The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

I got an upgrade today for my top choice Thames Valley. My rank is 55. Is anyone going to Thames Valley or know someone there? I want to ask how the training runs and if it is compulsory to do the MSc. I already have an MSc and a PhD and am experiencing education burnout.
So successful applicants also get feedback?
Original post by Anonymous #66
Would you be open to sharing what rank you were? Or what your original offer is vs your upgraded one?

Sure, original offer was for West Midlands upgraded to Wessex. Rank 93.
Original post by 82frankie
Hiya, where in WM are you going? I emailed Irfan, one of the TPDs at this link and he was very helpful. I'm sure the other 2 would be equally helpful. https://www.fph.org.uk/training-careers/specialty-training/training-placements/training-programmes/#:~:text=Training%20Programmes%20are%20run%20in,TPD)%20reporting%20to%20the%20PGD.

Thank you! I have been offered shropshire and staffordshire. I wanted to find out the working pattern/availability of remote working. Was Irfan able to help with this?
Original post by Anonymous #72
Yes also holding a post for West Midlands - their email is [email protected] but they said they won’t provide any further information until they have all the offer holders. However I have managed to get into contact with one of the consultants there - the MPH is split so you do all the modules from Mid Sep to beginning of April with no service provision & then the dissertation is in ST2.

Thanks! Yes ive looked into the masters and looks like its sept- may time with one week blocks of lectures/seminars (based on the uni website)
Reply 1065
Does anyone know if you “accept with upgrades” if it trigger’s automatic emails to referees immediately? For now I am holding a post with upgrades but obviously I’d prefer to accept with upgrades so that I still have a post even if I’m not bumped up. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by anon657!%
Thank you! I have been offered shropshire and staffordshire. I wanted to find out the working pattern/availability of remote working. Was Irfan able to help with this?
I’m in the same boat and also currently holding an offer for Shropshire & Staffordshire! If you find out anything please do update on this thread!
Reply 1067
Original post by Lexesalways
I got an upgrade today for my top choice Thames Valley. My rank is 55. Is anyone going to Thames Valley or know someone there? I want to ask how the training runs and if it is compulsory to do the MSc. I already have an MSc and a PhD and am experiencing education burnout.

Congrats! I'm heading to Thames Valley too. If you already have a masters in public health I think you don't need to do it, although I think the Oxford one is a bit more research focussed and gives a lot of training on epidemiology and R in case you're interested. The school's website suggests Jane Bishop as primary contact for queries - [email protected]
Original post by Anonymous #21
Anyone with an offer for Scotland?

What's your offer and ranking if you don't mind me asking
Sure, original offer was for West Midlands upgraded to Wessex. Rank 93.

Hi! I’m Wessex too, looking forward to meeting you!
Anyone got Lancashire and Cumbria?
Original post by Ac541
Does anyone know if you “accept with upgrades” if it trigger’s automatic emails to referees immediately? For now I am holding a post with upgrades but obviously I’d prefer to accept with upgrades so that I still have a post even if I’m not bumped up. Thanks! :smile:

Yes it does. I accepted with upgrades yesterday and my referees were sent emails.
Yes it does. I accepted with upgrades yesterday and my referees were sent emails.

Do you happen to know what kind of information they asked for? My last employer doesn't give references, only confirmation of employment so I'm a bit worried.
Original post by Medical_Student2
Anyone got Lancashire and Cumbria?

I do but can’t DM!
Original post by ataylor1
I do but can’t DM!

Messaged you
Original post by Drsed23
Hi! I’m Wessex too, looking forward to meeting you!

Hey, also in Wessex but the dual training post!
Original post by OxID
Congrats! I'm heading to Thames Valley too. If you already have a masters in public health I think you don't need to do it, although I think the Oxford one is a bit more research focussed and gives a lot of training on epidemiology and R in case you're interested. The school's website suggests Jane Bishop as primary contact for queries - [email protected]

Thanks for replying. Do you know anything about the Thames Valley rotations? remote working possibilities? I am hoping I can do short courses on epidemiology and R if needed. I want to avoid doing another MSc if I can but I will send an email to Jane Bishop after the offer period closes to hear what she says.
Original post by WillowTree2020
No worries. Are you hoping for an upgrade? I got my first choice but now thinking that another location may be better commute-wise.

Yeah hoping for an upgrade, but as time goes on thinking it's getting more and more unlikely
Original post by Medical_Student2
Messaged you

I can’t reply to your DM yet!
Reply 1079
Original post by Lexesalways
Thanks for replying. Do you know anything about the Thames Valley rotations? remote working possibilities? I am hoping I can do short courses on epidemiology and R if needed. I want to avoid doing another MSc if I can but I will send an email to Jane Bishop after the offer period closes to hear what she says.

There's some info about their rotations on their website: https://www.oxsph.org/registrars/placements/. I've heard Thames Valley is particularly flexible with tailoring the training programme to fit your interests, but I'm not sure about remote working tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending