The Student Room Group

University of Oxford 2024 Undergraduate Applicants Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PAT_22
Thanks man, it's nothing :biggrin: if there's a demand I might make a full set of physics notes for the physics part of the PAT :redface:

I mean that sounds incredible (just if you need proof of demand) :smile:
H
Reply 81
Original post by MayaVellichor
I mean that sounds incredible (just if you need proof of demand) :smile:
H

It’s already getting out of hand - I think I got carried away and started adding a lot more in depth physics that is probably overkill for the PAT :tongue:
Here it is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jt0b9cDEEgU6nUFJUyZfWp_Qkh1Zx9VbAGLcpNM4Mes/edit?usp=sharing
Original post by PAT_22
It’s already getting out of hand - I think I got carried away and started adding a lot more in depth physics that is probably overkill for the PAT :tongue:
Here it is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jt0b9cDEEgU6nUFJUyZfWp_Qkh1Zx9VbAGLcpNM4Mes/edit?usp=sharing

You are a life saver!! :smile: thank you!
Reply 83
Original post by MayaVellichor
You are a life saver!! :smile: thank you!

I've only just started :s: who knows how much motivation I have before I give up XD
You'll have to push me to do it if you want results :P
Original post by PAT_22
I've only just started :s: who knows how much motivation I have before I give up XD

Woooo you got this!! Sending tons of motivation!!
Original post by PAT_22

thank you sm
Reply 86
Original post by PAT_22

I feel the same way!! Im starting to prepare for the MAT which looks sooo challenging. But you’ll do amazingly!! You’ve got this.
hii i was on the forum last year as an applicant and received an offer for experimental psychology! if anyone has any questions about the TSA/personal statement/ applying in general feel free to message me and I will help however i can. My school had never got anyone into oxbridge before and my parents didn't go to uni so I had to figure it all out on my own with the help of tsr and some useful youtube videos etc which im also happy to share if anyone wants them.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 88
Original post by PAT_22

Help it is really getting out of hand, someone reign me in
Reply 89
Original post by PAT_22

I won’t even be studying physics (doing it at A level was enough to scare me off doing it at uni lol) and I’ve briefly read over those notes just now. They are fascinating and they read very nicely.

Keep up the amazing work.
Reply 90
Heya, I'm a current Classics student - just wanted to drop by and say 1) Classics is a cool subject that combined history, literature and languages and you might want to consider applying and 2) I'm very happy to answer any questions about Oxford/Classics if it's of any help!
Reply 91
Original post by elilast
Heya, I'm a current Classics student - just wanted to drop by and say 1) Classics is a cool subject that combined history, literature and languages and you might want to consider applying and 2) I'm very happy to answer any questions about Oxford/Classics if it's of any help!

Hi elliast how time flies.How are you getting on?
Original post by elilast

Hey! I actually considered classics at one point but was told by someone else that there was no point unless I could already read latin or greek.
Reply 93
Original post by closetarchivist
Hey! I actually considered classics at one point but was told by someone else that there was no point unless I could already read latin or greek.

Hey! Agh, I'm sorry someone told you that :s-smilie: At Oxford you absolutely don't have to have already learnt Greek or Latin - you can learn one or both from scratch (this is also possible at Cambridge, KCL, Durham and possibly elsewhere but I haven't checked). They've adapted the courses since far fewer people have the chance to study Latin or Greek compared to about 50 years ago! I have quite a few friends who came to study Classics and Oxford and had never studied either so it's absolutely possible.

Not sure if you're now applying for a different subject haha, but this is kind of to explain more generally to everyone that you definitely don't have to already know Latin and Greek to apply for Classics at Oxford.

Original post by Scotney
Hi elliast how time flies.How are you getting on?

Hiya! I'm good thanks, I'm just about to start final year :eek: which I can't really believe - feels like I was applying to uni just yesterday! Hope you're well :smile:
Reply 94
Hello! Just a quick query
I was wondering for a course as competitive as Oxford med, would AS level results be taken into account? On the website it states something about not getting AAA, but as I have taken 4 AS levels, would getting AAAB disadvantage me in any way?
Reply 95
Original post by taroparo
Hello! Just a quick query
I was wondering for a course as competitive as Oxford med, would AS level results be taken into account? On the website it states something about not getting AAA, but as I have taken 4 AS levels, would getting AAAB disadvantage me in any way?

As long as the B is not in a required subject it should not matter.You will have taken the BMAT so a good score in that is much more relevant than a fourth A level grade.
Reply 96
Original post by Scotney
As long as the B is not in a required subject it should not matter.You will have taken the BMAT so a good score in that is much more relevant than a fourth A level grade.

Brilliant, thanks!
Reply 97
Original post by taroparo
Brilliant, thanks!

No problem.:smile:
* Subject applying for ~ History
* College applying to ~ Balliol or Merton
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ History, Biology, Classical Civilisation, EPQ
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*A
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 999998887
* Why Oxford? ~ I love the idea of the tutorial system and the ancient library books. Seems much more academia focused in comparison to other unis I visited and also because they want you to love what you do.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Balliol because the professors are nice and super helpful when I asked for an interview for my EPQ. Merton because I like the motto- still torn between the two.
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ State
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by gilmoregirl04
hii i was on the forum last year as an applicant and received an offer for experimental psychology! if anyone has any questions about the TSA/personal statement/ applying in general feel free to message me and I will help however i can. My school had never got anyone into oxbridge before and my parents didn't go to uni so I had to figure it all out on my own with the help of tsr and some useful youtube videos etc which im also happy to share if anyone wants them.

Thanks for helping and congratulations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending