The Student Room Group

I'm always feeling drained physically and emotionallu when my family comes to stay.

My sister is a homeowner and has a friend whose moving in temporarily for 4 to 5 months as his current lease is ending and he managed to get a flat secured but it's not available for another 4 to 5 months until the previous tenant lease is expiring, that tenant already has a new flat secured.

My oldest sister, middle sister, older sister husband, my niece and now her friend is living there. My middle sister called me to say the friend is moving in this Friday and my middle sister said she would like to stay with me this whole weekend as she wants to give him some space so he can settle in.

I agreed but I started dreading it. I currently rent my one bedroom flat and I told her she's sleeping on the sofa (guests normally sleep pn my bed and I sleep on the sofa but as she was my sister, sod it).

Yesterday, my sister arrived at 11:00am. Before she arrived I was full of energy, completely motivated, happy and relaxed. As soon as she arrived and I answered the door it's like in an instant my body went from being happy, energised and feeling mentally okay, and motivated to being completely tired physically, mentally and emotionally I even had to take two naps. I can't wait for her to go Monday.

Me and my sibilings have never gotten along, the only way we communicated with each other was by shouting at each other, screaming at each other and chucking stuff at each other.

Since my neice was born we've not chucked stuff at each other even though she's one, if we do argue we tend to do it at my flat without the baby present.

To be honest, reason why I'm posting this is I would like to know if there's a reason why O always feel likw this when my family come roumd? When my sibling comes round with my neice I'm looking forward to seeing my neice but when its just my sisters or any other family members I feel dread.

Is there a reason why I feel this way all the time?
Reply 1
Honestly, I think this kind of thing is really common and it's all to do with the family dynamic. On the surface, everyone's behaviour sounds reasonable but under the surface there are hidden expectations. Your sister made what sounds a like a thoughtful decision regarding her friend but in doing so, you got dumped on and were expected to take it on without a murmur. I suspect this is part of your family dynamic. As to what to do about it, I honestly think if you can tolerate the occasional invasion of your space, then I would. Family feuds and fall outs are awful and the impact of them is far worse that the occasional spat. But what's most important is that you stop beating yourself up how you feel, which is perfectly understandable in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending