The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello all, I’m applying medical route this year but I’m a bit older and my last round of st1 applications was over a decade ago. Very pleased to meet some others who are applying as it’s all a bit odd doing it solo.

Anyone who wants to make a study group or who wants to have a wee virtual cup of tea during the process do please get in touch.

Pleased to meet you all and good luck.

Sarah
Reply 41
Original post by sharon.nesbitt
I can't help with London, but in Wales it is a percentage of a band 8d, so presume it would be similar. You are covered by pay protection, so the minimum you would receive is a match to your current role. An example of what our registrars receive is at ST1 it is 45%, so in the region of £44k. rising each year incrementally.

Hi Sharon, thanks for offering to share these resources. I am interested as these would be incredibly helpful, however, like many I can't send PMs yet!
Original post by catjh95
Thanks for setting up this thread. I am a non-medic and trying to decipher the eligibility criteria... Where it asks: "Can you confirm that a minimum of 3 months whole time equivalent (WTE) at Band 6 level or equivalent are within the three and a half years before the advertised start date of this post?" - Does anyone know if this experience can be at above band 6? I am a civil servant and I haven't been an HEO (which I think is band 6 equivalent since 2020). Any advice on this criteria and also how civil service grades read across to NHS AfC bands would be welcome!

Band 6 is HEO level, you need 3 months at band 6 or above.
Reply 43
Hello all, on the application form I can’t see anywhere to write free text about reason for application or previous public health experience or anything other than demographic information really. Am I missing something or is it purely an eligibility assessment? Thank you
Original post by Drsed23
Hello all, on the application form I can’t see anywhere to write free text about reason for application or previous public health experience or anything other than demographic information really. Am I missing something or is it purely an eligibility assessment? Thank you

Yeah the long listing is based on eligibility not any of the selection criteria. If you’re non medical then you have a box to explain how your experience is relevant but if you’re applying as a medic I don’t think you’ll have that.
Reply 45
Original post by veg-queen
Yeah the long listing is based on eligibility not any of the selection criteria. If you’re non medical then you have a box to explain how your experience is relevant but if you’re applying as a medic I don’t think you’ll have that.

Thanks that’s really helpful. this process is quite different to other applications I’ve done. It feels really odd to send in nothing except past employment history!
Reply 46
Thank you! I think I’ll write some detail to evidence that I have worked at an equivalent to band 6 or above (e.g. mentioning pay scales, managing a team etc.) but was planning to keep it brief. I agree though, it’s quite unclear and I am worried I fill it in wrong!

Original post by veg-queen
Yes it has to be at least band 6 but it’s fine if it’s higher than that. I also started my application today and am not from a medical background - oriel is so horrible to use and confusing!

I am not a civil servant but I would agree that HEO is grade 6 as my current role is equivalent to SEO and I’ve put that in as grade 7. How much detail are you putting in to justify the grade? It doesn’t say you have to do it in oriel but it is mentioned in the FAQ from HEE.
Reply 47
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi Sharon,

I would also appreciate these resources if you were able to send them. I am unable to send private messages just yet, are you able to send me a message so that I can forward you my email address?

Many thanks,
Stacey
Reply 48
Original post by anonymosy
With the completion of the 2023 round of recruitment, this thread is meant for those planning to apply for the 2024 round (and those who have succeeded previously and wish to help with information). Hopefully, we can support each other towards favorable outcomes by next year.

Hello . I’m also applying. Anyone knows and materials we can use? Are there any practice groups as well? Thank you
Original post by Drsed23
Hello all, I’m applying medical route this year but I’m a bit older and my last round of st1 applications was over a decade ago. Very pleased to meet some others who are applying as it’s all a bit odd doing it solo.

Anyone who wants to make a study group or who wants to have a wee virtual cup of tea during the process do please get in touch.

Pleased to meet you all and good luck.

Sarah

keen for virtual study group
Reply 50
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi! I’d be really grateful for these resources but unable to PM. Thank you!
Have PM'd you as it won't let me leave an email on here. It should allow you to read it but not respond.

Happy Sharon, got a question regarding referees. Currently got 2 referees but for the 3rd one (ie most recent employer) I'm struggling finding someone. There is an nhs scheme I am a part of and I am thinking of using 1 of the directors from that as a referee, but problem is, that scheme is an unpaid schrme. Would they be suitable?
Would anyone mind sharing the resources from Sharon? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Happy Sharon, got a question regarding referees. Currently got 2 referees but for the 3rd one (ie most recent employer) I'm struggling finding someone. There is an nhs scheme I am a part of and I am thinking of using 1 of the directors from that as a referee, but problem is, that scheme is an unpaid schrme. Would they be suitable?

*Hi Sharon (apologies for typing happy, my autocorrect )
Hi everyone, for non-medics applying and adding in their work experience - have you put the date of your current post as ending on 06/08/2024? It doesn't let you leave the end date blank and when I entered any end date before 06/08/2024 it came up as an employment gap
Reply 55
Hi everyone, for non-medics applying and adding in their work experience - have you put the date of your current post as ending on 06/08/2024? It doesn't let you leave the end date blank and when I entered any end date before 06/08/2024 it came up as an employment gap

Hi, I put end date as 1/8/24 which it accepted without leaving an employment gap.
Hi Sharon,

I'm also unable to PM but would be interested in the resources - what's the best way for me to share my email?

Thanks,

Henna

People who have applied in the past and reapplying this year, how much have you copied and pasted from last year?

For me, it's mostly the same but am worried about an employment gap which I have no evidence to support (tldr - had a bunch of illnesses and a bizarre situation which restricted what work I could do till it was sorted. Nothing sinister but a stupid admin issue)

I would have thought voluntary 'employers' would be suitable. I can't say for sure as I'm not part of the recruitment team, but usually voluntary work counts when it comes to references within the NHS.
Hi everyone, the application form has changed slightly from last year.
For those applying from a non-medic background, in the employment history section:
- what have you put for post-type? Is working for a local authority public health team in 'Other'
- what about 'speciality'? Would it be 'Other' or 'Public Health Medicine'

Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending