The Student Room Group

Free school meals and Oxford

Hey guys, currently in yr12 and I want to apply for Oxford university.
I’ve been on free school since the covid pandemic. My dad wasn’t working throughout the whole of the pandemic due to him being apart of healthcare and him being very vulnerable (and my mom doesn’t work), so it was quite difficult as soon as school started for my parents to pay for stuff as for a whole 6-12 months, we had no family income.
I don’t know how the process works, but my parents requested the government/school if they could offer free school meals for me as it would help our situation greatly, and I did end up receiving so.
We were going to cancel the free school meals later down the line, though school told me that I was able to keep it for a few more years.
I still have free school meals currently and this will last me to the end of yr13.
I did check the ‘context data’ for Oxford and here is the link:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data

If you scroll down to point 4, you will see that I do have some contextual data to put down in my personal statement (or for my teacher to reference)
Will I actually be eligible for this?
Because I haven’t had free school meals since I was in year 1.
Free school meals for my brother and I started when I was roughly in yr10 (that was when I went back to school after COVID)
many thanks.
Reply 1
Sorry guys I made 2 posts about this as I didn’t know why this wasn’t going through (I’m new to this app) pls respond on this forum!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7370429
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, currently in yr12 and I want to apply for Oxford university.
I’ve been on free school since the covid pandemic. My dad wasn’t working throughout the whole of the pandemic due to him being apart of healthcare and him being very vulnerable (and my mom doesn’t work), so it was quite difficult as soon as school started for my parents to pay for stuff as for a whole 6-12 months, we had no family income.
I don’t know how the process works, but my parents requested the government/school if they could offer free school meals for me as it would help our situation greatly, and I did end up receiving so.
We were going to cancel the free school meals later down the line, though school told me that I was able to keep it for a few more years.
I still have free school meals currently and this will last me to the end of yr13.
I did check the ‘context data’ for Oxford and here is the link:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data

If you scroll down to point 4, you will see that I do have some contextual data to put down in my personal statement (or for my teacher to reference)
Will I actually be eligible for this?
Because I haven’t had free school meals since I was in year 1.
Free school meals for my brother and I started when I was roughly in yr10 (that was when I went back to school after COVID)
many thanks.

@Oxford Mum might be able to help you.
Reply 3
There has been a duplicate non anon thread set up for this, and I have already answered the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending