The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharon.nesbitt
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi Sharon, would appreciate if you could share with me. System won’t allow me to pm unfortunately. Many thanks, Dani.
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Original post by juliewho
27th September 10-1 - email [email protected] to sign up.

This is helpful, thanks
Original post by chief_labrat
Hi Sharon, would appreciate if you could share with me. System won’t allow me to pm unfortunately. Many thanks, Dani.

Original post by Medic1234562014
Hi Sharon, would be great if you don’t mind sharing! Not able to PM yet as I haven’t posted enough. Thanks.

Hello. I have the same problem too - can't send PMs yet

Hello Sharon.Nesbitt. Thanks for posting this. I am interested as this would be incredibly helpful. However, I can't send PMs yet.
Reply 24
Hi all, I’ve decided today to apply again (medical route). I sat the exam last year and did well on the WG and RANRA but didn’t make the minimum mark on the SJT. I’m here for any or all SJT and interview tips people have, happy to share my experience if it’s helpful.
Reply 25

Thank you so much sharon.nesbitt! Could you please message me this information too? :smile:
Reply 26

Hi Sharon, I am not able to PM you but would really appreciate if you could share this resource with me please. Thanks!
Reply 27

Hi Sharon, would be really grateful if you could share with me. Also not able to PM yet as I haven’t posted enough. Cheers.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by SARCtoPH
Hi all, I’ve decided today to apply again (medical route). I sat the exam last year and did well on the WG and RANRA but didn’t make the minimum mark on the SJT. I’m here for any or all SJT and interview tips people have, happy to share my experience if it’s helpful.

Please do share your experience of how you prepared for each test and also why you think the SJT didn’t go as well? I know there’s not as many practice tests available so it’s definitely harder to feel prepared for the SJT
Reply 29

Hi, I am interested in these resources too:smile:
Original post by jyafah
Hi, I am interested in these resources too:smile:

Me three Sharon! Sorry you've been inundated!

any advice at how to prep for RANRA. I find the practice qs so hard!
Reply 32
Original post by wakwakwaka
any advice at how to prep for RANRA. I find the practice qs so hard!

You have to practice with paper/pen or a whiteboard just like in the exam. If you find you can’t do certain types of question under pressure, BBC bite size is quite good for refreshing your memory for example I had completely forgotten how to cross multiply fractions. Get as quick as you can at recognising equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages because that will help you move faster under pressure. And keep practicing!
Reply 33
Original post by veg-queen
Please do share your experience of how you prepared for each test and also why you think the SJT didn’t go as well? I know there’s not as many practice tests available so it’s definitely harder to feel prepared for the SJT

The SJT is the last exam and carries the most weight. After a full hour of intense maths and logic you only have a 5 minute break before you dive straight in. There’s a LOT of text per question and it’s really tough to stay on time while also thinking through with any kind of strategy. This is where I’ll be focussing my attention this time
You have to practice with paper/pen or a whiteboard just like in the exam. If you find you can’t do certain types of question under pressure, BBC bite size is quite good for refreshing your memory for example I had completely forgotten how to cross multiply fractions. Get as quick as you can at recognising equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages because that will help you move faster under pressure. And keep practicing!

Was it as hard as the jobtestprep q's? Appreciate the tips btw!
The SJT is the last exam and carries the most weight. After a full hour of intense maths and logic you only have a 5 minute break before you dive straight in. There’s a LOT of text per question and it’s really tough to stay on time while also thinking through with any kind of strategy. This is where I’ll be focussing my attention this time

Thanks for the reply, it must be so hard to do them all back to back with only 5 minute break!
Reply 36

hi im hoping to apply this year also medical route, can you please tell me what sort of experience you had in public health before you applied, i have found it difficult to arrange a taster week.
Regarding the ranra and WG test, when did you book these tests?
Thanks
Reply 37
Thanks for setting up this thread. I am a non-medic and trying to decipher the eligibility criteria... Where it asks: "Can you confirm that a minimum of 3 months whole time equivalent (WTE) at Band 6 level or equivalent are within the three and a half years before the advertised start date of this post?" - Does anyone know if this experience can be at above band 6? I am a civil servant and I haven't been an HEO (which I think is band 6 equivalent since 2020). Any advice on this criteria and also how civil service grades read across to NHS AfC bands would be welcome!
Original post by catjh95
Thanks for setting up this thread. I am a non-medic and trying to decipher the eligibility criteria... Where it asks: "Can you confirm that a minimum of 3 months whole time equivalent (WTE) at Band 6 level or equivalent are within the three and a half years before the advertised start date of this post?" - Does anyone know if this experience can be at above band 6? I am a civil servant and I haven't been an HEO (which I think is band 6 equivalent since 2020). Any advice on this criteria and also how civil service grades read across to NHS AfC bands would be welcome!

Yes it has to be at least band 6 but it’s fine if it’s higher than that. I also started my application today and am not from a medical background - oriel is so horrible to use and confusing!

I am not a civil servant but I would agree that HEO is grade 6 as my current role is equivalent to SEO and I’ve put that in as grade 7. How much detail are you putting in to justify the grade? It doesn’t say you have to do it in oriel but it is mentioned in the FAQ from HEE.
Reply 39
Original post by abccde23
hi im hoping to apply this year also medical route, can you please tell me what sort of experience you had in public health before you applied, i have found it difficult to arrange a taster week.
Regarding the ranra and WG test, when did you book these tests?
Thanks

I don’t have any direct experience of public health. Just attendance at the local recruitment events (virtual)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending