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Grammar
Original post by Oxbridge2024
Hello Oxford 2024 applicants!

I came across a Discord group for Oxford applicants, feel free to DM me if you want to join!

* Subject applying for ~ Medicine
* College applying to ~ Christ Church College
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Biology Chemistry Physics Maths Further Maths Spanish
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ 6 A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 A* 3A
* Why Oxford? ~ I love the vibes of the city (the university academics are also amazing), mix of countryside with city life.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Have a lot of friends there.
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Grammar

The server that I am referring to is the official server of r/Oxbridge. They made chats for 2024 applicants.
Reply 71
Original post by Oxbridge2024
The server that I am referring to is the official server of r/Oxbridge. They made chats for 2024 applicants.

Quite early, but just joined thanks. Looking forward to seeing all the Oxford applicants soon!

It is great to see all the applicants trying to get to know each other early on. Good luck everyone!
Subject applying for ~ History
College applying to ~ Wadham
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ IB HL English Lang and Lit, History, Psych, SL Spanish, Bio, MAI
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ IB 42/45 in latest mocks
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ I don't have grades from semester 2 year 9 to semester 2 year 10 since I'm australian.. didn't do any qualification (hoping this doesn't work against me)
Why Oxford? ~ I like Wadham college and the tutorial system (ik this is SUCH a cliche answer) and the idea of studying abroad is super exciting to me!
Original post by stelliferous2
Subject applying for ~ History
College applying to ~ Wadham
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ IB HL English Lang and Lit, History, Psych, SL Spanish, Bio, MAI
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ IB 42/45 in latest mocks
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ I don't have grades from semester 2 year 9 to semester 2 year 10 since I'm australian.. didn't do any qualification (hoping this doesn't work against me)
Why Oxford? ~ I like Wadham college and the tutorial system (ik this is SUCH a cliche answer) and the idea of studying abroad is super exciting to me!

Rare fellow Australian who also doesn't have Semester 2 year 9 to Semester 2 year 10 grades?! I didn't realize this was a common experience for us.
Reply 74
Original post by TypicalNerd
Here’s a thread I noticed in my feed that I’d like to thank @PAT_22 for creating. It contains a wealth of useful information and great advice for anyone applying for Physics at Oxford.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376688

Thanks man, it's nothing :biggrin: if there's a demand I might make a full set of physics notes for the physics part of the PAT :redface:
Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter went to UNIQ summer school in 2019 studying physics at Balliol. Balliol is a beautiful college. She got to interview stage (for Jesus college) but she did do the 201worth doing one of the other years first so you get used to the question styles.

Thank you! I'll definitely do that :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by closetarchivist
Rare fellow Australian who also doesn't have Semester 2 year 9 to Semester 2 year 10 grades?! I didn't realize this was a common experience for us.

omg lol yeah, covid messed me up, i think we literally just apply with our year 12 scores tho!!!
Original post by stelliferous2
omg lol yeah, covid messed me up, i think we literally just apply with our year 12 scores tho!!!

Me too. Thank goodness for that. I was worried about how trying to explain it would go down.
Reply 78
Original post by closetarchivist
Me too. Thank goodness for that. I was worried about how trying to explain it would go down.

I think over the last two years Gcse's have been less important at Oxford as they realise people were affected very differently so the same would hold for your position.
Reply 79
* Subject applying for ~ Mathematics and Computer Science
* College applying to ~ St Anne’s
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science
* Predicted grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*AA
* Achieved GCSE’s (grades 1-9) ~ 888888875
* Why Oxford? ~ The course is really interesting and I like how it’s split 50/50 between the two subjects. Oxford is also a lovely place and isn’t too far from where i live which is nice.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ I visited a few colleges on the open day and St Anne’s just felt right and I really liked it there.
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ State

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending