The Student Room Group

santander railcard

Hi,
I am starting uni and am planning to commute. I have seen everyone talk about railcards but am unsure on how they would work?
How does getting the specific santander one give me discounts?

If someone could explain i would be grateful!!
Reply 1
Original post by xoliaaa
Hi,
I am starting uni and am planning to commute. I have seen everyone talk about railcards but am unsure on how they would work?

I’m not sure exactly where your confusion lies, but I’ll explain as best as possible :smile: When you buy a train ticket online, you tick an option saying you have a railcard and it will give you a 1/3 discount. It’s one of the perks that Santander gives to entice you to open a student account with them. Otherwise you would have to pay around £70 to buy a railcard.

If a ticket inspector asks to see your ticket, you’d show both your ticket and railcard to prove your discount.

If you’re commuting in London, you can take the railcard to your nearest train station and the staff can connect the railcard discount to your Oyster card, which also gets you 1/3 discount on TfL (which makes a HUGE difference).

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by xoliaaa
Hi,

Hi there @xoliaaa

For the Santander railcard, it allows you to get a discount on all the trains you commute on.

(If you are booking your train ticket online e.g. trainline, you should be able to see the option to select your railcard. This will automatically apply the discount to your train ticket.)

Whilst you are commuting, you may be asked to show your ticket to the ticket inspector and they may ask for your Santander railcard ID. So just make sure you bring your railcard and ticket with you when commuting by train.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
For the Santander railcard, it allows you to get a discount on all the trains you commute on.

This isn't true -- there are limitations on the railcard which means that not all journeys are eligible for the discount. For example, there's a £12 minimum fare that applies from 04.30 to 10.00 Monday to Friday (though it doesn't apply to Advance tickets, or to journeys on public holidays, or to journeys during July and August).

(If you are booking your train ticket online e.g. trainline, you should be able to see the option to select your railcard. This will automatically apply the discount to your train ticket.)

As an aside, I'd recommend buying directly from a train operating company (TOC), e.g. GWR, LNER, etc, rather than via trainline. A TOC can sell all the tickets you could get from trainline, but the TOC won't charge a booking fee, whereas trainline will.

Whilst you are commuting, you may be asked to show your ticket to the ticket inspector and they may ask for your Santander railcard ID. So just make sure you bring your railcard and ticket with you when commuting by train.

To be clear -- if you've bought a ticket with the railcard discount, you need to be able to produce the physical railcard or the show the railcard on your app if you've opted for the digital version. If you can't produce the railcard either physically or via the app, your ticket is invalid, and the person checking the tickets can proceed as if you have no ticket at all.
Reply 4
Original post by shfoshs
I’m not sure exactly where your confusion lies, but I’ll explain as best as possible :smile: When you buy a train ticket online, you tick an option saying you have a railcard and it will give you a 1/3 discount. It’s one of the perks that Santander gives to entice you to open a student account with them. Otherwise you would have to pay around £70 to buy a railcard.

If a ticket inspector asks to see your ticket, you’d show both your ticket and railcard to prove your discount.

If you’re commuting in London, you can take the railcard to your nearest train station and the staff can connect the railcard discount to your Oyster card, which also gets you 1/3 discount on TfL (which makes a HUGE difference).

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so so much. I understand now, thank you!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending