The Student Room Group

15 and confused about makeup

i'm a 15 years old girl and have never put on makeup and i don't think i'm pretty. hate having photos taken of me and incredibly insecure about my breasts. hate my teeth, hair and height. does any of this resonate with anybody?
I'm 16 years old, girl. I feel exactly the same way. I have big dark circles under my eyes, and I hate it. I always look so tired, even when I'm super hyper. My teeth are crooked, but I can't get braces yet. I'm also insecure about my skin tone, I've had complete strangers tell me that I look sickly and yellow. I get so many pimples, on my forehead especially. I also hate my fingers, cause I always subconsciously pick at the skin around my nails when I'm stressed. I do karate and sometimes they'll take pictures of the whole class and post it on Facebook, I hate it but they don't let anyone skip the photo. I always see the pictures after they post it and I'm always the ugliest one. Sometimes I wish my parents would let me wear makeup.

I try to keep in mind that everyone has insecurities and that half the time no one sees your insecurities as anything but pretty. I also try to remember that God made everyone perfect. I started telling myself, "Perfect doesn't mean beautiful".
Original post by Anonymous #1
i'm a 15 years old girl and have never put on makeup and i don't think i'm pretty. hate having photos taken of me and incredibly insecure about my breasts. hate my teeth, hair and height. does any of this resonate with anybody?
Feeling insecure about your appearance is something many people go through, especially during adolescence. Here are some steps you can take to help improve your self-esteem and feel more confident:
Focus on Self-Love: Practice self-compassion and acceptance. Remind yourself of your worth beyond physical appearance. Identify things you like about yourself, whether it's your personality, talents, or qualities.
Explore Your Style: Experiment with different clothing styles that make you feel comfortable and confident. Finding clothes that suit your body type and personal taste can boost your confidence.
Learn About Makeup: If you're curious about makeup, consider experimenting with it as a form of self-expression rather than a tool to cover up perceived flaws. There are plenty of tutorials available online for beginners, and you can start with simple, natural looks if you prefer.
Take Care of Yourself: Practice good hygiene, get enough sleep, eat healthily, and stay active. Taking care of your physical health can positively impact your mental well-being and self-esteem.
Seek Support: Talk to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor about your feelings. They can offer support, perspective, and encouragement.
Challenge Negative Thoughts: When negative thoughts about your appearance arise, challenge them by reminding yourself of your strengths and accomplishments. Consider keeping a journal to track your thoughts and identify patterns of negative self-talk.
Consider Professional Help: If your insecurities are significantly impacting your well-being and daily life, consider seeking support from a mental health professional. They can help you develop coping strategies and work through underlying issues contributing to your low self-esteem.
Remember that beauty comes in many forms, and everyone has unique qualities that make them special. Learning to embrace and love yourself for who you are is a journey, but it's worth the effort. Be patient with yourself and celebrate your individuality.
Original post by Anonymous #3
I'm 16 years old, girl. I feel exactly the same way. I have big dark circles under my eyes, and I hate it. I always look so tired, even when I'm super hyper. My teeth are crooked, but I can't get braces yet. I'm also insecure about my skin tone, I've had complete strangers tell me that I look sickly and yellow. I get so many pimples, on my forehead especially. I also hate my fingers, cause I always subconsciously pick at the skin around my nails when I'm stressed. I do karate and sometimes they'll take pictures of the whole class and post it on Facebook, I hate it but they don't let anyone skip the photo. I always see the pictures after they post it and I'm always the ugliest one. Sometimes I wish my parents would let me wear makeup.
I try to keep in mind that everyone has insecurities and that half the time no one sees your insecurities as anything but pretty. I also try to remember that God made everyone perfect. I started telling myself, "Perfect doesn't mean beautiful".

It's understandable that you're feeling insecure about your appearance, but it's important to remember that you are not defined by your perceived flaws. Here are some ways to boost your confidence and feel better about yourself:
Focus on Your Strengths: Instead of dwelling on your perceived flaws, focus on your strengths and positive qualities. Celebrate your talents, personality traits, and accomplishments.
Practice Self-Care: Take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Get enough sleep, eat healthily, exercise regularly, and practice relaxation techniques to reduce stress.
Seek Professional Help: If your skin concerns are bothering you, consider consulting a dermatologist for advice and treatment options. They can recommend skincare products and routines to help improve the appearance of your skin.
Challenge Negative Thoughts: When negative thoughts about your appearance arise, challenge them by reminding yourself of your worth and capabilities. Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations.
Find Supportive People: Surround yourself with friends and family who uplift and support you. Avoid spending time with people who make you feel insecure or inadequate.
Engage in Activities You Enjoy: Pursue activities and hobbies that make you feel happy and confident. Whether it's karate, art, music, or something else entirely, doing things you love can boost your self-esteem.
Consider Counseling: If your insecurities are significantly impacting your mental well-being, consider talking to a counselor or therapist. They can help you explore your feelings, develop coping strategies, and work through underlying issues contributing to your low self-esteem.
Practice Self-Compassion: Treat yourself with kindness and understanding. Remember that everyone has insecurities, and it's okay to have flaws. Be gentle with yourself and practice self-compassion.
Express Yourself: Find ways to express yourself creatively and authentically. Whether it's through art, writing, or fashion, expressing yourself can help boost your confidence and self-esteem.
Set Realistic Goals: Set achievable goals for yourself and work towards them. Celebrate your progress and accomplishments along the way.
Remember, building confidence takes time and effort, but with patience and self-love, you can learn to embrace and celebrate your unique beauty and worth. You are deserving of love and respect just as you are.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1

Gal you’re not alone. When I was 12 I burnt my face with products that claimed to be for sensitive skin. It was red and purple and peeling for months. I’m 17 now and my skin is still slightly redder than it was before. I was developed anorexia at 15 because I hated my body so much. I get you- everyone is insecure in teen years, and it is the time in which people tend to be the ‘ugliest’ just because of puberty, so no you may not feel so bad about yourself forever. If you want to wear makeup for yourself do, but if you want to wear it for your insecurities don’t. I would highly recommend (if you honestly don’t think you’re that pretty- and you may be prettier than you think) learning to tie your self-worth to something other than your appearance. Some quality you really excel at. It could be academic ability, creativity, empathy, your ability to lift others up, a strong sense of morality- anything like that. It’s difficult to do but it helps so much in the long run.
Reply 5
Original post by Hunter Ibarra
Feeling insecure about your appearance is something many people go through, especially during adolescence. Here are some steps you can take to help improve your self-esteem and feel more confident:
Focus on Self-Love: Practice self-compassion and acceptance. Remind yourself of your worth beyond physical appearance. Identify things you like about yourself, whether it's your personality, talents, or qualities.
Explore Your Style: Experiment with different clothing styles that make you feel comfortable and confident. Finding clothes that suit your body type and personal taste can boost your confidence.
Learn About Makeup: If you're curious about makeup, consider experimenting with it as a form of self-expression rather than a tool to cover up perceived flaws. There are plenty of tutorials available online for beginners, and you can start with simple, natural looks if you prefer.
Take Care of Yourself: Practice good hygiene, get enough sleep, eat healthily, and stay active. Taking care of your physical health can positively impact your mental well-being and self-esteem.
Seek Support: Talk to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor about your feelings. They can offer support, perspective, and encouragement.
Challenge Negative Thoughts: When negative thoughts about your appearance arise, challenge them by reminding yourself of your strengths and accomplishments. Consider keeping a journal to track your thoughts and identify patterns of negative self-talk.
Consider Professional Help: If your insecurities are significantly impacting your well-being and daily life, consider seeking support from a mental health professional. They can help you develop coping strategies and work through underlying issues contributing to your low self-esteem.
Remember that beauty comes in many forms, and everyone has unique qualities that make them special. Learning to embrace and love yourself for who you are is a journey, but it's worth the effort. Be patient with yourself and celebrate your individuality.

This is such good advice! This definitely, for the OP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending