The Student Room Group

Pride London

So I recently came out as trans along with my partner who is non binary , and we decided to attend pride in London earlier today - only to be turned down at the door because we weren’t part of a group or organisation meaning we couldn’t participate in the parade and could only just watch from the sidelines . Heartbroken and disappointed me and my partner decided to head home for the day which was easier said then done (2 tubes stations were closed until we reached Oxford Circus which was thankfully open and we could go home) . Anyway anyone who has been to pride know why individuals who are on the LGBTQ spectrum or members of the public can’t participate in the parade ? It’s my first time and I have no clue why and would love for someone to explain .
Reply 1
You have to apply to be in the parade, even as an individual. They can't just let everybody who turns up walk the route for health and safety reasons; it would be far too crowded and they don't know who is participating. Eventually the streets have to reopen and activities/stalks be cleared for traffic and normal business to resume.

Keep an eye out for next year; they'll also want help with things like stewarding if you want to get involved in the running of it.
Original post by Surnia
You have to apply to be in the parade, even as an individual. They can't just let everybody who turns up walk the route for health and safety reasons; it would be far too crowded and they don't know who is participating. Eventually the streets have to reopen and activities/stalks be cleared for traffic and normal business to resume.

Keep an eye out for next year; they'll also want help with things like stewarding if you want to get involved in the running of it.

Yeah they should keep an eye out for people watching it it was more crowded on the street rather than the parade itself . Getting out was chaos literally you had LGBT supporters and allies and then a small tiny gap where members of the public who weren’t watching where tryna get through . A lot of pushing and shoving was involved from people behind me (non spectators) trying to get out .

Nah I know I can get inside the parade as a steward due to the fact that I’m a worker but that kills the whole point of it I want to have fun not go and watch as a worker the whole thing will end up more like I’m there for business and kills the aspect of it . Even more boring than me standing like a toad as a normal person watching from the sidelines
Reply 3
Original post by Kiyomiwong95x
Yeah they should keep an eye out for people watching it it was more crowded on the street rather than the parade itself . Getting out was chaos literally you had LGBT supporters and allies and then a small tiny gap where members of the public who weren’t watching where tryna get through . A lot of pushing and shoving was involved from people behind me (non spectators) trying to get out .

Nah I know I can get inside the parade as a steward due to the fact that I’m a worker but that kills the whole point of it I want to have fun not go and watch as a worker the whole thing will end up more like I’m there for business and kills the aspect of it . Even more boring than me standing like a toad as a normal person watching from the sidelines

As I said, you can apply to the march to take part as an individual; if it's the same next year, you'll just have to be quick off the mark.
Original post by Surnia
As I said, you can apply to the march to take part as an individual; if it's the same next year, you'll just have to be quick off the mark.

Yh I’ll think about it and keep an eye out
Reply 5
Original post by Kiyomiwong95x
So I recently came out as trans along with my partner who is non binary , and we decided to attend pride in London earlier today - only to be turned down at the door because we weren’t part of a group or organisation meaning we couldn’t participate in the parade and could only just watch from the sidelines . Heartbroken and disappointed me and my partner decided to head home for the day which was easier said then done (2 tubes stations were closed until we reached Oxford Circus which was thankfully open and we could go home) . Anyway anyone who has been to pride know why individuals who are on the LGBTQ spectrum or members of the public can’t participate in the parade ? It’s my first time and I have no clue why and would love for someone to explain .

Google is your friend
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+participate+in+pride+parade&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB924GB924&oq=participate+in+pride&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhgeMggIAhAAGBYYHjIKCAMQABiGAxiKBTIKCAQQABiGAxiKBTIKCAUQABiGAxiKBdIBCDQ2OTVqMWo5qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

First link
https://prideinlondon.org/parade/take-part/

Thanks that’s exactly what the other person said applications for next year’s one isn’t open just yet but I will have a look and sign up when it does . Thanks for your help though I know how it works and how to join now for the next parade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending