The Student Room Group

Picking A levels

I have to pick my a levels soon and am having problems deciding what ones to take, I want to study law at university and every opinion I can find has conflicting opinions on what is good and bad.
At the moment I am looking to take: English Literature (or combined English), Religious studies, economics and sociology but I need to narrow it down to three and was hoping I could get some advice surrounding a levels people like/dislike or feel has helped them with a similar career/university offer.
I find looking at the spec for each subject helps. For example, at the college I want to go to for Religious Studies they only study one religion in detail which I think I'd find boring. But in their Philosophy course they study a number of different religions. So find out the exam board and look at all the topics for each subject, and choose what interests you most.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Law does not require any specific subjects which means you can keep your A-Levels open. One of my friends studied Politics, Philosophy and Photography and is now studying Law at university.

Doing essay based subjects, humanities or social sciences can help develop the skills you will need for your degree so your current options are great. You could take those four then drop the one that you dislike after the first year?
Original post by Add13
I have to pick my a levels soon and am having problems deciding what ones to take, I want to study law at university and every opinion I can find has conflicting opinions on what is good and bad.
At the moment I am looking to take: English Literature (or combined English), Religious studies, economics and sociology but I need to narrow it down to three and was hoping I could get some advice surrounding a levels people like/dislike or feel has helped them with a similar career/university offer.

Hey @Add13 ,

Usually universities do not require you to have taken certain a-levels so when it comes to a-levels I would say choose the ones you enjoy the most. This is because I think it makes working for them easier e.g. you may be more motivated to study a subject you enjoy so you become more likely to perform better. Having said that though, doing a-levels that are related to the degree you want to do can be very helpful.

Your choices sound great so far, are you able to take all four off to start with and drop one after one term? It is hard making a decision before getting a taste of each of the subjects. Doing essay based subjects would help you prepare for a humanities degree.

Are there two in those options you definitely want to keep?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest