The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Emmanueltj
Hello, please I'm new here, I just want to understand this better. Are you are applying at a Medic? if yes, is one suppose to put MSc at their primary medical qualification and not MD/MBBS?

Hello,

Sorry no I am applying as a non-medic.
Original post by Sprova
Hello,

Sorry no I am applying as a non-medic.

Alright, thank you for your reply.
Original post by Emmanueltj
Hello, please I'm new here, I just want to understand this better. Are you are applying at a Medic? if yes, is one suppose to put MSc at their primary medical qualification and not MD/MBBS?

Not a medic but your primary equal would be your medical degree. Postgraduate stuff is secondary. Have you completed f2?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Not a medic but your primary equal would be your medical degree. Postgraduate stuff is secondary. Have you completed f2?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have.
Reply 84
Heo is prettymuch band 6 in terms of pay but b6 remit does vary from different orgs. Like in my case when I was a Heo, I did some management but I think it also depends on the organisation as well tbh. If you are the go to person for something, like say prison outbreaks for example, you could leverage that

Thanks that's really useful.

How are people making sure they're ticking all the NHS band 6 boxes?
I feel like I am at band 6 in my work, but concerned I might not be ticking the specific boxes.
The NHS job evaluation handbook is pretty complicated, and I cant find any job profiles that are that useful, apart from the project manager one, unless I am missing something?
Would really appreciate any help, thanks so much.
Original post by Tsoss

I feel like I am at band 6 in my work, but concerned I might not be ticking the specific boxes.
The NHS job evaluation handbook is pretty complicated, and I cant find any job profiles that are that useful, apart from the project manager one, unless I am missing something?

Honestly can't comment about it much without knowing your circumstances tbh but with me last year, it was a case of highlighting everything I did at b6 and above.

Like for the b6 roles I have done, I listed what I did in terms of project work, but also other duties I did in the role. I have experience with non-b6 roles which I kinda feel bear more impact but the b6 stuff enhances it I reckon. I'm doing the same approach this year but have to modify it a bit as I had to go down to b6 for a few months and despite that being less experience than the other b6 role I have done in the last 3.5 years, it has a more variety and scope in those 3 months than the 10 months in the other b6 role (having the 10 month thing feel redundant and makes it a headache for the 200 word count, whereas omitting it keeps me at 190 words).
Original post by Tsoss

At the end of the day, just make sure you specify in the section asking about population health how you feel your role(s) are relevant because you don't really have much of a chance to highlight it otherwise.
Personally I'm annoyed I can't use a course I am on or a project I'm working on outside of work as that is literally born from addressing population health
gentle reminder: application deadline for PH ST1 applications and the joint GP & PH ST1 applications is 4pm today (5 hours away)
Reply 88
Hi
Just joining........have submitted my application, feels exciting. I'm non-medical too. Good luck everyone!
Reply 89
Original post by SARCtoPH
Hi all, I’ve decided today to apply again (medical route). I sat the exam last year and did well on the WG and RANRA but didn’t make the minimum mark on the SJT. I’m here for any or all SJT and interview tips people have, happy to share my experience if it’s helpful.

Hi - interested to hear about your experiences and also which resources you used to practice? Thanks!
Reply 90
Original post by SARCtoPH
You have to practice with paper/pen or a whiteboard just like in the exam. If you find you can’t do certain types of question under pressure, BBC bite size is quite good for refreshing your memory for example I had completely forgotten how to cross multiply fractions. Get as quick as you can at recognising equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages because that will help you move faster under pressure. And keep practicing!

Thanks for the info.......do you get paper/pen and whiteboard in the exam? Anything else? Did you manage to get through all the questions?
Reply 91
Original post by sharon.nesbitt
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi Sharon
Looks like you're the most popular person on here! I'd also like to know about the resources - I'll PM you once I've got past my 3 days :-)
Original post by Beck10
Thanks for the info.......do you get paper/pen and whiteboard in the exam? Anything else? Did you manage to get through all the questions?

They give you an A4ish sized laminate with pen - if you run out of space you can just put your hand up and ask for another
Reply 93
Original post by chief_labrat
They give you an A4ish sized laminate with pen - if you run out of space you can just put your hand up and ask for another

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, did anyone have issues with oriel on the 23rd? I submitted my application on the 22nd but kept having tech issues. It got sent off eventually but it's always a worry
Reply 95
Out of curiosity, did anyone have issues with oriel on the 23rd? I submitted my application on the 22nd but kept having tech issues. It got sent off eventually but it's always a worry

There was one bit that it kept refusing to save. Eventually managed to persuade it! Printed off what I’d submitted and fortunately everything was in there but I know what you mean, it’s a bit unnerving…..
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi, it won't let me private message you!! ☹️
Study group anyone?
I am unable to message Sharon, would anybody be kind enough to share the resources? Thank you
Reply 99

Hi Sharon.
Would you be able to share the resources with me? Thank you
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending