The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, the application form has changed slightly from last year.
For those applying from a non-medic background, in the employment history section:
- what have you put for post-type? Is working for a local authority public health team in 'Other'
- what about 'speciality'? Would it be 'Other' or 'Public Health Medicine'

Many thanks!

Ignore me - sorted it 🙂
Reply 61
Argh so annoyed with myself… just realised I’ve put my unclassified degree as my primary qualification instead of my MPH… does anyone know if this will affect my eligibility? I have, of course, detailed my MPH but under higher degrees instead of primary qualification. Such a stupid mistake to make. Have a horrible feeling I’ve just written myself off completely for this year!!
Reply 62
Original post by Sprova
Argh so annoyed with myself… just realised I’ve put my unclassified degree as my primary qualification instead of my MPH… does anyone know if this will affect my eligibility? I have, of course, detailed my MPH but under higher degrees instead of primary qualification. Such a stupid mistake to make. Have a horrible feeling I’ve just written myself off completely for this year!!

Hi; see what happens? Hopefully they will just take the MSc but if they don’t you can email the admin team and clarify.
Reply 63
Original post by AngPH
Hi; see what happens? Hopefully they will just take the MSc but if they don’t you can email the admin team and clarify.

Thanks for your reply, you’re right I suppose all I can do is see what happens! I sent an email off last night explaining so fingers crossed it clears up any misunderstanding.
Original post by Sprova

Have you submitted already? If not. I wouldnt worry about it. If you have, you've done the right thing to contact them
Impatiently waiting for a new employer to sort out paperwork as I can say I'll be working from x date rather than appearing unemployed since end of september
Original post by Sprova

Also pardon my ignorance but wouldn't an mph also mean you could have applied for a st2 position?
Original post by sharon.nesbitt
I would have thought voluntary 'employers' would be suitable. I can't say for sure as I'm not part of the recruitment team, but usually voluntary work counts when it comes to references within the NHS.

Fingers crossed.
Reply 68
Also pardon my ignorance but wouldn't an mph also mean you could have applied for a st2 position?

Potentially, but they won’t guarantee that you will go straight to St2 with an MPH… you might, or they may shorten your st1 to my understanding? But not in all cases as far as I’m aware and according to what I’ve read on other forums etc

Guidance states that registrars should no longer go into an ST2 position but be assessed during their first year.
Reply 70
Original post by veg-queen
Yeah the long listing is based on eligibility not any of the selection criteria. If you’re non medical then you have a box to explain how your experience is relevant but if you’re applying as a medic I don’t think you’ll have that.

This is very interesting as I am a non-medic and I was not longlisted last year, when my job and experience are closely related to public health. I think other non-medics felt a bit lost as per why they were not longlisted too. I assumed that the 200 word statement was the reason but I am not sure now whether they felt my job was not senior enough. I welcome any experiences similar from last year or insights 🙏🏽
Reply 71
Original post by Jacub91
Really pleased to have found this thread. I’m hoping to assemble a bit of a study support group for non-medical applicants. Also I’d really welcome recommendations for revision resources.

Hey, as a non-medic I'd definitely be interested in being part of this study support group please 🙂
Reply 72
Original post by SARCtoPH
Hi all, I’ve decided today to apply again (medical route). I sat the exam last year and did well on the WG and RANRA but didn’t make the minimum mark on the SJT. I’m here for any or all SJT and interview tips people have, happy to share my experience if it’s helpful.

Definitely interested in chatting through approaches to the SJT!
Reply 73
Original post by veg-queen
Yes it has to be at least band 6 but it’s fine if it’s higher than that. I also started my application today and am not from a medical background - oriel is so horrible to use and confusing!

I am not a civil servant but I would agree that HEO is grade 6 as my current role is equivalent to SEO and I’ve put that in as grade 7. How much detail are you putting in to justify the grade? It doesn’t say you have to do it in oriel but it is mentioned in the FAQ from HEE.

Also a non-medic applying who I wasn't eligible last year -
Yeah the stuff around justifying grade is all a bit unclear. Some people (who have been successful) showed how their experience 'ticks' grade 6 in a separate para at the bottom. They basically listed generic bits from their roles. Anyone approached this differently?
Reply 74
Original post by DrLHHG
This is very interesting as I am a non-medic and I was not longlisted last year, when my job and experience are closely related to public health. I think other non-medics felt a bit lost as per why they were not longlisted too. I assumed that the 200 word statement was the reason but I am not sure now whether they felt my job was not senior enough. I welcome any experiences similar from last year or insights 🙏🏽

I'm in a very similar position. Non-medic, not longlisted last year when job and experience was closely related to public health. Not fully confident I know how to tackle the level 6 bit. Maybe we can chat further?
Reply 75
Original post by Drsed23
Hello all, I’m applying medical route this year but I’m a bit older and my last round of st1 applications was over a decade ago. Very pleased to meet some others who are applying as it’s all a bit odd doing it solo.

Anyone who wants to make a study group or who wants to have a wee virtual cup of tea during the process do please get in touch.

Pleased to meet you all and good luck.

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

Definitely interested in being part of a study group 🙂
Reply 76
Original post by Anonymous #2
Essentially band 6 equivalent is if you earn more than £32k a year (might be 34k). Usually involves some amount of management experience as well. So 2 years and above experience at band 6+.

For me, for example, I'm technically doing 2 jobs which aren't nhs banded but 1 is equivalent of 7 and the other band 6.but have way more experience than that at 7.

Does band 6 definitely involve some management experience? I guess that would mean for civil servants that band 6 is probably not equivalent to HEO...
Original post by Tsoss
Does band 6 definitely involve some management experience? I guess that would mean for civil servants that band 6 is probably not equivalent to HEO...

Heo is prettymuch band 6 in terms of pay but b6 remit does vary from different orgs. Like in my case when I was a Heo, I did some management but I think it also depends on the organisation as well tbh. If you are the go to person for something, like say prison outbreaks for example, you could leverage that
Original post by SARCtoPH
Hi all, I’ve decided today to apply again (medical route). I sat the exam last year and did well on the WG and RANRA but didn’t make the minimum mark on the SJT. I’m here for any or all SJT and interview tips people have, happy to share my experience if it’s helpful.

Hello, please you could kindly share what materials you used for WG and RANRA?
Original post by Sprova

Hello, please I'm new here, I just want to understand this better. Are you are applying at a Medic? if yes, is one suppose to put MSc at their primary medical qualification and not MD/MBBS?
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending